Old 22-08-2003, 05:58 PM
ken ken is offline
Registered User

I don't currently have a heron problem (thank the powers that be), but I did have a crow problem. I got a sling shot. I did not try to kill the birds, but I did scare them. A sting or two from a sling shot just might make the bird stay away.
Old 22-08-2003, 06:32 PM
K30a

Default Heron Attack!!

Bob wrote Keep tossing feeder goldfish into
your pond and enjoy "your" birds.

This was my plan if our heron came back.
(Hard to see the *named* fish go, though.)
Our heron turned out to be half chicken / half heron around the fearsome
watergardening labradors so after
the first day of hysteria on the dogs' part the heron skeedaddled.

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 22-08-2003, 07:12 PM
Sam Hopkins

Man there's all kinds of things in the world today that are illegal and we
break them all the time. You're not allowed to kill a raccoon or muskrat
either when it's not fur season but it happens all the time. If there's an
animal destroying your property kill it or catch it and relocate it. It's
more humane then wrapping fishing line around it or sending 50,000 volts
through it.

Sam

"K30a" wrote in message
Sam wrote Shoot it

Be aware that if you are caught it is
a major fine shooting a migratory bird
protected by federal treaty. The last
fine levied around here was $5000.

Old 22-08-2003, 07:42 PM
K30a

Sam,
I'm going to take you to task on this....
before we start posting lethal solutions regarding herons (or any other
critter) on the net I think we need to warn people of the legalities. Right or
wrong, fair or unfair.
There was a fellow in the next town over, a police chief, who shot the heron
eating up the goldfish in the town's pond. He was fined $5000 and lost his job.
A major impact on this fellow's life and family. I just don't feel comfortable
letting your 'shoot them' posts go by without comment.
As for humane, you can't damage the bird in any way. Don't try to catch it, it
can severely damage you, and in one instant a heron drove his beak into a
naturalist's head and killed him. Stringing fishing line along the ground won't
wrap the bird up, electric shock fences shock, they don't kill. (been there,
done that several times, still alive)
Different states have different rules about mammals. Best to call them or local
animal control.
Many of the ornamental ponders who come here live in suburbs and you just
aren't allowed to blast away in your backyard.
Many pond keepers aren't up for killing an animal. There have to be other
options and the lethal ones can be dangerous, illegal and downright cruel. A
lot of us don't have the stomach for it.
If it comes to that I'd advise people to contact the professionals - fish and
game, animal control, licensed trappers.

Sam wrote

Old 22-08-2003, 09:32 PM
Sam Hopkins

I was talking to my neighbor the other day. He told me he stuck out a trap
for a raccoon the other night. He said the next morning he found he had
caught a skunk. I laughed and said, "How'd you get him out, or did you make
your son do it?" He replied: "Oh I just shot it."

Now I agree that you shouldn't go around blowing up herons or geese because
one happens by. But if one is destroying your pond and your fish you have a
right to take him out. People will sit there and protect a heron yet take
their dog scruffy to the vet to be put down because they don't want him
anymore.

I think it's funny that people build ponds to be able to enjoy them and see
them and walk around them and yet when a heron starts destroying it they put
up electric fences and cover them with animal netting, put up water cannons,
etc because they are scared of the MBA.

Now I saw a post of about using a paintball gun. I think that's a great
idea. It probably won't kill the bird and you'll get some feeling of
"Justice" but it's still illegal - You cant maim them.

People think that herons are some "special" bird because it's protected by
the MBA. Here's a few mo

Barn-Owl
Black-Bird
Blue Bird
Blue Jay
Cardinal
CROW - HOW ABOUT THAT ONE
Dove
Ducks
Finch
Goose
Hawk
Humming Bird
Killdeer
Robin
SPARROW - WHAT THE HECK
BARN SWALLOW
TURKEY VULTURE
Wood Peckers

Crazy huh? Just shoot it - but don't get caught. =)

Sam

Old 22-08-2003, 09:42 PM
joe

K30a wrote:

Bob wrote Keep tossing feeder goldfish into
your pond and enjoy "your" birds.

This was my plan if our heron came back.
(Hard to see the *named* fish go, though.)

Yeah, that is our current plan. I miss the Koi though, there was something
about a fish swimming up to you knowing who you were (or, more likely,
knowing you meant food.) Oh well, my turtle does that now. I hope he's too
heavy for those damned birds.

Joe

Old 22-08-2003, 10:12 PM
K30a

Sam wrote He replied: "Oh I just shot it."

Sam, you've got to live out in the country.
Shoot the neighborhood skunk here and the police show up asap.

because they are scared of the MBA

What is a MBA?

Old 22-08-2003, 10:12 PM
K30a

My next pond....
(DH wants to move to the country
when youngest toddles off to college.)
I want to do an above ground *pond*
probably more of a water feature, but
with a heavy duty grate at the water
level (for future grandchildren).
Ought to help discourage herons.

Old 22-08-2003, 11:03 PM
Theo van Daele

Shoot the neighborhood skunk here and the police show up asap.

I guess in some parts of the world even shooting the neighborhoud won't make
the police show up asap

But to be serious: even if it were perfectly legal (which it is not, not in
Europe either BTW), what right do we have to kill those awesome birds ? Do
we only "love" our fish or are we in awe with "nature" ?

And yes, before you ask, most of my fish are named. But the more animals
you keep (and respect) the more strange it appears to kill another species,
just because they don't coincide with your plans.

Herons killing fish is "natural", us enjoying the presence of these
beautiful fish isn't. Finding a balance is key I think.

I really loved the half joke about tossing in feeder fish to keep herons,
very good, and so true in a way :-)

Old 23-08-2003, 01:02 AM
Jerrispond

Unfortunately determined herons will land in the water and paddle around
likea
duck. Not a very good version of a duck but that doesn't seem to

botherthem...

Shoot it.....you won't have any trouble after that Jerri

Old 23-08-2003, 01:02 AM
Jerrispond

Paint.
Ball.
Gun.

NO.......22 hollowpoint!! Jerri

Old 23-08-2003, 01:22 AM
K30a

Jerrie wrote NO.......22 hollowpoint!!

(well, somebody has got to do this, I'll
take it on.)

Standard Rec.Ponds Caveat:
"It is unlawful, by any means or manner' to
take, capture or kill migratory birds".
Fines and jail time interfere with ponding.

(I'm going to post this everytime shooting a
heron is given as an alternative method of
control. It is wrong to lead innocent ponders
to think this is an option. If you don't like it,
sue me ;-)

Old 23-08-2003, 05:26 AM
Steve Noel

After losing nine of my largest fish (about a foot long ) to a heron I
took a motion detector like you use for your outside lights and
connected it to a fire alarm strobe light and put the motion detector on
the "test" mode so it would work during the day time. It has been three
months and no more fish have been taken. You must use a small 24 volt
transformer with this set up and a rectifier that costs under two
dollars.
=A0=A0=A0=A0The flash of that strobe is more than they can stand but it
is not somthing that will hurt or kill them.
Steve

Old 23-08-2003, 04:32 PM
Critical Popperian

Anyone got anymore hints.

Turn your heron into a feature of your garden!

Do what I did/am doing. Move the pond near your house, build a roof
over
it and screen it in as part of a patio

No more problems! Since we've done this it's been nice because the
herons land
in the top ponds, they eat the minnows and frogs and we get to watch
them right in our backyard! I plan on keeping the top ponds stocked
with small fish for them all the time.
Old 23-08-2003, 08:04 PM
Jerrispond

Standard Rec.Ponds Caveat:"It is unlawful, by any means or manner' to
take, capture or kill migratory birds".
Fines and jail time interfere with ponding.
(I'm going to post this everytime shooting a heron is given as an

alternative method ofcontrol. It is wrong to lead innocent pondersto think
this is an option. If you don't like it,sue me ;-)

I think it is good for you to post that......this is a board of
opinions.....and after these years we have known each other you KNOW I will
not get mad at you Kathy.....besides you have to be a really good shot, cause
if you miss you will put a hole in the liner!! Love ) Jerri