Old 12-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Jeff & Kathy Brown

Default Tropical Water Lily

Has anyone had success with bringing a tropical water lily inside and
keeping it in water for the winter? Thanks.
Kathy

Old 13-10-2003, 12:12 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 10:34:04 -0400, "Jeff & Kathy Brown"
wrote:

Has anyone had success with bringing a tropical water lily inside and
keeping it in water for the winter? Thanks.
Kathy

Yes, on my webpage you'll see my patio pond I have in my living room, it is
35 gallons and will hold 6 T.lilies in 8" diameter round containers. Some
years have been better than others, Last year I didn't add heat and lost 2
of the 6 I had in there. This year I'll put the aquarium heater back in and
see if that was the problem. It only cooled off to 65F, so I'm not totally
convinced it was the temp. ~ jan

click on *My Pond Photo's* go to pages 1 & 4
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 13-10-2003, 03:42 AM
bmuller

"Jeff & Kathy Brown" wrote in message
Has anyone had success with bringing a tropical water lily inside and
keeping it in water for the winter? Thanks.
Kathy

I did a bunch of experiments a number of years ago. When kept below 70
degrees I had many deaths. When kept between 70 and 75, all survived, but
did not thrive. At or above 75 growth occurred. But, due to low light
conditions, they still did not bloom. I have not done the grow-lite
experiments. I keep them in a "horse trough" that is 6 feet long, and use
500 watts worth of fish tank heaters to keep the temperture up. We live in
Michigan, by the way, and the tank is in a cool greenhouse.

Old 18-10-2003, 12:22 AM
*muffin*

I cannot figure out how you keep the tropicals inside. your setup doesn't
look very large.... afterall the plants spread over 10 feet outside in the
pond!

what am I missing???

I have my last tropical just yanked from the pond, sitting on the porch,, if
anyone has suggestions on how to save it for over the winter,,,,

: )

Old 18-10-2003, 02:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I remove all the pads & flowers except the new ones at the base. In the low
light conditions and cool water they don't produce many pads thru winter. I
also remove the oldest pads that do come up if they get too thick in there.
The pads that do come up are a lot smaller. Pots are placed right next to
each other, so it is a tight squeeze. ) ~ jan

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 18:55:10 -0400, "*muffin*" wrote:

I cannot figure out how you keep the tropicals inside. your setup doesn't
look very large.... afterall the plants spread over 10 feet outside in the
pond!

what am I missing???

I have my last tropical just yanked from the pond, sitting on the porch,, if
anyone has suggestions on how to save it for over the winter,,,,

: )

.. .

Old 18-10-2003, 06:12 AM
*muffin*

ok, so you think if I just stick the pot in a container of water it will be
ok? even if the water stays cool & not much light?

if I put a plant light on it,, wil I have probs with it wanting to spread
leaves? I'd love it if it kept flowering

just pop it back in pond when water gets warm?

(mmmm bathroom?? grandsons room when he visits?,,,)

Old 18-10-2003, 07:42 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 00:41:26 -0400, "*muffin*" wrote:

ok, so you think if I just stick the pot in a container of water it will be
ok? even if the water stays cool & not much light?

When I say "not much light" I'm comparing what I can produce inside to
summer sunshine. It will still need water in the 65-70F range with minimum
12 hrs of artificial light.

if I put a plant light on it,, wil I have probs with it wanting to spread
leaves? I'd love it if it kept flowering

Won't spread, won't flower, unless you get sunlight on it. My Evelyn Randig
did bloom before I put it out this summer. It was getting sunlight thru the
East window from sunrise till noon along with the artificial lighting that
included a double bulb aquarium hood at 6" from surface and a 300 watt
halogen 3' from surface. The aquarium lights were on from the time I got up
till I went to bed and the halogen was on from dusk to bedtime.

just pop it back in pond when water gets warm?

Yup.

Course there are no guarantees. ~ jan
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 22-10-2003, 06:12 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I brought the T.lilies inside Monday afternoon, the lilypond's coldest temp
was maybe 55 prior to. 3 of the 4 I brought in have buds on them and the
Evelyn Randig is opening today. ) So now I know that letting them go down
to 55F didn't slow them down much. I'm quite sure they wouldn't have been
happy at the temp too long though. ~ jan
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Madagascar Dwarf Water Lily = Dauben Tropical lily Roy Ponds 4 11-07-2005 12:49 AM
night blooming tropical water lily David Ponds 2 03-05-2004 05:07 AM
Dead lily? where to buy hardy water lily? aslng Ponds 9 18-03-2004 09:33 AM
Tropical Lily temp. Heather Ponds 2 12-07-2003 05:32 PM
King of Siam Tropical water lily - Where to buy? EJ Ponds 1 14-06-2003 08:20 AM