Old 24-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Jim Humphries

Default PP Treatment

The pond, the pictures and the detailed description of PP treatment are very
much appreciated. While I hope never to need to use PP, I feel much better
about it now.
--
Jim Humphries
Victoria, BC
From: "Theo van Daele"
Subject: "Bomb the pond" in pictures
Date: October 23, 2003 10:39 PM

Hey folks,

I ment to post this link before but then forgot.

On this page you get a report with lots of pictures as how it can look like
when doing a PP treatment.

It may be of some help for people wanting or needing to do this treatment
for the first time. I know I always shied away, but this summer I had to
bite the bullet because of Trichodina on a few fish, so I decided to
document the treatment.

Disclaimer: this info is what it looked like in *my* pond, your mileage may
vary, so please don't just copy what I did as this stuff is quite powerful.
The article does point on several occasions to Roark's ultimate FAQ, which
was my guide all along.

Normally I'd say "don't start a ruck" over PP, but as the newsgroup is a bit
like our fish at the moment (calmly hovering at the bottom with these colder
temps ) it may or may not be a good time to sparkle off a healthy debate.

Enjoy

I'm proud to say smirk that an adapted version will be published in a
Dutch koi magazine this Christmas. Fame !

http://www.wide-o.net/pptreatment/

Theo

Old 24-10-2003, 05:12 PM
Theo van Daele

Hey Jim,

Kind comments appreciated. Hope my information will never be of use to you
in a way ! ;-)

But if ever, the information is there.

Cheers,

Theo

Old 27-10-2003, 02:42 PM
Lee B.

Hey Theo! Sorry for being a "late entrant" to the thread - family emergency
for the last week (more to come :-( ), but your photo essay on a PP
treatment was very good! Due to lack of a bottom drain and poor design, I
use "mini charges" of PP once a week (or less) to clean my pond. By "mini
charges", I mean .15 ppm or so, no where near the dose needed for parasites.
Even though I monitor treatments with an ORP meter, I was scared witless the
first time I used it! As you noticed, inintially the fish went to bottom: my
theory is that it got dark, so they think it's bedtime! As the charge burns
off, it becomes
"less dark", and they behave normally. The stuff can be terribly deadly if
not properly used, but it is also a very useful tool.

Again, very good essay on what to expect!

Lee

Old 28-10-2003, 05:22 AM

it was not added dilute enough or slowly enough if it makes a local area that dark.
that is when koi swim thru it and can damage their gills. Ingrid

, I was scared witless the
first time I used it! As you noticed, inintially the fish went to bottom: my
theory is that it got dark, so they think it's bedtime!

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.