Old 03-11-2003, 06:12 AM
John Johnston

Default Pond removal questions.

The place we just moved into has/had a 10x10x3 foot deep backyard
pond. The previous owner evacuated the wildlife and 1/2 drained
it.

We'd like to remove it fully -- but how so.

The tasks a

Remove balance of water - It will need to be pumped so
as not to stink up the neighbors yards with sludge water.
What sort of pump would work? Would a septic company
do something like this?

Remove liner - it appears it was a big square as the corners
are bunched. I can't think of a way to cut it up till the water
is gone (hoping the water would seep out into the ground naturally
was a thought, but this is rocky clay soil).

Fill it up - Any special precautions? I was thinking just cover the
bottom sludge and trash left (cinder blocks, and two broken pumps that
live in there now - wonderfully taken care of - I'm happy the fish
found a good home).

Any other considerations would be helpful as well.

Many thanks,

-johnj
Old 03-11-2003, 01:22 PM
Mutton

The easiest way to remove the water is to use something
like a submersible pool cover pump that attaches to a
garden hose to evac the water. These can be found,
generally, at your local pool supply retailer and are
priced in the $30-100 range. I don't know what a septic
company would charge, but my guess is that it would
be comparable.

- Mutt

om...

Old 03-11-2003, 02:02 PM
BenignVanilla

[...]

How about just cutting some holes in the liner? If you are getting rid of
the pond anyway, saving the liner is probably a worthless task. You could
cut it down below the water line as low as you can get, and then poke holes
in the bottom with a shovel. This should drain the water out, and then you
can just fill the hole in and let the small remaining piece of liner lie.

BV.

Old 03-11-2003, 03:32 PM
Theo van Daele

LOL BV... personal story here.

As short as it takes to lose your water because of an unwanted leak, you'd
be *amazed* how long it takes for bloody water to drain when you want it to
:-)

I did the "shovel trick" this year when I was rebuilding my pond (and didn't
want to keep the old PVC liner), and after a frustrating long night & day, I
went out to buy me a sump pump

You can rent sump pumps BTW together with long hoses (I needed 180 ft), not
expensive, and the best way to get the water removed without causing a ruck
with your neighbours ;-) Cost of renting was something like 40 USD for a
day.

Theo

Old 03-11-2003, 05:02 PM
REBEL JOE

Attached Files
File Type: (53 Bytes, 111 views)

Old 04-11-2003, 11:02 PM
Teeb

*sniffle sniff* get RID OF IT?? Here I am still trying to convince hubby
what a lovely 2nd huge pond the swimming pool could be and you want to get
RID of one???? wow. all the really hard backbreaking work has been done
including the price of a liner (they aren't cheap for one that big!!) are
you really really sure you don't want a beautiful water feature to enhance
your lovely new home?? Just think of peaceful evenings after dinner, sitting
by the pond enjoying the gorgeous lily flowers.. a lotus or two.. the
dragonfly perched on the tip of a reed.. a few colorful 8 inch long goldfish
swimming gracefully across to stop near by and beg for a hand out..
And the cinderblocks, btw, were probably used to set plant pots on.. the
broken pumps.. well.. that's just lazy