Old 24-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Mike Miller

Default Poll: plants in gravel or clay/soil?

I'm planning an expansion of my pond next year to deal with some issues I
created. One of them is poor plant growth in marginals that are in clay
soil but with no additional fertilizer.

One one side of the argument is plants in clay/soil do better, but might not
be able to get at nutrients present in the pond, thus allowing string algae
to outcompete them as the clay "keeps" the nutrient flow away from the
roots. (BTW, I'm not presenting this as fact, just trying to figure things
out!). I have to wonder about this when I see arrowroot growing huge in the
natural ponds around here, yet my in-kitty-litter arrowroot is but a puny
shadow (well, it's also in a pot...). One could fertilize and they would do
better, but why add nutrients here if the pond is already producing SA,
meaning there is excess N and P in the pond already? (I, like many of you,
add K regularly)

On the other side is that plants in gravel or gravel beds, or just tossed
into the water can take up nutrients in the water faster or better, allowing
them to grow better and (hopefully) out-compete the SA.

I suppose pot size per plant would also be a factor here - perhaps my
marginals need bigger pots? But I do know that the WH and other
toss-them-into-the-pond type plants (parrot feather, et al) do fine.

So, how about a poll. Whose marginals are in gravel and whose are in soil
of some type? How well do they grow? Do you fertilize, or add K at all to
your pond? Maybe this could be a useful thread to collect some real life
data.

Old 24-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default plants in gravel or clay/soil?

Our plants are all in 1-2" rocks or free floating. Growth is fine

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley

Old 24-08-2003, 09:22 PM
zookeeper

Mike Miller wrote:
... Whose marginals are in gravel and whose are in soil
of some type? How well do they grow? Do you fertilize, or add K at all to
your pond? ...

All plants in 1-2 inch lava rock and/or river pebbles, topped with 3-5
inch river rock (rounded, mostly flat and smooth); except lotus (when I
have it) in clay / loam. I don't feed anything except lotus when I have it.

Everything grows well, except now that I'm adjusting KH, I'm noticing
that some plants do better with low KH and some do better with high KH.
Am still planning to add some potash, which I expect will even out some
of the differences caused by raising the KH.
--
Zk
3500gal pond, 13 pond piggies (automatic fertilizing machines)

Old 24-08-2003, 11:12 PM
K30a

The last two years I've had my lilies
a) tied to a rock and sunk
b) tied to a mesh plant basket
and sunk with a couple big rocks.

Neither method was very impressive
as far as blooms are concerned.
I've been lowering my fish stock so the amt. of fish business for fertilizer
hasn't been as much.
The hyacinths in the veggie filter are still growing green and tall, though.

Next year --- I'm putting in something, clay media, soil, pea gravel in the
lily baskets and I'm going to make it easier to
fertilize.

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 25-08-2003, 01:12 AM
Gregory Young

I've been using pea gravel, covered by 2 inch river rock for several
reasons:
1) Koi don't root around in it, like they did soil containing pots (they are
benthic feeders, are love to root around in the dirt looking for munchies)
2) If it spills, it's a lot easier to clean up than soil, and they do spill!
3) It's easy to divide, and prevents loss of material clinging to roots
(dirt clings more easily than pea gravel which washes away, usually without
any root ball damage..
4) There is much less compaction (of soil base), so less H2S and methane
production
5) it's really no heavier than clay soil
I did the studies a few years back comparing lily growth and bloom in pea
gravel vs. soil.
You need to be sure to use a slow release fertilizer that supplements agents
soil usually contains (minerals, etc), not just the N, Phosph and Potash. I
use what Longwood gardens uses.. highland rim. if you fertilize there is no
difference in plant vigor/blooms. if you forget to (as I have done), there
seems to be less blooming, but no difference in leaf production.. that's for
lilies.
I have always had my marginals in pea gravel, without fertilization, and
they do great.
Happy ponding,
Greg

Old 25-08-2003, 04:12 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 13:13:30 -0700, zookeeper wrote:

Mike Miller wrote:
... Whose marginals are in gravel and whose are in soil
of some type? How well do they grow? Do you fertilize, or add K at all to
your pond? ...

