Old 13-09-2003, 02:32 AM
Critical Popperian

Default 1 U.V. or 2?

I have a 12,000G pond with two pumps going around 2500 GPH each in 2"
pipe into a large filter.

I installed 1 U.V. (36 Watt Tetra-UV3) about 5 days ago The U.V. is
rated to 4000 Flow and 8000 gallons.

I haven't noticed any significant difference in green water. I have
verified that it is working and seems to be an impressive unit.

Should I add another U.V. to the other pump as well?

How long does it take for algae to replicate? Is it possible the
algae is replicating faster than it can be zapped?

Or should I wait for two weeks to see how well it does?

Does the U.V. green water change happen "overnight" or will you see
little changes over time?

(Sorry for so many questions).

- Frustrated in U.V. land.
Old 13-09-2003, 04:02 AM
Carola or Les Simmons

"Critical Popperian" wrote in message
om...
I have a 12,000G pond with two pumps going around 2500 GPH each in 2"
pipe into a large filter.

I installed 1 U.V. (36 Watt Tetra-UV3) about 5 days ago The U.V. is
rated to 4000 Flow and 8000 gallons.

I haven't noticed any significant difference in green water. I have
verified that it is working and seems to be an impressive unit.

Should I add another U.V. to the other pump as well?

How long does it take for algae to replicate? Is it possible the
algae is replicating faster than it can be zapped?

Or should I wait for two weeks to see how well it does?

Does the U.V. green water change happen "overnight" or will you see
little changes over time?

(Sorry for so many questions).

- Frustrated in U.V. land.

Depending on the density of the algae, it could take several weeks before
you see any significant difference.
If you don't want to wait that long, then by all means add another U.V. to
the other pump.
You can always turn one off (or both) when the water clears.
It is a good idea to have the U.V. before the filter so that the dead algae
is taken out before entering the pond.
Les

Old 13-09-2003, 04:12 AM
Critical Popperian

Depending on the density of the algae, it could take several weeks before
you see any significant difference.
If you don't want to wait that long, then by all means add another U.V. to
the other pump.
You can always turn one off (or both) when the water clears.
It is a good idea to have the U.V. before the filter so that the dead algae
is taken out before entering the pond.

I can be patient, but do you think this is enough U.V. to control
blooms once it is gone?

Old 13-09-2003, 05:22 AM
claude rogers

"Critical Popperian" wrote in message
news
Depending on the density of the algae, it could take several weeks

before
you see any significant difference.
If you don't want to wait that long, then by all means add another U.V.

the other pump.
You can always turn one off (or both) when the water clears.
It is a good idea to have the U.V. before the filter so that the dead

algae
is taken out before entering the pond.

I can be patient, but do you think this is enough U.V. to control
blooms once it is gone?

I had a 9 watt on a 1000 gallon pond and it took about three days,
not for sure this formula is correct and it probably isn't but here's a
guess,
12 times as much water / 4 times as much uv, just guessing here mind ya
12 times 3 days is 36 days, divided by 4 times the uv would be
around 9 days to clear the pond. Variances could be water flow
through the filter and who knows what else.
I would say it would be much harder to remove the algae than to
maintain control of it, especially with a good supply of plants in the
pond.

Old 16-09-2003, 02:05 AM
Critical Popperian

yes. you got enough. give it time. once it is cleared it takes less to keep it
clean. Ingrid

Just thought I'd mention that our water is significantly more clear
today.

Still not to the point I'm hoping it'll get, but much clearer so you
look to be right!
Old 17-09-2003, 02:24 AM
Critical Popperian

yes. you got enough. give it time. once it is cleared it takes less to keep it
clean. Ingrid

Even more clear today! I can see the bottom at 4.5 feet (if not
crystal clear yet, still some more green though) and we fed all our
fishes who frollicked around very happily!

I am about to get giddy if the water keeps clearing up...

Old 17-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Chad

It's really nice to have a clear pond. I have about 1350 gallons and
I first put a 15w Aqua UV on my pond. I had pea soup when I put it on
at around 5pm, when I came out the next day I could see the bottom at
3ft. My pond is full sun so each day I would get a green tint to the
water, but by sunset the uv would make it clear again. I did purchase
a second 15w and I have clear water all day. If I fill an 1 gallon
bucket of water from my pond you would have a hard time telling it
apart from tap water. I must say that I do love my UV.
Old 17-09-2003, 04:05 PM
Critical Popperian

How long has it been now......?......Claude

9 days today and the water is even more clear than yesterday. We can
now identify individual fish at 4.5 feet. There is still a lot of
green in the water however and I'm hoping it'll keep getting more
clear.

The specs for the device say a max of two weeks (and it's rated at
8000 gallons) so with 12,000 gallons I'm thinking it may take 3 weeks
for max clarity, and if that's the case... that's awesome because if
it keeps getting clearer like it is now... holy cow!

Old 17-09-2003, 11:43 PM
claude rogers

At this point, as they say patience is a virtue, bigger would definitely be
faster, but once it clears you should be Ok. but unfortunately there are no
gaurantees with a pond, there a lot like people, all individuals, but that's
what makes them special....lots a luck....Claude

Old 18-09-2003, 06:03 AM
Critical Popperian

At this point, as they say patience is a virtue, bigger would definitely be
faster, but once it clears you should be Ok. but unfortunately there are no
gaurantees with a pond, there a lot like people, all individuals, but that's
what makes them special....lots a luck....Claude

It's doing fantastic if you ask me.

The water is 50% clearer every day. We can see really well now. I am
so glad I installed that thingy!!! It definitely is dumping a ton of
crap in the filter. I've been cleaning it daily now.

I calculated that a given water particle goes through the U.V. maybe
every 4-6 hours so it all makes sense actually. The actual water for
the entire system recirculates every 2-3 hours (two redundant pump
systems).

I think the U.V. was just slow starting out because the water was so
green, only had maybe 6-inches of visibility. But every morning it
gets clearer clearer clearer and it's even more clear by the evening.
Our submersible lights actually penetrated the whole pond and hit all
four sidewalls tonite and we could see all of the fish!
Old 22-09-2003, 03:55 AM
Critical Popperian

14 days later and I could see absolutely everything in the pond (we
have underwater lighting), could see every minnow and could even see a
grain of sand at 4.5 feet deep.

..... at night.

Simply stunning, anyone waffling on putting a U.V. in... you won't
believe the difference.
Old 22-09-2003, 05:02 PM
MattR

For all of you that had pea soup, bought a uv, and now wonder why it
took you so long, what kind of filter do you have? What's the media? how
big is the filter?

Matt

Old 23-09-2003, 12:00 AM
Critical Popperian

For all of you that had pea soup, bought a uv, and now wonder why it
took you so long, what kind of filter do you have? What's the media? how
big is the filter?

I have a big Oase BioTec 30 rated up to 30,000 gallons (10k with
fish).

Great filter for ~1200 by the way. Does an immaculate job filtering
the water, even filters clay and will clean my fully muddy/murky
12,000G pond out in 24 hours and crystal clean within 72.

I like it most because it's the easiest to clean filter I have. I
didn't want bead because I've heard they won't filter everything as
good.

To clean the Biotec 30 you just open the drain to drain it a bit so no
more water is flowing out of the filter, but a bunch of water is still
in it. Pull the japanese wire mats out, rinse the bio-pads under the
incoming pond water, reinstall them, shake the wire mats inside the
filter in the open space / dirty water up and down, drain the entire
filter with the bottom drain and re-install.

Takes about 10 mins, maybe less. It's easier to clean then my
aquarium filter.

I don't know exactly how much I need to clean it yet. Once a week
(unless there is a reason) seems to be too much and 90 days too long,
I'm thinking probably once a month to clean it unless it's got a lot
of stuff to filter.