Old 20-11-2003, 10:05 PM
Dave M.

Default String Algae

We put our pond in this summer, about 4500 gallons, didn't get it going
until mid August. 17 small goldfish, a few plants, all seem to be doing well
and water temp is down to about 45 so we're not feeding the fish anymore.
While it was hot this summer, water stayed clear and no issues, now that it
has gotten cold, we're starting to see string algae, will this grow all
winter (we're in Northern Virginia) or will it die off in the colder
weather? Trying to decide if we should treat it or just remove it by hand
for now, not getting a lot but just caught me off guard given how cold the
water is when it appeared. Thanks.

Old 21-11-2003, 04:32 AM
BenignVanilla

"Dave M." wrote in message
. ..
We put our pond in this summer, about 4500 gallons, didn't get it going
until mid August. 17 small goldfish, a few plants, all seem to be doing

well
and water temp is down to about 45 so we're not feeding the fish anymore.
While it was hot this summer, water stayed clear and no issues, now that

it
has gotten cold, we're starting to see string algae, will this grow all
winter (we're in Northern Virginia) or will it die off in the colder
weather? Trying to decide if we should treat it or just remove it by hand
for now, not getting a lot but just caught me off guard given how cold the
water is when it appeared. Thanks.

IMHO...string algae is good when controlled. It is a voracious eater, so
again IMHO if it grows that hardily, then it will help to out compete the
green water. It is easy to remove by hand, in my experience (sorry tired of
IMHO) it's easy to manage. I also found that this fall it was a great tool
for catching and removing leaves and pine needles.

BV.

Old 22-11-2003, 02:07 AM
Dave M.

Good points, no need to get crazy about getting rid of it, the main thing
that caught me off guard was how it started growing only after the water got
cold but guess it was probably more reasonable to think it started growing
after there was time for the water to get some nutrients from fish food and
waste to a point where it could grow.

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

. ..

Old 08-12-2003, 05:03 PM
ponder

surprisingly algae loves the cool water. Most people think it needs hot
water but it starts in the cool water, usually in the spring. Then it kicks
in, why? because it has so much food.
It will keep your water clear and I would leave it for now it will die as it
cant take a freeze.

"Dave M." wrote in message
. ..
Good points, no need to get crazy about getting rid of it, the main thing
that caught me off guard was how it started growing only after the water

got
cold but guess it was probably more reasonable to think it started growing
after there was time for the water to get some nutrients from fish food

and
waste to a point where it could grow.

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

. ..

Old 12-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Tom La Bron

Ponder,

You are so correct. My pond is trying running, pumps and filter and my
water temps are in the high 30's over night and the string algae is doing
great. Every once and a while I have to raise my main pump and clear the
sucked in string algae from the intake because it has the tendency of
slowing the flow, but it sure grows great in my pond area where the pump is
positioned.

Tom L.L.
"ponder" wrote in message
.. .
surprisingly algae loves the cool water. Most people think it needs hot
water but it starts in the cool water, usually in the spring. Then it

kicks
in, why? because it has so much food.
It will keep your water clear and I would leave it for now it will die as

it
cant take a freeze.

"Dave M." wrote in message
. ..
Good points, no need to get crazy about getting rid of it, the main

thing
that caught me off guard was how it started growing only after the water

got
cold but guess it was probably more reasonable to think it started

growing
after there was time for the water to get some nutrients from fish food

and
waste to a point where it could grow.

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

. ..