Old 19-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Josh

Default First time ponder, any thoughts for this design?

Bob,

I have read alot about different filters, and as far as I can tell UV
defeats the point of a bio filter by killing the basteria which are
essential to the bio filter - what is your postition on that?

I am in the same thought process for my pump, and thought just that -
if it is to small I can run a second line up there and just have it
push out water, something tiny could do at that point, run a small pvc
beside the falls and albow it behind a rock to spurt out at the second
falls or something. Yes I had already bought the pump, I got it used
for $50 -- like I have heard so many times to build as big as I can
my original plan was going to give me something about 6x11 so I
started looking for a liner - when my 19x20 came along i decided to
cut it to 15x20 and leave me 4x20 for my falls

"Bob H" wrote in message ...
Looks like a valid plan, I would echo what others have said, I am concerned
your pump *might* bit a bit small for your waterway, it also sounds like you
have bought the pump....actually this may be a good way to go, use the pump
you have, see what it looks like, if it is not enough flow, buy another,
bypass the filter with it so it just pumps into the head of the waterfall,
put it on a timer so it runs when you are there to see it and shuts off when
your not, you save power & the other pump is still providing
filtration/aeration. strongly consider a u.v. light in addition to the
filter, algae (green water) can be a problem. The other thing I would
suggest is to run plenty of GFCI power as near to where your pump is going
to be as allowed by code (get permits!) cause I have already used up 3 of
your available plugs with my suggestions :-). Since $$$$ is an issue you
may be able to do these things in phases, power, u.v & 2nd pump if needed.
Good luck

Old 20-09-2003, 06:32 AM
dkat

Question - how are you going to childproof the pond? DKat
"Josh" wrote in message
om...
Is that a patio down at the bottom of the yard?
If it is..... make the stream longer or start it further 'forward' so

the pond
is next to the sitting area - you'll have a lot of enjoyment of the pond

if you can sit next to it and watch the fish and critters.

It is a patio, and I was going to, but I wanted to keep a large
portion of the backyard for the baby to play in - plus my wife isn't
so sure she wants a pond, so she "informed" me it could go over there.
My thought is that since this one isn't really intended to be a koi
pond (hence the shallower depth) I can use it for the falls and plants
and such. My goal is to then dig a deeper one next to it for koi (in
the future) and link the two via underground PVC.

You've got a lot of greenery in your yard so plan, when you build, for

an easy
way to net the pond in the fall. You might sink some pvc in the ground

to set
poles in to attach your netting to.

You are referring to putting a net over the pond during the fall, not
just a net to skim out the leaves -- I have never seen that (granted
I'm new). I dont get many leaves that land where the pond is, which
is why I chose that side of the yard, the vast majority of them are
blown into the front yard by the prevaling breeze.

Old 21-09-2003, 04:32 AM
Bob H

I don't actually have a U.V. yet, I hope to get one next spring, the info.
that I have received makes them priceless for fighting algae....the U.V.
question has some info in it as well, you might want to look at it if you
haven't already.

om...

Old 22-09-2003, 04:49 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 19 Sep 2003 08:13:36 -0700, (Josh) wrote:

My goal is to then dig a deeper one next to it for koi (in
the future) and link the two via underground PVC.

Do plan for this by putting it in place now, using the Bickal pipe boot and
just plug it till you need it. Used algae covered liner is very difficult
to work with. Bickal Pipe Boot and many other fine DYI ideas:
http://www.geocities.com/bickal2000/pond.htm

I dont get many leaves that land where the pond is, which
is why I chose that side of the yard, the vast majority of them are
blown into the front yard by the prevaling breeze.

Without a pond, yup, with a pond, every leaf in your yard and the
neighbors' from 3 blocks around will be in your pond. Ponds have a magnetic
pull that can attract and out compete 50 mph winds when it comes to debris
and leaves. So netting in the fall is very wise. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a