Old 22-10-2003, 08:02 AM
Judi9000

Default fish deformities

While observing fish at a koi show I spotted one that was for sale that had a
crooked face.

Why are some koi deformed?
Does this happen with other fish?
Where can I get info?

Old 28-10-2003, 04:12 PM
ponder

Was it the fish or the markings that made it look that way?
Breeders get rid of what is not top quality, they cant keep everything,
sometimes even what looks really bad maybe only something that happened to
that fish when it was young, if it was born that way, dont touch it unless
very very cheap or free, it may 'throw' that deformity into its offspring,
but an accident will not harm the offspring.
www.koivet.com

Old 29-10-2003, 04:12 AM
Judi9000

This ones face was crooked! He was with several other fish and the breeder
didn't notice it. I asked him about it because I was curious and had never seen
that before. He was a little bothered and kind of just acted like it wasn't
there. I was just wondering if these types of things happen with just koi or
all fish, and what causes it.

Old 03-11-2003, 05:43 PM
Judi9000

This one was just a solid white guy. Do you know what causes this?
Old 12-11-2003, 06:02 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 03 Nov 2003 17:36:38 GMT, (Judi9000) wrote:

This one was just a solid white guy. Do you know what causes this?

Generics. ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 15-11-2003, 11:22 PM
BenignVanilla

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
news
On 03 Nov 2003 17:36:38 GMT, (Judi9000) wrote:

This one was just a solid white guy. Do you know what causes this?

Generics. ~ jan

I'm a pretty solid white guy. Not sure what caused me.

BV.
WebPorgmaster
www.IHeartMyPond.com
Help Support IHMP by shopping at Amazon.com thru our associates link,
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...me/dcg8118-20.

Old 15-11-2003, 11:33 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 18:12:43 -0500, "BenignVanilla" wrote:

This one was just a solid white guy. Do you know what causes this?

Generics. ~ jan

I'm a pretty solid white guy.

Genetics (I'm having deja vue). ;o)

Not sure what caused me.

I'm sure "the wild thing" can be blamed. ~ jan
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 16-11-2003, 04:32 AM
Judi9000

SOOOO funny! I meant,"do you know what causes the crooked face?". I'm
understanding now that it's possibly from lack of vit.C, or too small of a
living space, or was injured, or just genetics. You people are just plane
funny.

Old 16-11-2003, 06:12 PM

most deformities of this kind are either there at birth from developmental defects
during development of the embryo, or, due to poor nutrition, or, recovery from
serious infection. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 17-11-2003, 03:32 AM
Judi9000

Hi again Ingrid. I don't have any deformities in any of my fish. I just noticed
one for sale at a koi show. I was just a little interested in finding out more
about it. Thank you for your replies. Judi
Old 19-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Tom La Bron

Hi Judi,

Besides Genetics, fish deformities can be cause by high ammonia content in
the water when eggs are developing. Deformities can also occur when quick
temperature changes occur to eggs or fry. One of the biggest reasons for
fish deformities is water quality during the fry stage. High ammonia, high
nitrites and chemicals in the water are all reasons for deformities. Poor
water quality is probably the biggest reason for deformities in KOI and
Goldfish fry and can cause other physical damage to the fish is continued as
the fish grows.

Like I always have said, "the third things for good fish care is Good water,
clear water, Clean water. If you concentrate on these three precepts you
will have happy, health fish.

Tom L.L.

Old 23-11-2003, 10:11 PM
Elizabeth Naime

I've never seen a crooked-face fish, but at one time a lot of the small
koi in the local pet stores (not speciality fish stores) looked quite
normal from above, but from the side it was apparent that their tails
were turned up. Normal fish profile up to the peduncle, I think it's
called, then a noticeable elbow -- looked about 25-30 degrees.

Some of them were pretty enough fish otherwise, and I seriously
considered them, but didn't know how serious the tail thing was. Haven't
seen them lately so either it was one "bad batch" due to conditions
during and shortly after spawning, or a genetic thing whose parents
haven't been spawning for those companies since. Anyway, would this type
of deformity cause problems?

Only know that there is no spork.
Old 24-11-2003, 03:22 PM

not sure, but why buy somebody's culls and if they were so poorly grown in the first
place what other hidden problems are there? Ingrid

Elizabeth Naime wrote:

I've never seen a crooked-face fish, but at one time a lot of the small
koi in the local pet stores (not speciality fish stores) looked quite
normal from above, but from the side it was apparent that their tails
were turned up. Normal fish profile up to the peduncle, I think it's
called, then a noticeable elbow -- looked about 25-30 degrees.

Some of them were pretty enough fish otherwise, and I seriously
considered them, but didn't know how serious the tail thing was. Haven't
seen them lately so either it was one "bad batch" due to conditions
during and shortly after spawning, or a genetic thing whose parents
haven't been spawning for those companies since. Anyway, would this type
of deformity cause problems?

Only know that there is no spork.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Help: Fish STILL dying (was "fish are dying" JGW Ponds 16 15-06-2004 01:06 AM
Algae free fish tank vs Algae fish tank -=Almazick=- Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 23-10-2003 03:03 AM
koi deformities Judi9000 Ponds 2 22-10-2003 05:02 AM
Fish pond water kills all fish within 24 hours. [email protected] Ponds 99 20-08-2003 08:02 AM
SOS! SICK FISH!/do all dead fish float?/Melafix?/Furanase Jo Bohannon-Grant MD Ponds 3 10-06-2003 04:08 AM