Old 18-11-2003, 12:22 AM
BenignVanilla

Default Damsel Flies Indoors

I have a small 10 gallon tank that I have some minnows in, a plant or two,
and a handful of frogbit. I am trying to beef up some snails in there, and
the tank is running great. Apparently some damselfly eggs hitched a ride on
a plant, as I found one buzzing around the tank. She doesn't seem to leave
the tank at all even though there is no lid.

What should I do?

I can't have her buzzing around the house, but if I put her out side that
would definately lead to *bum bum bum* certain...death.

BenignVanilla
www.iheartmypond.com

Do you want to supplement your income
with a stay at home job, AND help the
environment?

Check www.AMothersDream.com

Old 18-11-2003, 01:03 AM
Nedra

BV,

Why not just let the damselfly roam? She is staying in the tank -
maybe she likes it there. What could she possibly hurt if she
were to cut loose and fly around?

Nedra

Old 18-11-2003, 01:12 AM
K30a

Take an apple and an orange and put
them in a container with the damselfly.
Cover with lots of mess screening and
wait for the fruit flies to hatch.
The damselfly will eat the fruit
flies and hopefully they won't escape
(this is where I learned to use more
than one layer of screening...)

k30a
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html

Old 18-11-2003, 01:22 AM
BenignVanilla

"K30a" wrote in message

Take an apple and an orange and put
them in a container with the damselfly.
Cover with lots of mess screening and
wait for the fruit flies to hatch.
The damselfly will eat the fruit
flies and hopefully they won't escape
(this is where I learned to use more
than one layer of screening...)

I have a problem with aphids on the frogbit. Will the DF eat those?

--
BV.
WebPorgmaster

Old 18-11-2003, 01:22 AM
BenignVanilla

"Nedra" wrote in message
ink.net...
BV,

Why not just let the damselfly roam? She is staying in the tank -
maybe she likes it there. What could she possibly hurt if she
were to cut loose and fly around?

snip

So far that is what I have been doing so far. I just wasn't sure it was a
good idea.

Old 18-11-2003, 01:22 AM
K30a

BV wrote

I have a problem with aphids on the frogbit. Will the DF eat those?

Yes. Which is probably why she is hanging around
in the tank. kewl!

Old 18-11-2003, 05:12 AM
Nedra

What in the world could one little damselfly Hurt? I'd
name her and let her do her thing.

Do as Kathy suggests...
Her rationale is more likely the reason your
little darlin' is hanging around the tank.

Old 19-11-2003, 03:02 AM
BenignVanilla

"Nedra" wrote in message
ink.net...
What in the world could one little damselfly Hurt? I'd
name her and let her do her thing.

snip

Clearly...I don't know which is why I asked. Just what is her "thing"?

BV.

Old 19-11-2003, 03:12 AM
K30a

BV wrote Just what is her "thing"?

buzzing around, snarfing up bugs, settling
down on a stem and chowing down on snarfed bug, buzzing around, finding a male
damselfly.... oops.
Hmmmm, BV, I think you need to go out, reach
way down into the freezing depths, sift through
the cold mud and find a male damselfly nymph and
bring him in! It's the least you can do.

Old 21-11-2003, 04:33 AM
BenignVanilla

"K30a" wrote in message
BV wrote Just what is her "thing"?

buzzing around, snarfing up bugs, settling
down on a stem and chowing down on snarfed bug, buzzing around, finding

male
damselfly.... oops.
Hmmmm, BV, I think you need to go out, reach
way down into the freezing depths, sift through
the cold mud and find a male damselfly nymph and
bring him in! It's the least you can do.

I'd happily do so, if I knew where to look and what to look for. Another
interesting thing, my DF apparently commutes. She is gone all day, and the
comes back in the evening to chill by the water.

Ugh. *sniffle* She is gone. I added water to the tank the other day and I
fear I drown her, I haven't seen her in days.