Old 23-09-2003, 12:35 PM
pixi

Default No more viruses

I am certainly in favor of more stringent laws. There must be something out
there in the U.S. to slow the hackers, etc. down.

A month or so ago a hacker was trying to get into my computer for reasons
unknown to me. I reported him (Or her) to Norton who wrote back and said
they could do nothing because it was coming from Asia.

So our laws would not affect those from other countries.

Old 23-09-2003, 02:22 PM
pixi

Another thing. I often get "updates" from Windows via the internet. Why
can't they semd the anti virus patches in the same way. Or have they?

Or are they really updates from Windows? although I had a problem with my
Autorun and was on the phone with Dell for well over an hour. (Their
nickle, not mine.) And they assured me that I absolutely did not have a
virus.

Old 23-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Steve Yeung

DELETE THE EMAIL !!! Microsoft do not send updates through email. Some one
is sending you a virus disguised as Microsoft updates.

Old 23-09-2003, 05:02 PM
KenCo

pixi wrote:

Another thing. I often get "updates" from Windows via the internet. Why
can't they semd the anti virus patches in the same way. Or have they?

Or are they really updates from Windows? although I had a problem with my
Autorun and was on the phone with Dell for well over an hour. (Their
nickle, not mine.) And they assured me that I absolutely did not have a
virus.

M$ never mails updates and your supposed to use
"windows update" and thats a joke if you order
a "service pack" CD like I do and it wants to
install everything again

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced
Old 23-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Rich Conley

Please, use the terms correctly. I hate seeing the term hacker being thrown
around with negative connotations.

The term hacker simply means anyone who alters something to make it do something
other than it was designed for. So when you use a trash barrel for a
filter..your a hacker.

The proper term for a malicious hacker is a cracker....

sorry, I consider myself a hacker (computer and otherwise)...
So, I hate seeing people and the media putting negative connotations on the
word.

Rich

Old 23-09-2003, 09:22 PM
_Lil_Lamb

Actually... from what I have read, the origin of the word "hacker" was actually a
compliment implying someone was a skilled programmer.

Quoted from
http://www.diamond-back.com/icqhazards.html (a good site to glean tips on 'Net security,
and safe computing-deals mainly with ICQ, but most can be applied to email, etc.)

"Originally, "hacking" was the ability to write complex computer code without the aid of
look-up charts or prior diagramming. In other words, a hacker could just sit down at a
computer terminal and start "hacking out" code. These hackers were highly skilled
programmers who could write machine language ops the way most people could write a letter
in English. Before the media misused the word to imply some evil person who breaks into
computers, it was considered a compliment to be called a hacker."

The media has given a bad spin to the word, and it is more commonly used to refer to
someone who "hacks" (uses knowledge of programming, and/or computers) into other peoples
computers. "Cracking" is more commonly used to refer to illicitly gaining access to
someone's account or computer by "cracking" a password, or it is also used to refer to
gaining illegitimate use of a software program by "cracking" the installer to appear that
the program has been legitimately paid for and registered. Software that has been
"cracked" is often referred to as "warez".

Unfortunately, there are a lot less people who know the origin of the word "hacker", than
those who know what they *think* it stands for, and thus it retains a tarnished meaning...

Dee
--
Drop "BYE" to email me.

.. .

Old 24-09-2003, 02:56 AM
pixi

These are not e-mails. They appear from time as a message saying that they
are Windows updates. And this has been going on for a couple of years. As
far as I know, these are legitimate and I apparently do not have a virus.

If so, both Norton and McAfee failed to detect them, as did one on the
Internet which I think was called Trend.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

Old 24-09-2003, 03:20 AM
pixi

Ads allegedly from Microsoft are always popping up when I am on line. Just
deleted one. Surely these are not loaded with viruses.

Old 24-09-2003, 08:03 AM
Gene

I agree with you. I hate when they dont use the terms correctly.
When I tell people that I was hacking around with my computer they think
I'm breaking into somebody's computer and that is when I have to correct
them. It drives me nuts when I have to keep correcting people.

Old 24-09-2003, 09:22 AM
John Maddock

"pixi" writes:
Ads allegedly from Microsoft are always popping up when I am on line. Just
deleted one. Surely these are not loaded with viruses.

As an aside popups can be blocked if you use mozilla as your browser.

See http://www.mozilla.org

John.

Old 24-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Steve Yeung

You must have turned on the auto-updates feature in Window. Window will go
to the MS web site to check if updates is available. The virus disguised as
Window updates is described
here -http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=1006
62

Old 24-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Rich Conley

Yes, it was meant for someone who could take a chunk of code, and change it to work better, or
have uses that it was not meant to necessarily have...ie add functions, capabilities, etc.

pixi wrote:

I am certainly in favor of more stringent laws. There must be something out
there in the U.S. to slow the hackers, etc. down.

A month or so ago a hacker was trying to get into my computer for reasons
unknown to me. I reported him (Or her) to Norton who wrote back and said
they could do nothing because it was coming from Asia.

So our laws would not affect those from other countries.

what happens to animal viruses that get inside of plants Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 1 09-06-2004 03:23 PM
OT changing settings (was more viruses) LeeAnne Ponds 2 24-09-2003 09:02 PM
OT more viruses KenCo Ponds 42 23-09-2003 03:02 PM
Fried Norton's AntiVirus - any good ideas? ( OT more viruses) Nedra Ponds 11 22-09-2003 12:55 AM
Rasberry Viruses [email protected] United Kingdom 1 18-03-2003 07:56 PM