Old 13-11-2003, 04:32 PM
Mouse

Default Zones

Reading various post on this NG it seems to me that Zones relate in some way
to temperature. Here in the UK it is either hot or cold. :-) So could some
kind person let me have a list of these Zones and related temperatures, if I
am correct in my assumption..
Mouse

---

Old 13-11-2003, 05:12 PM
KenCo

Mouse wrote:

Reading various post on this NG it seems to me that Zones relate in some way
to temperature. Here in the UK it is either hot or cold. :-) So could some
kind person let me have a list of these Zones and related temperatures, if I
am correct in my assumption..
Mouse

I dont have the zone chart URL but basicly
the zone # is the coldest it usually gets,
the higher numbers are warmer.

the UK is probably somewhere around zones
7 or 8 since you dont get the really nasty
freezing weather.

Im in Rhode Island (think Newport, zone 6,
-10 F is coldest winter temps.
zone 5 (New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine) would
be -20 F

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121
Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced
Old 13-11-2003, 06:32 PM
Steve and Lisa

Other than this past summer.....when is it really every "hot" in the
UK.....lol....j/k. (Hubby from there, and I know it's rarely as hot as in
Ohio-Indiana-Illinois...or especially Missouri in summer ....places I've
lived in the US.....been in UK August...so cold I made Steve put the heating
on......rofl!)

Lisa
. ..

Old 13-11-2003, 07:22 PM
Mouse

Thanks got the general idea. Has been known to get down to about -15 here
when the wind comes from Siberia.
Mouse

Old 13-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Nat

The zones represent the lowest average temp that an area receives. The
USDA produces the map most people reference. The USDA's page explaining
the map and zones is he http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/index.html

Lurker

Old 14-11-2003, 09:12 AM
Skooch

Mouse wrote:

Reading various post on this NG it seems to me that Zones relate in
some way
to temperature. Here in the UK it is either hot or cold. :-) So could
some
kind person let me have a list of these Zones and related
temperatures, if I
am correct in my assumption..
Mouse

Most of the UK is Zone 8. The western coast is Zone 9, and a small
section in the Northeast is zone 7.
This URL will give you the zones of Europe and Eastern Russia,

http://www.uk.gardenweb.com/forums/zones/hze.html

Old 14-11-2003, 04:42 PM
BenignVanilla

"Mouse" wrote in message
. ..
Reading various post on this NG it seems to me that Zones relate in some

way
to temperature. Here in the UK it is either hot or cold. :-) So could some
kind person let me have a list of these Zones and related temperatures, if

am correct in my assumption..
Mouse

Mouse,

Our USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) has published several
maps of the US that define "zones" for argicultural reasons. Typically when
we talk about zones here, we are talking about the plant hardiness zones,
but there are first frost zone maps, last frost maps, etc.

We have a listing of some sites with great information on zones on our web
site at:

http://www.iheartmypond.com/topiclis...=Zone%2520Maps

BV.
WebPorgmaster
www.IHeartMyPond.com
Help Support IHMP by shopping at Amazon.com thru our associates link,
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...me/dcg8118-20.

Old 15-11-2003, 01:03 AM
Snooze

"Mouse" wrote in message
. ..
Reading various post on this NG it seems to me that Zones relate in some

way
to temperature. Here in the UK it is either hot or cold. :-) So could some
kind person let me have a list of these Zones and related temperatures, if

am correct in my assumption..
Mouse

The USDA (US Department of Agriculture) has defined a system of Zones, for
describing the average lowest winter temperature.

You can see the list of the zones, and a map of where the different zones in
the US are at this website
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/hrdzon3.html

Sameer

Old 15-11-2003, 01:42 AM
Charles

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:18:59 -0000, "Mouse"
wrote:

Thanks got the general idea. Has been known to get down to about -15 here
when the wind comes from Siberia.
Mouse

They are based on the average cold temperature, not extremes.
--

- Charles
-