Old 10-09-2003, 02:22 PM
pixi

Default More Pond Questions

I feel like a sub-moron in this pond building business. I cannot find
anything as to precisely how to connect the pump to the piping or hose.

One end screws into the pump and has an adapter which turns into about of 2"
inch flexible (?) pipe about a foot long. Believe this is called the pump
discharge. I know I will need to attach a 90 degree elbow to the pump
discharge too get the water out of the side of the skimmer.but how so that
it can be easily detached.

But then something is said about a check valve. And also removing the pump
in winter. So how can I attach the hose/pipe to the pump or pump discharge
so that it is easily detachable.

I had no trouble at all building my first pond but I didn't have all these
gadgets like filters and skimmers. The filter was a little external thing,
had never heard of a skimmer, and the pump simply sat on the bottom of the
pond with clear hose attached that connected pump to filter. Piece of cake.

Old 10-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Nedra

Hi Pixi,

If you are trying to work without seeing pictures then
as far as I'm concerned you are working blind. Strongly
suggest you go to the library or a book store and check out a good pond
book... like "The Complete Pond Builder" by
Helen Nash. She has about a dozen on ponds ... any of
them are good. Also James Allison's "Water In The Garden" is an excellent
book. Read and Research -
they are key to understanding.

Good Luck!

Nedra

Old 10-09-2003, 02:42 PM
pixi

Oops, I hadn't quite finished. Didn't say "pretty please" "thank you or
anything.

Sure hope you will help.

Pixi

Old 10-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Sam Hopkins

Pixi, go to the plumbing section of home depot. It'll open your eyes to the
possibilities of how you can hook up plumbing.

Old 10-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Bonnie

pixi wrote:
I feel like a sub-moron in this pond building business. I cannot find
anything as to precisely how to connect the pump to the piping or hose.

Take your pump to Home Depot or Lowe's. It will make
finding the fittings much easier. When you enter the
store make sure to go to the service desk to get a
sticker for your pump. That way they won't try to
charge you for it when you leave.
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 11-09-2003, 12:43 AM
RichToyBox

pixi,

There is a connection called a union. It has a threaded collar that allows
the two sections to be separated. Put it in anywhere close to the pump. I
have mine inside the skimmer box, that way if I don't get it thoroughly
tight the leak is back into the skimmer instead of out in the yard. The
backflow preventer is a little flapper valve inside a section of pipe that
is larger than the rest of the pipe. Most of the ones I have seen for ponds
have to be bought at a good pond store or online. Check page 421 of Aquatic
Eco, or go online to http://www.aquaticeco.com/aquatic1v1/search2.asp and
search on check valves. My BIL used a sewage backflow preventer from the
hardware store.
--
RichToyBox

Old 14-09-2003, 01:12 PM
pixi

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I am making progress. Although I
have a bit of advice. DO NOT start making a pond by yourself when you are
crowding 80 years old. It aint smart!!

Started out to Harrisonburg to go to Home Depot yesterday. Harrisonburg is
about 80 miles from here but it's the closest Home Depot. We got 12 miles
when my husband started feeling ill so we had to turn back.

Hope we can go tomorrow and I will get the rest of the parts I need.

I have two elbows one at the filter, the other for the top of the pump
discharge.) and 25' of flexiblel PVC. Think I may need a check valve, a
union to disconnect the pump as Rich suggested, Another 10 feet of flexible
hose and something to join the two hose lengths. Will also need some ring
clamps or whatever they are called.

Mentions a 4" channel wrench (whatever that is) to attach the bulkhead to
the filter. Speaking of bulk heads, do I need one to attach to the wall of
the skimmer where the pipe goes through?

At this point, if I could find someone in my area to do it, I would hire the
rest of it done. Expense be darned. But I don't think there is a soul
within 80 miles to do that kind of work.

Thanks again.

Pixi

Old 14-09-2003, 10:42 PM
Anne Lurie

Pixi,

I missed the early part of this thread because I was away, but if you're in
Harrisonburg, VA, you might try contacting James Madison University
http://www.jmu.edu/jmuweb/ Who knows what resources might be available for
you there?

BTW, as for starting a pond by yourself when you're "crowding 80 years
ld" -- I'm not sure whether it's smart or not, but I think it's plucky as
all get out!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 14-09-2003, 11:04 PM
pixi

Call me a quitter if you like but I called someone today to have the job
finished by a landscaper.

I aint got no git up and git no more.

Pixi

Old 20-09-2003, 01:39 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Call me a quitter if you like but I called someone today to have the job
finished by a landscaper.

I aint got no git up and git no more.

Pixi

Hey 80 yo Pixi, I'm impressed that not only are you doing a pond (with or
without help) you got on a computer to a newsgroups and asked for help! )
~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 23-09-2003, 03:02 PM
johnrutz

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
Call me a quitter if you like but I called someone today to have the job
finished by a landscaper.

I aint got no git up and git no more.

Pixi

Hey 80 yo Pixi, I'm impressed that not only are you doing a pond (with or
without help) you got on a computer to a newsgroups and asked for help! )
~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

--

yes we *are* proud of you you are an inspiration to us all

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

i dont get older i get odder
(note if you email me you will be asked to confirm email
see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com