Old 19-11-2003, 05:22 PM
Chagoi

Default Peas only diet

Hi
I seem to have a small problem, in that my pond kids only want to eat peas.
It has gone from a treat to a requirement for them.
I feed them their normal koi food (Sho Koi) and it will float on the
water for 2,3,4 days before they eat it.
Even if I skip a day or two of peas.

I brought them inside for the winter, 4 weeks ago, they are in "The
TOMB" in my basement.
(http://www.ourkoipond.com/The_Tomb3.htm)
They seem perfectly happy, their appitite (For peas only) is great, the
water quality is 99.9% perfect.
Water temp. steady 66 degs.
They even started to meet me at the entrance of the tomb.
I'm just a little concerned that they may not be getting all the
necessary nutriments they need.
They also seem to be getting a rather good supply of Caddis flys which
came in with the pump and vortex setup.

Any thoughts/comments

Chagoi

OT ... Anne Laurie did you get Mailwasher up and running?

Old 20-11-2003, 07:09 PM

dont feed them for 3-5 days. put in 2 pellets per fish, no more. walk away and see
if it is gone in an hour or so.
if this doesnt work, switch food. I have never had fussy GF or koi, but peas have
almost NO nutrition that can be used by koi. it is a laxative. Ingrid

Chagoi wrote:
I seem to have a small problem, in that my pond kids only want to eat peas.
It has gone from a treat to a requirement for them.
I feed them their normal koi food (Sho Koi) and it will float on the
water for 2,3,4 days before they eat it.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 26-11-2003, 05:23 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Our neighbor got his cat onto a 'wet food' diet of expensive cat food. It
turned up its nose at all else. It waited him out on when he moved back to
dry cat food. That process, repeated, is how kids get taught to tantrum!
Longer and longer waits until the parents give in.

To get them to eat other stuff, stop peas. Inconsistent stopping will teach
them to wait another day in hopes that the peas will come. Given a choice
of no food or regular food, they will choose regular before death!

Try peas again once they have been on regular for a month or two. If they
do the nose-up routine again, you get to wait them out again.

Good luck.

Jim