Old 07-09-2003, 04:11 AM
sally

Default Wintering tropical lily

We're in zone 5, and we have a beautiful tropical lily that we'd like
to save. What is the best way to do it?
Old 09-09-2003, 01:18 AM
Gregory Young

I have wintered over an Antares with great success. Here's how:
1) pull pot out of water, and let it drain for couple of days.
2) cut off all above soil foliage
3) gently remove tuber from soil, rinse, then cut off all roots (impt. to
avoid rot!!)
4) pat bulb dry
5) dust bulb in favorite fungicide powder
6) put in re-sealable sandwich, etc bag filled with damp (not wet!) sand
7) put in cool, dark place (ie basement).
8) check once monthly for drying out/fungus
9) restart bulb in late winter (depends on your zone.. I'm in 5 and restart
mid March) in tank/bucket by Southern window
10) place outside once threat of frost is gone
My Antares has done better held over, than one I bought in the Spring, had
shipped in, and put outside in June when it arrived! Now, I winter it over
(sold the one I bought in the Spring.. didn't have room for both) every
year.
Wasn't warm enough to get good blooms this year, but there's always next!
Happy ponding,
Greg

--

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
On 6 Sep 2003 19:43:48 -0700,
(sally) wrote:

We're in zone 5, and we have a beautiful tropical lily that we'd like
to save. What is the best way to do it?

I don't know if it is the best way, but it works for me. I have a small
pond in my living room, a bucket would work too. The important thing is
keeping it warm and well lighted. ~ jan

I think there is a picture of LR on pages 1 & 4.
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 09-09-2003, 02:33 AM
Ted

Question: I am in Zone 9, the water temp goes slightly below 55 deg. Do I
need to do anything special with my Tropical Lilly?

Old 09-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Bern Muller

"Ted" wrote in message
Question: I am in Zone 9, the water temp goes slightly below 55 deg. Do

need to do anything special with my Tropical Lilly?

I don't know about outdoors, but indoors, tropicals don't like temperatures
below 75 degrees, and _really_ don't like it below 70 degrees. What happens
at these low temps is that the lilly slowly goes into hibernation, and then
fails to come out. So, here in Michigan, the pond temp is now below 70, but
the tropicals are still throwing up an occasional bloom. But they have
slowed way down. My night bloomer is taking 3 days to go through its usual
diurnal cycle. If I bring them in in early October, and warm them up to 75
degrees for the duration of the winter, they keep leaves and are raring to
go come spring and warm water.

So, I'd think some kind of indoors pool with warmer as has been described
here before. You could try it outside and see what happens, but I'd expect a
dead lilly come spring.