I don't use K, some marginals are in river rock or even just big rocks
holding them in the baskets. Arrowheads, taros, & canna are in sandy soil
and were fed when I divided and maybe one more time a month ago. Lilies,
lotus in sandy soil, fed often. Most everything is in baskets with weed
fabric liner, that many roots manage to still get thru and right out into
the water flow (a good thing). Only plants I use solid pots for are the
cattails and they are in rocks and whatever dirt they've managed to hang on
to. Everything growing great, my biggest problem this year that slow things
down was due to high pH. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 25-08-2003, 04:22 AM
Tom La Bron

Mike,

Stick with clay/soil for your plants. I switched over this year and after
three months my lilies still are not doing very good. Usually this time of
the year the plants are literally growing out of the pond. My experience is
that gravel sucks, unless, of course, you are satisfied with mediocre
plants.

When I had soil in my pots I fertilized monthly.

Tom L.L.

Old 25-08-2003, 05:23 AM
Karen Mullen

In article 5l62b.245009$YN5.164904@sccrnsc01, "Mike Miller"
writes:

So, how about a poll. Whose marginals are in gravel and whose are in soil
of some type? How well do they grow?

all my plants are in pea gravel and do very well. I fertilize the lilies only,
but add potash regularly.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 25-08-2003, 05:23 AM
Karen Mullen

In article , zookeeper
writes:

Everything grows well, except now that I'm adjusting KH, I'm noticing
that some plants do better with low KH and some do better with high KH.

Zk,

have you noted what plants do better in high KH and low KH. I'm adjusting KH
also and have noticed that my WL is turning yellow. How is yours doing?
Thanks

Old 25-08-2003, 08:22 AM
zookeeper

Karen Mullen wrote:
In article , zookeeper
writes:

Everything grows well, except now that I'm adjusting KH, I'm noticing
that some plants do better with low KH and some do better with high KH.

have you noted what plants do better in high KH and low KH. I'm adjusting KH
also and have noticed that my WL is turning yellow. How is yours doing?

I don't have WL this year -- attracts too many aphids here. My normally
unstoppable dark green pickerel is yellowing, then getting crispy. I'll
add potash later this week to see if that helps. My pH didn't drop as
the KH went up (pH 9 / KH 143), so the problem might be the pH. Hmmmmm
.... more chemistry ;-) But the water lilies threw out 5-7 new leaves,
two new blossoms; and the corkscrew rush is really growing now.
--
Zk

Old 26-08-2003, 03:05 AM
Mike Miller

I did the studies a few years back comparing lily growth and bloom in pea
gravel vs. soil.
You need to be sure to use a slow release fertilizer that supplements

agents
soil usually contains (minerals, etc), not just the N, Phosph and Potash.

use what Longwood gardens uses.. highland rim. if you fertilize there is

no
difference in plant vigor/blooms. if you forget to (as I have done), there
seems to be less blooming, but no difference in leaf production.. that's

for
lilies.

Interesting - what is "highland rim"?

Old 26-08-2003, 03:05 AM
Mike Miller

Do you fertilize the liles in gravel? Doesn't the N and P leak out and get
into the water this way? I'm just thinking of ways to avoid fertilizing the
string algae.

Old 26-08-2003, 03:22 AM
Chagoi

http://www.highlandrimaquatics.com/products/

Old 26-08-2003, 04:04 AM
jammer

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 02:01:25 GMT, "Mike Miller"
wrote:

So, how about a poll. Whose marginals are in gravel and whose are in

soil
of some type? How well do they grow?

Taro, primrose, lillies, doing well in soil covered with rock. Celery
never took off and parrot feather looked great until the primrose
strangled it to death.

Old 26-08-2003, 05:43 AM
Karen Mullen

In article Vbz2b.195190$cF.64280@rwcrnsc53, "Mike Miller"
writes:

Do you fertilize the liles in gravel? Doesn't the N and P leak out and get
into the water this way? I'm just thinking of ways to avoid fertilizing the
string algae.

I do like Jan and line my pots with weed cloth then add the plants and fill the
basket. currently I have green water, but no string algae - long story!

Gravel Amount - Gravel Koi-Lo Ponds 7 08-06-2006 07:12 AM
plant pot soil add sand to the clay soil ? ghbt United Kingdom 6 21-03-2005 07:12 AM
Gravel or no gravel Barry Ponds 3 18-09-2003 12:12 AM
Clay Clay and More Clay BTInternet News United Kingdom 0 19-03-2003 09:32 PM
Kiwi plants/clay soil SugarChile Edible Gardening 0 01-03-2003 02:39 PM