Old 04-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Tony Brennan

Default Controlling Cattails

Grateful for any help on the problem of control cattails. I have a heap of
them round the edge of my pond (natural) but I'm worried about them taking
over. They seem to be spreading toward the middle.
Tony

Old 04-06-2003, 02:20 PM
James Williams

"Tony Brennan" wrote in message
Grateful for any help on the problem of control cattails.

Dynamite and gasoline?

---

Old 04-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Just Me \Koi\

They will take over, unless you declare war right now! Then you might stand
a chance!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 04-06-2003, 03:56 PM
K30a

It is a pond's natural role in the scheme of things to fill in.
Try cutting them below the waterline.
The following are great resources
for large, natural ponds.
Earth Pond Sourcebook
by Tim Matson
and the newsgroup
misc.rural
and the ask the Pond Boss forum
http://www.pondboss.com/cgibin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

good luck!
k30a
Old 04-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Sam Hopkins

The cattail has a rhizome that is filled with carbohydrates. This is why you
can wack the top off and it has the power to grow back because it has a lot
of stored energy. You can either flood the cattail (raise the water 2+ feet,
this effects it's ability to draw O2 to the roots) or continuously cut them
down so that there are no leaves from sunlight to recharge the rhizome.
After a while they will die because they will run out of juice. Cattails
need full sun to grow. If it's possible plant a willow above them.

If you want to see something amazing go and purchase a 10 gallon aquarium
from the pet store. Dump in 2 inches of dirt and plant a small cattail. You
will be amazed how much of a huge root mass these things get and how many
pop up.

Old 04-06-2003, 09:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Sounds like cattails are perfect for my VF.

BV.

Old 05-06-2003, 09:44 AM
adavisus

Native cat tails such as typha latifolia are a common sight on many
ponds quite simply because someone was silly enough to chuck a few
'free plants' in and later discovered it was a big mistake. The only
reason you see them on so many ponds is because they are so difficult
to get rid off... they will fill any pond in, eventually, that's all
they do.
You could try dredging them with an excavator, however there will
still be some roots left that will sneak back in the future.
You could try hand weeding them one by one dragging each rhisome out,
you could try a herbicide and kill the whole pond, or try stroking
'round up' on each stem
There's only one efficient solution for cat tails on a pond, never let
them start on a pond in the first place, unless its a carefully chosen
small variety like graceful cat tail, typha laxmanii

http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html
(andys aquatic plant list for interesting swaps

Old 10-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Tony Brennan

Thanks for all your help on this one ... I'm not sure what I am going to do
but they have to go! I guess I'll get something sorted soon enough. With
the suggestions I have received I should be able to come up with some way of
getting rid of them.

Old 10-06-2003, 04:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"Tony Brennan" wrote in message
Thanks for all your help on this one ... I'm not sure what I am going to

do
but they have to go! I guess I'll get something sorted soon enough. With
the suggestions I have received I should be able to come up with some way

of
getting rid of them.
"Tony Brennan" wrote in message
Grateful for any help on the problem of control cattails. I have a heap

of
them round the edge of my pond (natural) but I'm worried about them

taking
over. They seem to be spreading toward the middle.
Tony

This may sound like humor, but I am serious. Two words...Weed Whacker.

BV.

Old 10-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Tony Brennan

Thanks for that ... excuse my English ignorance ... but what is a weed
whacker? :-)
"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 10-06-2003, 07:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"Tony Brennan" wrote in message
Thanks for that ... excuse my English ignorance ... but what is a weed
whacker? :-)

snip

Ack...How can I describe it...uh...here...

http://tinyurl.com/dypm

BV.

Old 11-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Tony Brennan

Thanks for the tip - went to the website but couldn't log in ... they need a
ZIP code from me so they can "direct me to my nearest store" ... don't have
a ZIP code I'm afraid. Guess I'll try to contact my local Canadian Tire or
Home Hardware sounds like something they would have. :~)
Thanks
"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 11-06-2003, 02:08 AM
John Rutz

Tony Brennan wrote:
Thanks for the tip - went to the website but couldn't log in ... they need a
ZIP code from me so they can "direct me to my nearest store" ... don't have
a ZIP code I'm afraid. Guess I'll try to contact my local Canadian Tire or
Home Hardware sounds like something they would have. :~)
Thanks
"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

"Tony Brennan" wrote in message

Thanks for that ... excuse my English ignorance ... but what is a weed
whacker? :-)

snip

Ack...How can I describe it...uh...here...

http://tinyurl.com/dypm

BV.

try weed eater I think thats the same in canadian english ;-)

--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 11-06-2003, 02:56 AM
RichToyBox

A few years ago the horticulturist from the National Aquatic Gardens in DC
said that Roundup could be used to control lotus in a mud bottom pond. I
was always leery of this around ponds for fear of what it might do to the
fish. The link to the MSDS shows that it is nearly non-toxic, and the
overspray from the spraying would be diluted quickly.
http://www.mindfully.org/Pesticide/M...SDS25jan01.htm
An article about Ireland's control of reeds along canals and waterways, link
below, states that Roundup is one of only two herbicides used.
http://www.cfb.ie/research/aquatic_p...al_control.htm
It would appear that Roundup would be one method of taking care of your
cattail problem.
--
RichToyBox

Old 11-06-2003, 07:56 AM
zookeeper

RichToyBox wrote:
A few years ago the horticulturist from the National Aquatic Gardens in DC
said that Roundup could be used to control lotus in a mud bottom pond. I
was always leery of this around ponds for fear of what it might do to the
fish. The link to the MSDS shows that it is nearly non-toxic, and the
overspray from the spraying would be diluted quickly.
http://www.mindfully.org/Pesticide/M...SDS25jan01.htm
An article about Ireland's control of reeds along canals and waterways, link
below, states that Roundup is one of only two herbicides used.
http://www.cfb.ie/research/aquatic_p...al_control.htm
It would appear that Roundup would be one method of taking care of your
cattail problem.

Only if you have no children, don't expect children to be in or near the
pond, or don't plan to have children in the next ten years. A recent
study linking pesticides and herbicides (including Roundup), links
exposure to a myriad of disorders including autism, attention deficit
disorders, birth defects, etc. (released by "Garry, VF, Harkins ME,
Erickson LL., Long-Simpson LK., Holland SE and BL Burroughs. Birth
Defects, Season of Conception, and Sex of Children Born to Pesticide
Applicators Living in the Red River Valley of Minnesota, USA. Env Health
Perspect Supplement Vol. 110(3) 441-449 June 2002")
See:
http://ehpnet1.niehs.nih.gov/docs/20.../abstract.html

--
zookeeper

Odds-n-Ends - Cattails-Winter_7668.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 06-12-2009 11:46 AM
question about 'cattails' FireBrick[_2_] Lawns 2 04-10-2008 11:54 AM
Miniature Cattails dilema ~Roy~ Ponds 2 13-04-2005 05:36 PM
Minature cattails RED1102 Ponds 12 19-04-2004 03:03 PM
Cattails a no me dkat Ponds 2 07-09-2003 07:12 PM