Old 01-10-2003, 08:12 PM
FBCS

Default OMG I can see the bottom

It is now almost winter and my pond finally decides to clear. You all
remember me complaining all season about my pond looking like the Potomac
River, well it is now clear.What created this awesome change in the water
clarity, chemicals no, UV no, was it weather, no! I added more Water
Hycianth to the pond last week ( I got a great deal local for end of season)
and it cleared in one day. I am now sold on Veggie filters. I am so happy.
I even see some babies I didn't know I had. Joann

Old 01-10-2003, 09:02 PM
pixi

Hey! The Potomac Rivers near me (North and South Branches) are usually
clear. Only when there has been torrential rain do they get murky.

Old 01-10-2003, 10:02 PM
KenCo

FBCS wrote:

It is now almost winter and my pond finally decides to clear. You all
remember me complaining all season about my pond looking like the Potomac
River, well it is now clear.What created this awesome change in the water
clarity, chemicals no, UV no, was it weather, no! I added more Water
Hycianth to the pond last week ( I got a great deal local for end of season)
and it cleared in one day. I am now sold on Veggie filters. I am so happy.
I even see some babies I didn't know I had. Joann

actually if your weather is cool/cold now that will do it.

next season leave it alone from the begining,
add more floating plants and it will clear faster.

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced
Old 01-10-2003, 10:22 PM
K30a

When it is too cold yet for water hyacinths,
in the spring, try buying watercress at the supermarket.
I tied bunches of it in a basket at the edge of
my filter and felt soooooo ahead of the game
until the mice ate it all.

k30a

Old 02-10-2003, 12:42 AM
FBCS

Check out the water going over the Woodrow Wilson bridge, people are even
afraid to fish there. I have seen the South branch that runs through
Smokehole WVA it is beautiful and clear. My husband loves it there. Joann

Old 02-10-2003, 04:33 PM
dt

FBCS wrote:

Check out the water going over the Woodrow Wilson bridge, people are even
afraid to fish there. I have seen the South branch that runs through
Smokehole WVA it is beautiful and clear. My husband loves it there. Joann

Hey, if the water's goin' over the bridge, I'd be a little nervous about
fishing there, too! ;-)

DT

Old 02-10-2003, 10:02 PM
D Kat

I also believe it was the plants. While the cold temperatures certainly
help I have seen Water Hyacinths clean up a pond in one day in the middle of
summer. The first time I saw a truly crystal clear pond it was in the front
of a store and when I asked what they did for filtering and such they said
"nothing". The upper part of their pond garden (2 layers) was filled with
water hyacinths. I could not figure out why mine were not flourishing as
these were and after trying various things found it was the fish eating the
roots (filter mechanism) away. That is when I started an upper pond with
only plants and a few rosie reds for mosquito control. It works better than
anything I have ever seen.

DKat

Old 02-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Anne Lurie

Joann, I apologize in advance!

However, at the time I'm reading this post (5:49 pm EDT), these are the two
consecutive headers for posts:

Nude Neighbor Tanning
OMG I can see the bottom

!!!

Again, I apologize, as your post obviously deserves serious comment......
but you clearly aren't going to get it from me, sigh......

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 03-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Anne Lurie

"D Kat" wrote in message
[about clearing the water in a pond]

I also believe it was the plants. While the cold temperatures certainly
help I have seen Water Hyacinths clean up a pond in one day in the middle

of
summer.

Aha! I now realize that I need to net my teeny water garden next year --
not to keep the herons out, but to keep the Water Hyacinths IN!! (They may
be wonderful additions to a water garden, but they are even better as dog
toys, according to some local culprits.)

I already have the netting -- I just have to figure out how to make the
"froggy doors" in it. (Maybe if I take out the pot with the Parrotfeather,
the frog will follow?)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 03-10-2003, 12:22 AM
Nedra

FBCS,

I was wondering about "water going over the WW bridge"
as well. :O) What exactly do you mean?

Nedra

"FBCS" wrote in message
LOL You know what I mean

Old 03-10-2003, 03:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"FBCS" wrote in message
It is now almost winter and my pond finally decides to clear. You all
remember me complaining all season about my pond looking like the Potomac
River, well it is now clear.What created this awesome change in the water
clarity, chemicals no, UV no, was it weather, no! I added more Water
Hycianth to the pond last week ( I got a great deal local for end of

season)
and it cleared in one day. I am now sold on Veggie filters. I am so

happy.
I even see some babies I didn't know I had. Joann

Young skywalker *cshoo cshee*...welcome to the dark *cshoo cshee*...side.
The force is *cshoo cshee*...strong in you.

BV.