Old 19-10-2003, 07:02 PM
John Bachman

Default When to sink hardy lilies

Hi all,

My pond temperature is down to 46 deg. F. The remaining lily pads are
yellowing. Is it time to sink them?

Precisely how is it done. Do I trim off all of the growth and just
sink the pot containing the tuber?

TIA

John

Old 19-10-2003, 07:32 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 13:53:46 -0400, John Bachman wrote:

My pond temperature is down to 46 deg. F. The remaining lily pads are
yellowing. Is it time to sink them?

Depends, I'm in Zone 7a and leave the ones in the koi ponds at 14". In the
lily pond they're on the bottom at 2 feet already.

Precisely how is it done. Do I trim off all of the growth and just
sink the pot containing the tuber? TIA John

Yes. Trim all the yellowing pads off, if you're going to screen your ponds
(as I do) remove all the pads. ~ jan

How I screen for fall/winter, click on: *My Pond Photos* Page 1 & 7
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 20-10-2003, 04:02 AM
Bob H

Jan, I live in Spokane...my lilies set at about 16-24 inches deep, do you
think I need to drop them any lower or just cut them back & let them be?

Old 20-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Terry

Hi John,

Basically, you don't want the tuber to freeze. You want it to stay in
liquid water. My preference is to wait until all of the leaves have
died off for the year, trim them off and sink the pot.

Terry

www.pondsimple.com
http://go-fishnet.com
Old 21-10-2003, 01:12 AM
Gale Pearce

Yup - put them on the bottom, as long as they are deep enough so they don't
freeze solid - my pond gets 6 - 7" ice in the coldest winters here in SW
Ont - I put mine in 17 -18" of water - not a problem in 10 yrs
Gale :~)

Old 21-10-2003, 01:42 AM
Gary Woods

"Gale Pearce" wrote:

up - put them on the bottom, as long as they are deep enough so they don't
freeze solid -

I didn't do that one year, and the lilies came through just fine.
But the plastic pails they were in broke in pieces!

Which reminds me; I gotta go make friends with somebody at Dunkin' Donuts.

Old 21-10-2003, 07:13 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:42:10 -0700, "Bob H"
wrote:

Jan, I live in Spokane...my lilies set at about 16-24 inches deep, do you
think I need to drop them any lower or just cut them back & let them be?

I don't think you need to drop them any lower than 24 inches up there. If
you use a stock tank heater to keep an opening in the ice even 16" would be
fine, as stock tank heaters tend to keep the ice thinner than just air
stones or water movement. ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a