Old 17-09-2003, 02:44 AM
GoldLexus2000

Default Pond/Waterfall Questions

We moved into our home this past May. We bought the house
from my bestfriend. With the house we inherited a Waterfall and
Pond. We LOVE IT!! We have never spent so much time in a
backyard before now.
Anyway, now that winter is coming we will need to shut down
the watefall. We can't afford to run it and the furnace. It has
a very large pump to pump the water up 14ft to the top. So
as you can imagine it is a little spendy to run but well worth it.
My question is should we drain the pond? Or leave the water in?
If we don't drain it how do we keep the water from stagnating?
We don't have any fish in it right now.
Also when is the best time to put plants in the pond? Here is
a link to the waterfall
http://www.integrity.com/homes/Nikki...r_new_home.htm
as you can see the pond could use some kind of plants in it.
Does anyone have any good websites on pond care?
Thanks!!

---

Old 17-09-2003, 03:03 AM
jammer

Terrific water fall !

Old 17-09-2003, 03:03 AM
ponder

If you have no fish you don't need to do anything to it, when it gets cold
enough that you have frozen water , shut off the pump. leave the plants
alone, just clean off the dead stuff and put lilies on the bottom of the
pond.

Old 17-09-2003, 03:03 AM
ponder

great yard , also forgot don't leave the pump out of water but don;t let it
freeze. Put it in a bucket of water in the garage, you need to keep the
rubber seals wet.

Old 17-09-2003, 03:03 AM
K30a

You don't have to worry about cold
water going all yukky on you.

With fish most of us turn off pumps,
waterfalls and fountains for the winter.

Try these websites for pond information
http://www.pondrushes.net/
and
http://www.geocities.com/bickal2000/pond.htm
and
http://www.fishpondinfo.com

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html

Old 17-09-2003, 05:34 AM
GoldLexus2000

The pump is a submiserable one. It sits in the bottom of the pond. If
we don't drain the pond wouldn't the pump be fine in the water. I live
in Clackamas OR (outside of Portland) we do get some freezing but not
for extended amounts of time.

Old 17-09-2003, 01:42 PM
John Burton

"Turn off pumps, waterfalls and fountains for the winter"??

As a new guy I'm confused here, since I thought we kept the waterfalls going
to provide oxygen for fishies in the winter.

If I *should* be turning off the waterfall, when does "winter" arrive? When
the water crosses the 55 degree line???

Newguy lookin' for help...

Thanks!

--==jb==--

--
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

john burton
Bach 50B3
Bass Trombone, Charleston NeoPhonic Orchestra
South Charleston, West Virginia

Old 17-09-2003, 07:32 PM
D Kat

If it doesn't freeze, you don't really have to turn off the waterfall... I'm
surprised it is that much money to run... If you have a liner, you want to
keep water in your pond... In fact I think even concrete pools keep water in
them.

Old 17-09-2003, 09:24 PM
GoldLexus2000

It costs about $30-40 per month to run. It is a large pump.
The pump has to pump the water 14 feet uphill.
We are on a budget and need that $30-40 to go towards
heating the house. I know, I know it is a toss up. Be warm
for the winter or look at the waterfall. The family voted
on heating the house. Oh well....

Old 20-09-2003, 11:42 PM
ponder

Ok, so how cold does it get ? Here It will freeze 1 foot deep, yes I am in
Canada but not that far across the border.
Waterfalls will freeze and it looks great with the water running over some
ice, but it will back flow the water and empty the pond. You also don't want
to run the waterfalls because your fish need a constant temp were they are
in the bottom and the running of the falls can constantly keep the temp
changing with the movement. mixing colder water into were they are used to
the temp they are at.

Old 02-10-2003, 01:04 AM
RichToyBox

The temperature that makes the most sense to me is 39 degrees, since water
is densest at 39 degrees and any water movement when the temperature is
below 39 would tend to mix the warmer water at the bottom with the colder
water at the top chilling the fish to below 39. The fish move to the bottom
to take advantage of the soil heat coming through the liner warming the
bottom layer of water. Cold water holds much more oxygen than warm water
and the fish use much less oxygen when cold and dormant than when warm and
swimming around.
--
RichToyBox