Old 06-08-2003, 12:22 AM
David Hahn

Default My Comet

I have a 4 year old Comet (fantail) that until about 4 weeks ago swam with
everybody else in the pond. He now just hangs out in shallow water by
himself , doesn't swim much and the other fish don't seem to have anything
to do with him. There are no marks on him and other than just hanging out on
the sides, he seems healthy.
Is this normal? What might be his problem?

Old 07-08-2003, 01:32 AM
Sylvia

David, I had the exact problem! My four yr old fantail has been with her
pond mates since I got all of them. Another large Comet went missing 10 days
ago.. and the fantail started hiding behind a pot and wouldn't even come
out to eat. Well I found the missing comet DEAD and beaten to a pulp. This
got me wondering if maybe the fantail knew something I didn't! This AM I
was at the pond and witnessed the Koi actually beating up on her! I
removed her to a smaller pond & she is most grateful.
Now that the Koi have grown so large, they have become agressive bullies,
the little Fantail that grew up with them has now become their target. Just
my observation.
SunnyNYzone 4-5

"Just living is not enough"said the Butterfly,
"One must have sunshine,freedom and a little flower"
Hans C.Anderson
*

Old 07-08-2003, 03:23 AM
Nedra

Sylvia, How awful. I have comets and koi and have had these
same guys and gals for 8 or 9 years. I've not seen any aggresive
behavior but will be on the lookout now. I do have one orange
butterfly who has an attitude! He is the one I should watch.
Thanks!

Nedra

Old 07-08-2003, 04:42 AM

when female GF are ready to spawn that is when GF and koi together is a real problem.
even male GF can over spawn females to death. Ingrid

Sylvia wrote:

David, I had the exact problem! My four yr old fantail has been with her
pond mates since I got all of them. Another large Comet went missing 10 days
ago.. and the fantail started hiding behind a pot and wouldn't even come
out to eat. Well I found the missing comet DEAD and beaten to a pulp. This
got me wondering if maybe the fantail knew something I didn't! This AM I
was at the pond and witnessed the Koi actually beating up on her! I
removed her to a smaller pond & she is most grateful.
Now that the Koi have grown so large, they have become agressive bullies,
the little Fantail that grew up with them has now become their target. Just
my observation.
SunnyNYzone 4-5

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Lemon Comet, retry WilsonKKW Ponds 0 13-07-2004 02:02 PM
Comet Problem rob.smith4 Ponds 2 11-04-2004 04:02 PM
I Think We Have a Comet BenignVanilla Ponds 4 23-11-2003 04:22 AM
Comet-Mouth Problem Szpond Ponds 7 15-10-2003 03:02 PM
dead koi/upside down comet info Bruce Ponds 7 02-08-2003 06:13 PM