Old 02-09-2003, 11:14 PM
Thenewguy

Default RAIN!

hey, i have a small, probably simple to answer problem. Its been raining
cats and dogs here and the liner of my pond seems to be floating up, should
i have add rocks to the bottom of my pond. i believe its all water coming in
from the ground underneath the liner...any ideas?

Old 03-09-2003, 12:14 AM
Iain Miller

"Thenewguy" wrote in message
hey, i have a small, probably simple to answer problem. Its been raining
cats and dogs here and the liner of my pond seems to be floating up,

should
i have add rocks to the bottom of my pond. i believe its all water coming

in
from the ground underneath the liner...any ideas?

The proper cure for this (as I understand it!) is to dig drainage from under
the pond to a big soakaway. I'm not sure just putting rocks in the pond will
help & it may damage the liner. Obviously it would be a hell of a task now
but you may be able to do something by digging drainage around the pond next
to it.

I.

Old 03-09-2003, 12:42 AM
Nedra

Sounds exactly like what is happening! It happened
to me my first summer with the pond. I just watched
in horror ... then called the guy who put the liner in.
He said "Join the Club."
I waited it out... the rain that is.
Then I dug a trench around the side it was coming
in... I put a 4 inch drainage hose in.. the kind with holes
all around - then gravel and
then a layer of landscape cloth - Added lots and lots of large sized pine
bark in on top of that. That was 8 or 9 years
ago... (before I knew about rec.ponds) and everything
has been fine since.

On my first web site below you can see a couple of
pictures I took of the muddy water and my two helpers.
I left the fish in the water... come to find it is best for the
koi anyway :O)

Good Luck!

Nedra

Old 03-09-2003, 01:12 AM
Mickey

If you can run a good quality hose down the side of the pond and suck it out
with a pump. If you have enough weight on the top from the pond water it
might push the ground water out once you give it a place to go.

Old 03-09-2003, 01:32 AM
RichToyBox

The water under the liner will probably seep into the ground within a few
days of the rain stopping. If it does not, then a piece of tubing/pipe
inserted down along the edge of the liner to get the end in the water near
the bottom of the hole under the liner. This can be hooked up to a pump, or
siphon, and drain the water from under the liner. If the edges of the liner
were higher than ground level, then adding water to the pond will put
pressure on the water under the pond and the water will be forced upward
along the edge and overflow.
--
RichToyBox

Old 03-09-2003, 03:22 AM
Bob in PA

Check this out: http://trains99.tripod.com/newpix2.html
Pictures near the bottom, and it says what we did to remedy it.

.net...

Old 12-09-2003, 09:14 PM
Susan H. Simko

Thenewguy wrote:
hey, i have a small, probably simple to answer problem. Its been raining
cats and dogs here and the liner of my pond seems to be floating up, should
i have add rocks to the bottom of my pond. i believe its all water coming in
from the ground underneath the liner...any ideas?

I had the same problem due to a leak from the waterfall. However, I
have to pump the water out as the pond basin is carved out of stone. To
do this, I stole the connection ends (short pieces of hose) that run
from my two hose reels to the water faucet. I then put an $8 drill
powered pump in between and used it to pull the water out from under the
liner. I bought the little electric drill powered pump (drill not
included) from Lowes. Definitely well worth the investment.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Old 17-09-2003, 02:33 AM
ponder

Just let it dry out it is just ground water collecting. You must have very
good clay under there
Now if you have allot of fish and they don't have room then put the fish in
a kiddies pool or tank to something and pump out the water from under. This
happens a lot in the spring when the thaws happen.