Old 09-09-2003, 12:09 AM
Curious

Default Caring for clams found in the Columbia river(Portland, Or)

Hello World,
I recently went to a beach on the Columbia river with my 7 year old
son. We were trying to make a sand castle when he came across several
small clams. He proclaimed himself the luckiest boy on the planet and
immediately asked if he could keep them. I, of course, answered yes. I
do not know how to care for these creatures. I've placed them in a
bowl of water and sand that I brought back with us from the Columbia
river. Is there any other things that I should consider. Thanks for
any advice.

-Dee
Old 09-09-2003, 01:17 AM
K30a

Hi Dee,

They need cool moving water.
You can put them in a container of sand
at the bottom of your pond. You might
be lucky and find baby clams next summer!

Check the container once in a while in case they
don't make it, then you can remove them before
they decay.

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html

Old 09-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Sam Hopkins

These mussels are filter feeders so they need algae in the water. They dont
do well in warm water (ie 75 degrees or more). If you have crystal clear
pond water they aren't gonna make it because there wont be any food for
them. They reproduce by shooting their "stuff" into the water. The "stuff"
attaches to the gills of fish. The fish swim around and eventually the
babies fall off of the fish and land in a new place.

om...

Old 13-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Moontanman

clams from your area are unlikely to survive room temperature on the good side
clams often take months or even years to die. but the warm water might do them
in more quckly. Clams need we areated water and detritus to eat (detritus is
the fine organic mud found in rivers and ponds. they also eat green water type
algae but not as much as people think. there are warm water tropical clams,
even small ones that will do well in an unfiltered aquarium with fish (fish
supply the detritus) I have small thumb sized clams ( a small species not
native to north America but brought over by ballast water in ships) they even
reproduce in my aquariums but they need a lot of detritus so the aquarium is
easily muddied by fish movements.

Moon
remove nospam from e-mail to send to me, I grow trees in aquariums like bonsai.
I breed dwarf crayfish, great for planted community tanks. If you can get me a
shovelnose sturgeon fingerling (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus) no wild caught
please, contact me

Pictures of Wild Muscadine Grapes near Congaree River in Columbia, SC Zarlot531 Edible Gardening 0 03-08-2008 03:59 AM
FOUND Dracaena marginata plant in Garage, need advise on caring Roger L Gardening 0 29-05-2004 09:02 PM
Columbia Don Staples alt.forestry 2 19-02-2003 06:01 PM
The Shuttle Columbia Nedra Ponds 3 02-02-2003 04:38 AM
trees photos from British Columbia, Canada Forestry Workers Employment Center alt.forestry 0 16-10-2002 03:56 PM