Old 13-04-2004, 12:32 AM
RED1102

Default Minature cattails

Does anyone know how deep you should put cattails in your pond? I use to keep
them on a milk crate about 12 in under the water, then last year I moved it to
the edge. Now the pot sits about 3/4 into the water. I would like to drpo it
all the
way to the bottom of the pond but not sure if it would survive. Any help
would be appreciated. I live in Northern NJ
Carole
Old 13-04-2004, 01:32 AM
Gale Pearce

Hi Carole - I used to have cattails in my pond (ditch variety) and put them
on the bottom (27" of water) - no problem
Gale :~)

Old 13-04-2004, 03:33 AM
~ Windsong ~

"RED1102" wrote in message
Does anyone know how deep you should put cattails in your pond? I use to

keep
them on a milk crate about 12 in under the water, then last year I moved

it to
the edge. Now the pot sits about 3/4 into the water. I would like to drpo

it
all the
way to the bottom of the pond but not sure if it would survive. Any help
would be appreciated. I live in Northern NJ
Carole

==========================
Why drop them to the bottom? That would probably drown and rot them
depending how deep your pond is. I have mine with about 1" of water over
the pot top and they're thriving.
--
Carol....
"When did my wild oats turn to prunes and All Bran?"

Old 13-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"RED1102" wrote in message
Does anyone know how deep you should put cattails in your pond? I use to

keep
them on a milk crate about 12 in under the water, then last year I moved

it to
the edge. Now the pot sits about 3/4 into the water. I would like to drpo

it
all the
way to the bottom of the pond but not sure if it would survive. Any help
would be appreciated. I live in Northern NJ

I have cattails, not sure if the are miniature or not. Last year they were
in 18 inches of water in my VF, and did OK. I recently repotted them, and
sank the pot in about 3 feet of water. I already have 3 new shoots breaking
the surface.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 14-04-2004, 12:05 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Someone with more info correct me if I'm wrong, but, ime, the standard
cattail gets about 6 ft. tall with a catkin of ~6", then there's a dwarf
that is 3 ft. tall and catkin 2-3" and miniatures are only 18" tall with a
catkin less than 1". ~ jan

I have cattails, not sure if the are miniature or not. Last year they were
in 18 inches of water in my VF, and did OK. I recently repotted them, and
sank the pot in about 3 feet of water. I already have 3 new shoots breaking
the surface. BV

~ jan (Do you know where your water quality is?)

Old 15-04-2004, 07:02 AM
Offbreed

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

Someone with more info correct me if I'm wrong, but, ime, the standard
cattail gets about 6 ft. tall with a catkin of ~6", then there's a dwarf
that is 3 ft. tall and catkin 2-3" and miniatures are only 18" tall with a
catkin less than 1". ~ jan

I can't find cattail on Google. Anyone have a URL?

Old 15-04-2004, 07:03 AM
Charles

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:40:00 -0700, Offbreed
wrote:

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

Someone with more info correct me if I'm wrong, but, ime, the standard
cattail gets about 6 ft. tall with a catkin of ~6", then there's a dwarf
that is 3 ft. tall and catkin 2-3" and miniatures are only 18" tall with a
catkin less than 1". ~ jan

I can't find cattail on Google. Anyone have a URL?

Try Typha minima

My book says it gets 12 to 18 inches high, should be in moist soil to
water 3 inches deep.

New book, "Encyclopedia of Water Garden Plants."

It's my current all time favorite water plant book.

--

- Charles
-
Old 15-04-2004, 08:03 PM
Offbreed

Charles wrote:

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:40:00 -0700, Offbreed

I can't find cattail on Google. Anyone have a URL?

Try Typha minima

Thanks.

Actually, I was looking for a source, but using the latin name brought
up several merchants, one looks excellent for my purposes at a very
good price.

Better to search this way than with common names, looks like. Fewer
incidental sites.

Old 17-04-2004, 03:51 PM
Moontanman

Try Typha minima

My book says it gets 12 to 18 inches high, should be in moist soil to
water 3 inches deep.

New book, "Encyclopedia of Water Garden Plants."

Well at least that explains why I can't get them to grow in 12" of water. Back
to the drawing board!

Moon
I breed dwarf crayfish for planted aquariums and grow trees in aquariums.
My groups

Old 18-04-2004, 12:03 PM
adavisus

There are quite varying sizes to different cattails, some can be 8',
some just 2' ....all of them prefer to be fully submerged with their
roots in water, just for proportions sake I'd say don't put them
deeper than half their usual growing height, or the roots and shoots
are likely to go all straggly in water too deep, with wind tossing
them about as they travel out of the pot.

About a quarter of their usual height to the top of their pot would be
a reasonable compromise, too deep and the lanky straying rhisomes will
soon be be wobbling at odd angles in any breeze

It is hard to drown cat tails

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html

Old 19-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Moontanman

About a quarter of their usual height to the top of their pot would be
a reasonable compromise, too deep and the lanky straying rhisomes will
soon be be wobbling at odd angles in any breeze

It is hard to drown cat tails

I am trying to grow cattails in an aquarium with a hood about 24" above the
water. I would like to havea small group eventaully (about 1.5 sq foot) at one
end of the aquarium or maybe across the back. But they mustn't grow much more
than 18" out of the water. The water will be a bout 12" deep. The aquarium has
soil under sand as a substrait so how do I get this to happen? I've grown lots
of cattails in open aquariums in my grenhouse but this is presenting a
challenge.

Moon
I breed dwarf crayfish for planted aquariums and grow trees in aquariums.
My groups

Odds-n-Ends - Cattails-Winter_7668.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 06-12-2009 11:46 AM
question about 'cattails' FireBrick[_2_] Lawns 2 04-10-2008 11:54 AM
Miniature Cattails dilema ~Roy~ Ponds 2 13-04-2005 05:36 PM
Cattails a no me dkat Ponds 2 07-09-2003 07:12 PM
Controlling Cattails Tony Brennan Ponds 22 19-06-2003 10:20 PM