Old 19-09-2003, 08:48 PM
LeeAnne

Default OT changing settings (was more viruses)

Haven't had the problem, probably due to the simple fact of my forging my
email address on all newsgroup postings.

I use Outlook Express, and if anybody is interested this is how to change
your email reply address:
In your mail window go to
Tools: Accounts: then click on 'news' tab
Fill in the boxes w/something that is NOT your email addy.

Some people put a fake one under "email address" and the real one under the
"reply to" address. The theory is that the email address harvesting bots
only harvest the "email address" and not the "reply to" address -- I have no
idea if this is accurate.

Every NG I post on has threads about this virus thing and people being
bombarded -- I haven't gotten one of these particular virus emails and I'm
sure that's due to my email addy being completely useless.

Some people also just simply put their email addy in a signature like:
suchandsuch (at) somewhere (dot) com - again, in theory the bots don't
recognize that. But you have to remove it in that tools option or your
screwed :-)

LeeAnne

"KenCo" wrote in message

anyone else getting emailed (bogus) updates from Microsoft?
dont even think about using them, there all viruses.

Microsoft never email updates....

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced

Old 24-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Susan H. Simko

LeeAnne wrote:

Haven't had the problem, probably due to the simple fact of my forging my
email address on all newsgroup postings.

Or not being in the email address book of anyone who has been infected.

SpamBots are the reason for munging email addresses on posts sent to
newsgroups. The SpamBots harvest email addresses for spam lists which
are then sold to spammers.

The worms and viruses are spread via Outlook (usually) address books.
If you are in the address book of someone who is infected, most likely
you will get a copy of the virus or worm. If you're really lucky, you
may also get some hate mail when the virus or worm on the infected
person's computer decides to choose your email address out of the
address book to spoof the from: address on the virus copies it's mailing
out.

In other words, munging your email address on newsgroups will not
prevent you from getting copies of a virus or worm that is spread via
the worm or virus hijacking an address book.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

No more viruses pixi Ponds 25 28-09-2003 05:09 AM
OT more viruses KenCo Ponds 42 23-09-2003 03:02 PM
Fried Norton's AntiVirus - any good ideas? ( OT more viruses) Nedra Ponds 11 22-09-2003 12:55 AM
Green 'n Gro Drop Spreader Settings Joseph Rampolla Lawns 2 07-05-2003 09:32 PM
Dailly pH Swings and CO2 Controller Settings Chuck Gadd Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:08 AM