Old 14-05-2008, 03:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default hardy lilies taking their time

I'm in Southern Ontario and the lilies have yet to reach the top of the
water. Is it me or is it still too cold for these things to really
start sprouting. There is small growth but very slow.

This is my first over winter lily .

Old 14-05-2008, 11:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I'm in Southern Ontario and the lilies have yet to reach the top of the
water. Is it me or is it still too cold for these things to really start
sprouting. There is small growth but very slow.

This is my first over winter lily .

Ditto SW Ont
nothing is really growing this spring - too cool in our area this year -
that being said, mine have just reached the surface, but I haven't
fertilized them yet. I am going to have to pull and split them and fertilize
them as well. Then I am sure they will take off
Gale :~)

Old 14-05-2008, 11:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 14 May 2008 10:25:14 EDT, ©anadian Ponder "
wrote:

I'm in Southern Ontario and the lilies have yet to reach the top of the
water. Is it me or is it still too cold for these things to really
start sprouting. There is small growth but very slow.

This is my first over winter lily .

Do you check your water temperature often?
Water lilies grow much better when the water temperature reaches 70F,
but fertilizer helps too. (I'm not sure why the fertilizer makes them
grow and bloom earlier.) I have a couple potted (fertilized) lilies
that have been blooming for a couple weeks now. Also one bare root
that the pond water measures 68.9 at this moment and it will warm a
little more a the day grows into afternoon, but it hasn't bloomed yet.
I noticed a bloom pod, the first time today, under the water. The
bare root just doesn't grow as fast or bloom as well for me, but some
like them and tying one to a brick is easier than potting, so I keep
trying.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 15-05-2008, 02:15 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

[...]

The temperatures here are still at 15 deg Celsius during the day and go
below 10 deg Celsius at night.

Old 15-05-2008, 07:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

lilies wont take off until the water temp is above 60oF or so and get som
e direct
sun. of course, my koi are nibbling at them right now too. Ingrid

Old 23-05-2008, 04:03 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

-
that being said, mine have just reached the surface, but I haven't
fertilized them yet. I am going to have to pull and split them and fertili

ze
them as well. Then I am sure they will take off

Gale :~)

My big one has already breached the surface and is about 20 inches
about the water! I live in Colorado!

Old 24-05-2008, 10:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 22 May 2008 23:03:38 EDT, chatnoir
wrote:

My big one has already breached the surface and is about 20 inches
about the water! I live in Colorado!

I divided in March, and it is interesting that some put energy into buds,
while others put energy into pads. One bud is on the surface now, I don't
expect it to open for a couple of days yet.... especially after I add water
today. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 25-05-2008, 01:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

My big one has already breached the surface and is about 20 inches
about the water! I live in Colorado!

I divided in March, and it is interesting that some put energy into buds,
while others put energy into pads. One bud is on the surface now, I don't
expect it to open for a couple of days yet.... especially after I add wate

today. ~ jan
------------

Well, I am going to have to do something with mine! It is taking over
the whole pond!

Old 25-05-2008, 01:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

My big one has already breached the surface and is about 20 inches
about the water! I live in Colorado!

Is that a lily that is 20" above the surface? Ours have never gone
more than a few inches above the surface.

Sounds more like a lotus!

Jim

Old 25-05-2008, 01:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Our bare root lilies are thriving more than the ones in stone pots.
They have spread to cover an anre of about 10' x 10'. Some of the
pads are over 12" wide.
The pond is cement, so the roots cannot go into the bottom. The
lilies don't seem to care.

Jim

Old 25-05-2008, 05:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On May 25, 6:53 am, Phyllis and Jim wrote:
My big one has already breached the surface and is about 20 inches
about the water! I live in Colorado!

Is that a lily that is 20" above the surface? Ours have never gone
more than a few inches above the surface.

Sounds more like a lotus!

Jim

That is what they told me! Here is a picture of it when it was
small! Now sure any lotus grows in 5a growing zone! Pictures

http://www.isengrim.com/DCPond.html

http://www.isengrim.com/pond20055.jpg

Old 25-05-2008, 09:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 25 May 2008 12:32:48 EDT, chatnoir
wrote:

On May 25, 6:53 am, Phyllis and Jim wrote:
My big one has already breached the surface and is about 20 inches
about the water! I live in Colorado!

Is that a lily that is 20" above the surface? Ours have never gone
more than a few inches above the surface.

Sounds more like a lotus!

Jim

That is what they told me! Here is a picture of it when it was
small! Now sure any lotus grows in 5a growing zone! Pictures

http://www.isengrim.com/DCPond.html

http://www.isengrim.com/pond20055.jpg

Ummm, if I'm looking at the right plant, the one with yellow flowers? That
an iris not a lily. Btw, lotus will survive in 5a as long as the tub
they're in doesn't freeze. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 26-05-2008, 12:57 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

The American lotus, Nelumbo lutea, grows rather rampant in Lake Winnebago which is
easily in zone 4.

Old 26-05-2008, 02:18 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I had my first lily bloom today! Attraction.

k :-))

Old 16-06-2008, 06:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"©anadian Ponder" " wrote in message news:482b71d1 Do
you check your water temperature often?
Water lilies grow much better when the water temperature reaches 70F,
but fertilizer helps too. (I'm not sure why the fertilizer makes them
grow and bloom earlier.) I have a couple potted (fertilized) lilies
that have been blooming for a couple weeks now. Also one bare root
that the pond water measures 68.9 at this moment and it will warm a
little more a the day grows into afternoon, but it hasn't bloomed yet.
I noticed a bloom pod, the first time today, under the water. The
bare root just doesn't grow as fast or bloom as well for me, but some
like them and tying one to a brick is easier than potting, so I keep
trying.

;The temperatures here are still at 15 deg Celsius during the day and go
;below 10 deg Celsius at night.

we had a couple of days of 90 degrees + (33C) and my water lilies went from
a few tiny leaves to full production with flowers... donna

Rate This Thread: