Old 26-02-2005, 05:12 PM
Roop

Default starting hardy water lilies inside

i live in ottawa on, canada and have a 500 gallon pond setup in my
back yard. right now it's covered in about a foot of ice and snow. i
removed all my fish in the fall last year and left them in a large
aquarium. i was thinking of doing the same for my water lilies.

last year i trimmed all the floating leaves and put them back in the
water. they quickly grew submerged leaves and then the pond froze
over. i was thinking if i pulled them out and started them now, i
would probably have a longer flowering season for them.

it won't be warm enough to put them back outside until april or may,
probably the end of may at that. my worry is they would grow too
quickly in a few motnhs, but if i leave them outside, i may only get
a month or two of flowering. what do you guys think?

http://www.usenet.com
Old 26-02-2005, 06:37 PM

I live in Ohio and leave the gold fish in the ponds (3) over the
winter... use a de-icer when the temperture drops to freezing. It is a
floating stock pond heater, can be purchased in a farm supply store.
Some of the fish have survived sence 1994.The heater is located in the
lower pond with a pump running to circulate the water and keeps all
three ponds from freezing over.
The ponds are 350 to 450 gallons and from 24" to 36" deep.
Regards the water lilies it may be worth taking them out for a earlier
start. I leave them in the bottom of the ponds...just lazy I guess!!!!
Waiting for Spring!!!
Richard

Old 26-02-2005, 09:03 PM
~ Windsong ~

"Roop" wrote in message
it won't be warm enough to put them back outside until april or may,
probably the end of may at that. my worry is they would grow too
quickly in a few motnhs, but if i leave them outside, i may only get
a month or two of flowering. what do you guys think?

==================================
Do you have a bright sunroom to keep them in? They wont thrive unless they
get lots of sunlight. Also keep in mind they can spread 4 to 5' across.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"WORK HARDER, millions in Welfare depend on you."

Old 26-02-2005, 09:09 PM
Roop

thanks for the input guys!

i went out there. there was about 18" of snow. under that there was a
foot of ice. i had several ideas on how to break through it. i tried
drilling through, sawing it and finally tried to melt it with fire.
those all failed misserably. i took out my trusty axe and that cut
through it like butter.

i'm glad i took my fish out. there was a strong sulfer smell. i'd
imagine there were lethal ammounts of hydrogen sulfide. i grabbed the
4 pots containing lilies. none were rotted. they all had submerged
leaves and one even had a flower bud. there was about a good foot of
non-frozen water.

if anyone else wishes to try this, here's what i suggest:

clear off the snow with a shovel. use a long drill bit to find out how
thick the ice is. make sure you don't hit the liner and axe away. make
sure you use safety goggles, the ice can move very fast and it's very
sharp.

put the lillies in a container with water from the pond and also ice
from the pond. you don't want to drop plants that were in 2°C water
into 20°C.

next thing i'm going to do is get a couple aquariums and some
shoplights. i have many planted aquariums so i have a pretty good
idea on how to grow aquatic plants indoors. i'm going to let the ice
melt on it's own, so somewhat simulate spring... in about 24 hours.

http://www.usenet.com

Old 26-02-2005, 09:09 PM
Roop

here are some pics if you guys want to take a look. they are about
200kb each.

http://www.rserve.biz/aquatics/ponds/winter/

http://www.usenet.com
Old 26-02-2005, 09:40 PM
jedi

Remember the Elton John Album "Madman Across the Water"? Don't know why
that song comes to mind.... The image of you out there with your ax however
is one that will pop up every time it seems winter has lasted too long....

Old 27-02-2005, 12:17 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 26 Feb 2005 (Roop) amazed us with:

here are some pics if you guys want to take a look. they are about
200kb each.

http://www.rserve.biz/aquatics/ponds/winter/

I'm in shock, totally dismayed. Ah.... is this your first pond winter?

Here I was, getting a jump on the season (I thought) when I went out and
took the screening off my lily pond today. The water is a chilly 40F.
Looking at my lilies, I could see nothing happening, so even though we've
had lovely above normal temps during the day (high 50s), we've had below
normal temps at night (20s). So today's planned lily pond chores will be
left for another weekend after a few warm nights. Today I did clean up the
irises and arrowheads, tomorrow I will do the lotus. The day after, weather
permitting (as I have Monday & Tuesday off) I'll doing yard pruning, too
early to do any raking or cleaning till the frogs wake up.

Needless to say, so glad everything isn't under that much snow, and if it
were. I sure wouldn't be digging for it. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 27-02-2005, 03:07 AM
Roop

Hey Carol. I was going to start them was 80 watt florescent lighting.
if they really get going it'll be going up to 240 watts. i got a 40
gallon tank for them. it's 36"x16"x18".

i do not plan on keeping them in there any longer than i have to. as
soon as it's warm enough, they are going outside. all i really want
from them is some floating leaves and good growth, nothing more.

i'll also setting for them maintaining their current size and not
rotting.

http://www.usenet.com
Old 27-02-2005, 03:07 AM
Roop

lol! thanks jedi. i'm glad i'll be in someone's memories. it was a
really warm day out. it was over freezing so i was out in my shorts
and t-shirt.

http://www.usenet.com

Old 27-02-2005, 03:25 PM
Ponder_Eh?

There is another way to keep hardy water lilies over the winter. I have
used this method a few times. Lift the lilies out of the pond just before it
freezes over and dump them out of their pots. Cut off all the dead leaves
and strip off all the dirt (along with the mass of small roots) from the
main roots. Then Sink them (in a string bag, with a rock) into a container
full of clean water and store it in a cool Dark place in the house. So far I
haven't found a place that it completely dark so when I check them during
the winter they are developing More leaves.

In the early spring - just after the ice goes out of the pond - Repot the
lilies and sink them in the pond. I usually get my hardy plants, and my fish
back into the pond before May 1st. In Ottawa you may be able to start the
pond up 2 weeks earlier than I can.

--
Ponder_Eh?
The Pond http://my.tbaytel.net/tboard/

Old 27-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Roop

i may give that a try next year ponder. i love the pics on your site
btw.

http://www.usenet.com
Old 27-02-2005, 10:19 PM
~ Windsong ~

"Roop" wrote in message
Hey Carol. I was going to start them was 80 watt florescent lighting.
if they really get going it'll be going up to 240 watts. i got a 40
gallon tank for them. it's 36"x16"x18".

## That should do it.

i do not plan on keeping them in there any longer than i have to. as
soon as it's warm enough, they are going outside. all i really want
from them is some floating leaves and good growth, nothing more.

## I understand, you have a short season there. Here in TN they're
getting small new leaves already.

i'll also setting for them maintaining their current size and not
rotting.

## I have seldom had one to rot. I have had koi rip them from their pots
and kill them... :-(

Old 28-02-2005, 05:00 PM
derek

Roop wrote:

last year i trimmed all the floating leaves and put them back in the
water. they quickly grew submerged leaves and then the pond froze
over. i was thinking if i pulled them out and started them now, i
would probably have a longer flowering season for them.

Perhaps. As Carol mentioned, you need a lot of light. Those submerged
leaves are called "indicator leaves". They're usually quite small, and
their sole purpose is to trigger growth when light levels get high enough.

ime, you get no head start keeping lilies in an ordinary aquarium under
living room lighting. What you get is a guarantee that they won't get
frozen :-)

it won't be warm enough to put them back outside until april or may,
probably the end of may at that. my worry is they would grow too
quickly in a few motnhs, but if i leave them outside, i may only get
a month or two of flowering. what do you guys think?

You run a greater risk of shortening the flowering season by repotting
your lilies with the crowns too deep in the soil, than by leaving them
in the pond to restart themselves.
--
derek