Old 23-08-2003, 11:02 PM
K30a

Default Heron Attack!!

Love )
back at 'ya, Jerri ;-)

Holes in the liner also take up
too much pond time and
pond dollars.
Maybe we could get the bullfrogs
after the herons, instead of the
other way around.

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 24-08-2003, 12:12 AM
Anne Lurie

Net the pond.

"TC" wrote in message news:ayf1b.16355$K44.3898@edtnps84...
I don't think that would help. One thing that I was told and seems to be

the
case is that herons are wading birds and that they do not land on water.

Herons are indeed wading birds; they don't land on water, they land on
something solid & wade into the water.

Nothing over the top of the pond would help if that is indeed the case.

Netting should help, because herons like something solid, like a deck --
not something "bouncy" like netting.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 24-08-2003, 02:42 AM
dkat

knock on wood

We live near Long Island Sound and have quite a few herons in the area.
While kingfisher have successfully taken my fish, I have never been bothered
by the herons (that I know of) even though we have seen them in the tree
above the pond salivating. My pond is ~2.5' deep and has absolutely no
slope to the sides. I have plastic baskets (like milk crates rectangular
rather than square) which my plants sit on that have one edge raised up so
that fish are able to nest inside. It could be just luck that the herons
have not bothered my fish, that they have enough food locally that it isn't
worth their bother (except a friend near by who has sloping sides has lost
most of her fish), or it may be the characteristics of my pond that I just
described.

"TC" wrote in message news:8ef1b.16159$K44.10203@edtnps84...
I thought that I had figured out a way to discourage the heron from
visiting. I put up a fake heron. I put in a duck. I stretched fishing line
over the top of the pond and around the pond.
The heron came straight down from a nearby tree and landed next to the

pond.
Then stepped through the fishing line to the pond.
So I put an electric fence around the pond with 4 wires. It came down and
stepped through the fence. It jumped a bit but didn't stop.
So I put 2 more wires on the fence. The heron came down and landed inside
the fence. The fence is about 3 feet from the pond with shrubs and rocks.
So I moved the fence right to the pond edge inside the shrubs etc. We'll

see
what happens now.
The heron just came back. Both of us were in the yard by the pond with two
dogs there. It swooped over and landed on the roof of the house.
Each time it got into the pond I raced out and clapped my hands to scare

it
off. It just moved off to a nearby tree or roof and waited.
It seemed to watch what I was doing.
I thought it needed a large flight path to land. I know now that it does
not. It came down almost vertically.
There seems to be a pair of them. I don't know if it is the same one each
time.
Anyone got anymore hints. Apart from getting ride of my fish. Not that I
have many left.

Old 24-08-2003, 03:02 AM
dkat

And I think it is more than tragic that God's creations are destroyed so
that "Man's" creation can be protected. Each day undeveloped land the size
of a small city is wiped out, pushing wildlife out of their feeding,
breeding, living space. Then we humans bitch and complain because they come
into "our" territory trying to survive. More extinctions are occurring now
then during the time of the mass extinction of dinosaurs. You seem to find
it amusing that a man shot and killed a defenseless skunk trapped in a cage.
That skunk would rid your yard of grubs, snails and slugs which you probably
are trying to get rid of using poisons that are ending up in our water table
contributing to the cancers that women and children are getting (they are at
greater risk than men). Personally I and most other people would rather
have a world filled with natural wonders and beauty than a K-mart imitation.

DKat

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
.. .
I was talking to my neighbor the other day. He told me he stuck out a trap
for a raccoon the other night. He said the next morning he found he had
caught a skunk. I laughed and said, "How'd you get him out, or did you

make
your son do it?" He replied: "Oh I just shot it."

Now I agree that you shouldn't go around blowing up herons or geese

because
one happens by. But if one is destroying your pond and your fish you have

right to take him out. People will sit there and protect a heron yet take
their dog scruffy to the vet to be put down because they don't want him
anymore.

I think it's funny that people build ponds to be able to enjoy them and

see
them and walk around them and yet when a heron starts destroying it they

put
up electric fences and cover them with animal netting, put up water

cannons,
etc because they are scared of the MBA.

Now I saw a post of about using a paintball gun. I think that's a great
idea. It probably won't kill the bird and you'll get some feeling of
"Justice" but it's still illegal - You cant maim them.

People think that herons are some "special" bird because it's protected by
the MBA. Here's a few mo

Barn-Owl
Black-Bird
Blue Bird
Blue Jay
Cardinal
CROW - HOW ABOUT THAT ONE
Dove
Ducks
Finch
Goose
Hawk
Humming Bird
Killdeer
Robin
SPARROW - WHAT THE HECK
BARN SWALLOW
TURKEY VULTURE
Wood Peckers

Crazy huh? Just shoot it - but don't get caught. =)

Sam

"K30a" wrote in message

Sam,
I'm going to take you to task on this....
before we start posting lethal solutions regarding herons (or any other
critter) on the net I think we need to warn people of the legalities.

