Old 07-09-2003, 05:32 PM
dkat

Default Cattails a no me

I spend yesterday pulling cattails out of my relatively small pond (~7X7').
I probably lost the best of my hardy water lilies in doing so and now things
look more than a bit bare (I threw water hyacinths from the upper pond into
the lower just so the fish have some shelter). While the cattails were
really pretty they were on the way to completely taking over the pond (I
really want a pond about the size of an acre on a 100 acre "lot").

I had decided to stick to the variegated sweet flag for the feel of grass
but it now doesn't seem to be exactly what I want. I would like something
that is in the water, is about 2-3' high, sways with the wind and can be
contained in a pot (cattails quite happily leap out of the pot and go to
their hearts content). Has anyone had any luck with miniature cattails?
How about cotton grass? The umbrella grass that I had in my pond died but
now I have it coming up everywhere else. It also does not have the quality
of "sway" that I'm looking for. What is rush like? Any ideas?

DK

Old 07-09-2003, 06:22 PM
K30a

dkat wrote Has anyone had any luck with miniature cattails?

The mini cattails in the frog bog have not marched across the bog like every
other plant. They've spread but slowly.
Mini horsetail rush has also stayed in place.
Everything else is out of control!!!

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 07-09-2003, 07:12 PM
Gale Pearce

I used to have "ditch variety" cattails in my pond - Every fall I cut them
down to 2 " stubs in the 5 gal squat pot and pulled that in the spring and
dumped all the root mass and only replanted ~ 2"-3" dia piece of root &
stem - it didn't jump the pot as it had lots of room to grow in the pot -
gave a nice effect of swaying stalks 2 - 3' high like you say you are after,
but after 7 yrs I decided it was time to change and took them out
Gale :~)

[...]

Odds-n-Ends - Cattails-Winter_7668.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 06-12-2009 11:46 AM
question about 'cattails' FireBrick[_2_] Lawns 2 04-10-2008 11:54 AM
Miniature Cattails dilema ~Roy~ Ponds 2 13-04-2005 05:36 PM
Minature cattails RED1102 Ponds 12 19-04-2004 03:03 PM
Controlling Cattails Tony Brennan Ponds 22 19-06-2003 10:20 PM