Old 25-08-2003, 07:22 AM
Karen Mullen

Default PH question

I have a question regarding the Master Test Kit by Aquarium Phamaceuticals.

It has 2 Ph tests, one for freshwater and one for high Ph. If I test my
water using both tests I get different readings and I don't understand why. If
I use the freshwater test it reads 7.4, but when I do the High ph it reads 8.4
all the time anytime of the day. I believe my Ph is 7.4 because I add baking
soda to raise the KH, but why wouldn't the high range test show 7.4 also, it's
part of the color code. Anyone know why and what my Ph really is?

TIA
Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 25-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Sam Hopkins

I get wacky results like that too. I purchased a digital PH meter for
$100.00 and problems went away.

Sam

Old 25-08-2003, 05:12 PM
Lee Brouillet

Karen, "usually" problems like that come from out-of-date testing kits. But
the Master Kit should have all been the same date, more or less. The
"freshwater test" - what's its top end? You may have exceeded its limits.
If you're using baking soda to raise your KH, then your pH should balance at
8.3 or 4. But it will stay there, rock solid, without the usual shifts from
AM to PM. The shifts are hard on the fish, so "solid" is better.

Lee

Old 26-08-2003, 05:43 AM
Karen Mullen

In article , "Sam Hopkins"
writes:

I purchased a digital PH meter for
$100.00 and problems went away

a little to rich for my blood, besides, whatever my Ph is it's steady as a
rock. g

Old 26-08-2003, 05:43 AM
Karen Mullen

In article , "Lee Brouillet"
writes:

The "freshwater test" - what's its top end?

7.4 is the high end of the freshwater test.

You may have exceeded its limits.

that's very possible, but as an experiment, I tested my fishtank and tap water
the same way. Fishtank was 6.0 and 7.4 and tap water was 7.2 and 8.4. I'm
not really worried about the Ph because, as you said, it's rock solid at
whatever the number is no matter what time of day I take the readings.

Old 27-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Sam Hopkins

I used to think the same thing but then I bought one. Outside of my ponds I
have a bunch of fish tanks. Some have to be at specific PH's. I don't think
I could live without my PH meter now. If something looks amuck I just take
it out of whatever tank it's in and drop it in the tank I want to know
about. In a few seconds I have my reading.

Old 28-08-2003, 02:23 AM
Karen Mullen

In article , "Sam Hopkins"
writes:

Outside of my ponds I
have a bunch of fish tanks. Some have to be at specific PH's.

other than my pond I have one tank with a mean angel in it who kills anything I
put in with him and a small tank with an aquatic frog.

Old 05-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Susan H. Simko

Karen Mullen wrote:

other than my pond I have one tank with a mean angel in it who kills anything I
put in with him and a small tank with an aquatic frog.

Not unusual behaviour for angels. The only other fish that I have been
able to keep with angels are ones that are also semi-aggressive and that
swim fast. I love angels but after last December's ice storm with five
day power outage where I lost all my tropicals, we've started keeping
fancy goldfish in our 55 gallon tank.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu