Old 17-11-2003, 03:02 PM
BenignVanilla

Default I Think We Have a Comet

The water in Shareholders Pond has been quite clear lately, as I have not
been touching it at all. Anyway, we were watching the fish yesterday, and
noticed that one of the goldies we had thrown in months ago, had a very long
flowing tail. It's a bit thinner then the other guys, which are quite the
chubbos...I think this guy is a comet.

--
BV.
WebPorgmaster

Old 17-11-2003, 10:03 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I may be wrong, but I thought all feeder goldfish were comets. Then there
are sarassas (sic), shubunkins (2 different varieties), fantails (many
different varieties) and walkings. Not sure that really covers the all the
goldfish groups or not, maybe someone else can list them? ~ jan

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 10:00:40 -0500, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

The water in Shareholders Pond has been quite clear lately, as I have not
been touching it at all. Anyway, we were watching the fish yesterday, and
noticed that one of the goldies we had thrown in months ago, had a very long
flowing tail. It's a bit thinner then the other guys, which are quite the
chubbos...I think this guy is a comet.

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 18-11-2003, 12:22 AM
BenignVanilla

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
I may be wrong, but I thought all feeder goldfish were comets. Then there
are sarassas (sic), shubunkins (2 different varieties), fantails (many
different varieties) and walkings. Not sure that really covers the all the
goldfish groups or not, maybe someone else can list them? ~ jan

snip

This guy definately looks different from the rest. As soon as I find my
battery charger I'll see if I can get a picture. His tails if very long and
flowing. The other guys are not so flamboyant.

--
BenignVanilla
www.iheartmypond.com

Do you want to supplement your income
with a stay at home job, AND help the
environment?

Check www.AMothersDream.com

Old 21-11-2003, 04:22 AM
Tom La Bron

Jan,

This is a merchandizing misnomer. Comet sounds more exotic than Common
goldfish. Most feeders are just plain common goldfish. For the fish to be
an official Comet the tail must be at least three quarters the length of the
body to one and one half the body length. The longer the better. In the
30's some were bred with tails that were twice the fishes body length.

The Comet is a distinct American Variety of Goldfish and the rest in the
feeder tank are just common Goldfish. Over the years though the name comet
just seemed to migrate to any single tailed long bodied fish, which is
wrong. While you are looking in the feeder tank look for a Goldfish with a
long ribbon like tail. The tail on this fish is long, no fork and looks
like a wide piece of Ribbon tailing the fish. Some feeder breeders are
getting some of these fish. These too were popular in the 40's and were the
original Ribbon-tailed Goldfish. Ribbon-tails were suppose to be at least
one and one half the body length of the fish. Walt Disney was intralled
with these fish and if your watch Fantasia you will see them as the Goldfish
in the Arabian Dance.

HTH

Tom L.L.
========================

Old 23-11-2003, 04:22 AM
Judi9000

I have even purchased some pretty koi from the feeder tanks. I have 4 yellow
babies and about 10 metalic ones. I've even seen tad poles and heard of
crawfish being in those tanks.

Lemon Comet, retry WilsonKKW Ponds 0 13-07-2004 02:02 PM
Comet Problem rob.smith4 Ponds 2 11-04-2004 04:02 PM
Comet-Mouth Problem Szpond Ponds 7 15-10-2003 03:02 PM
My Comet David Hahn Ponds 4 07-08-2003 04:42 AM
dead koi/upside down comet info Bruce Ponds 7 02-08-2003 06:13 PM