Old 04-09-2003, 02:02 AM
Ralph

Default Thermo-pond heater

Has any used the thermo-pond 100 watt heater? How does it work? I live near
Rochester, NY I believe it is in zone 6

Old 04-09-2003, 03:32 AM
Roger

I've used it in the past.
Worked very well, except it took in water.
Even though it sank it never took in enough to
cause short(s) or damage to fish. The reason
it was taking in water was the fine seal between
the two sections. This problem has since
been rectifide. I strongly recommend it.
Last year I layed out 2x4s across the pond, and
fastened plastic to them. Also kept one smaller pump
running all winter. No problems, no ice on surface
whatsoever, and no supercooling due to too strong
a pump. Didn't loose a single fish, our temperature
here in Ottawa,On.Canada averaged -40 it was
the coldest we've had in some time. Of course the
Heron which has since found my pond is trying his
hardest to reduce my stock.

Roger

Pictures of setup available upon request.

Old 04-09-2003, 09:22 AM
Ghislain

Used a waterbed heater

Old 04-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Jeff

I have also used the Thermo-Pond heater, and mine also
took on water last winter. I just received a replacement
from them (under warranty), so I hope the problem
is resolved this winter.

Other then the water leakage, it worked very well.
I am in suburban Chicago (zone 5), and my pond is about
2 feet deep. I had a layer of ice all winter, except
for the hole kept open by the Thermo-Pond. I did not
run any other heater or pump. Fish came out fine.

Previously, I used the other popular floating heater
(it's green, and uses about 1500 watts). I replaced it
for 2 reasons: too much energy usage, and I was worried
that the exposed heating element might damage the liner.
Again, when I used that heater, I got a layer of ice
most of the winter, except around the heater.
Fish came out fine.

Jeff

Old 06-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Ralph