Right or
wrong, fair or unfair.
There was a fellow in the next town over, a police chief, who shot the

heron
eating up the goldfish in the town's pond. He was fined $5000 and lost

his
job.
A major impact on this fellow's life and family. I just don't feel

comfortable
letting your 'shoot them' posts go by without comment.
As for humane, you can't damage the bird in any way. Don't try to catch

it, it
can severely damage you, and in one instant a heron drove his beak into

naturalist's head and killed him. Stringing fishing line along the

ground
won't
wrap the bird up, electric shock fences shock, they don't kill. (been

there,
done that several times, still alive)
Different states have different rules about mammals. Best to call them

or
local
animal control.
Many of the ornamental ponders who come here live in suburbs and you

just
aren't allowed to blast away in your backyard.
Many pond keepers aren't up for killing an animal. There have to be

other
options and the lethal ones can be dangerous, illegal and downright

cruel.
lot of us don't have the stomach for it.
If it comes to that I'd advise people to contact the professionals -

fish
and
game, animal control, licensed trappers.

Sam wrote
Man there's all kinds of things in the world today that are illegal

and
we
break them all the time. You're not allowed to kill a raccoon or muskrat
either when it's not fur season but it happens all the time. If there's

an
animal destroying your property kill it or catch it and relocate it.

It's
more humane then wrapping fishing line around it or sending 50,000 volts
through it.

Old 24-08-2003, 03:12 AM
dkat

And that comment is a reflection of why I and my friends boycott your site.

"Jerrispond" wrote in message
Unfortunately determined herons will land in the water and paddle around

likea
duck. Not a very good version of a duck but that doesn't seem to

botherthem...

Shoot it.....you won't have any trouble after that Jerri

Old 24-08-2003, 03:12 AM
dkat

"Critical Popperian" wrote in message
om...
Anyone got anymore hints.

Turn your heron into a feature of your garden!

Do what I did/am doing. Move the pond near your house, build a roof
over
it and screen it in as part of a patio

No more problems! Since we've done this it's been nice because the
herons land
in the top ponds, they eat the minnows and frogs and we get to watch
them right in our backyard! I plan on keeping the top ponds stocked
with small fish for them all the time.

Old 24-08-2003, 05:12 PM
Jerrispond

And that comment is a reflection of why I and my friends boycott your site.

If you have "boycotted" the site......why are you here? HELLO.....Jerri

Old 25-08-2003, 02:42 AM
dkat

said nothing about rec.ponds. Rec.ponds is a great news room. I was
talking about a business that I thought you ran... Once again... What's that
I hear about violins on TV!????

Old 25-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Sam Hopkins

MGA = Migratory bird act.

I live in the suburbs but own property in the not so far country. Just tell
the police the car backfired when they come. =)

Sam

"K30a" wrote in message
Sam wrote He replied: "Oh I just shot it."

Sam, you've got to live out in the country.
Shoot the neighborhood skunk here and the police show up asap.

because they are scared of the MBA

What is a MBA?

Old 25-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Sam Hopkins

Nah I dont find it amusing, I just wanted to point out that it's acceptable
in some parts of the US.

I agree that nature has to run it's own course, however if you feel your
heron is a problem - shoot it.

Sam

.net...

Old 26-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Cichlidiot

dkat wrote:
knock on wood

We live near Long Island Sound and have quite a few herons in the area.
While kingfisher have successfully taken my fish, I have never been bothered
by the herons (that I know of) even though we have seen them in the tree
above the pond salivating. My pond is ~2.5' deep and has absolutely no
slope to the sides. I have plastic baskets (like milk crates rectangular
rather than square) which my plants sit on that have one edge raised up so
that fish are able to nest inside. It could be just luck that the herons
have not bothered my fish, that they have enough food locally that it isn't
worth their bother (except a friend near by who has sloping sides has lost
most of her fish), or it may be the characteristics of my pond that I just
described.

It probably is the fact your pond does not have slopping sides. At my
undergrad university, there was a koi pond with a stream and waterfall.
The koi pond proper had sides that went straight down, no slopes. The
stream was so shallow that no adult goldfish or koi could really swim
there. There was never a loss of goldfish or koi to anything other than
humans (some people threw walking stones into the pond one night, fatally
wounding the oldest koi). The things the herons, especially one green
heron, would eat were the mosquito fish that were in the stream. Those
reproduced quickly enough in the main pond to keep their population
stable. The herons probably prevented the population from being totally
out of control. When someone released several crawdaddies into the stream,
those were quickly eaten by the herons too.