Old 23-11-2003, 10:11 PM
Bob in PA

Default Snake in fishtank/ID?

Figured everyone might find this interesting, sorry for the cross
post. -

I got a frantic phone call yesterday from my girlfriend who said
something about a snake in the fishtank. After I got her to calm down, the
story went something like this: She had gone downstairs into her
fathers fish room to feed the fish, and saw a tail sticking up from the
water. Upon further investigation, it turned out to be an 18" snake curled
up in 55 gallon sword tail tank.
The really interesting part is this; the snake had to A) get in the
house and into the finished basement. B) climb up a table of approx. 3 feet
high. C) climb up into the 18 inch high tank. Here is a link to a picture,
can anyone ID it for me? http://trains99.tripod.com/snake.html
I know it's not poisonous, and I'm thinking some kind garter snake? I'm
in SE Pennsylvania.

Bob

Old 23-11-2003, 11:16 PM
formerly K30a

OH!
MY GOSH!

Yes, it looks like a garter snake and they
will get in a pond and go after fish.

And having had a snake slither happily into our
downstairs familyroom while I was heading downstairs with a basket of laundry I
can see this happening.
I can soooooo commiserate!

Ka30P
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 24-11-2003, 12:02 AM
blove

definatly a gartersnake, must have had a heck of a meal on the swordtails.
i have a couple for pets, i feed em feederfish. its strange how he managed
to get into the tank tho.

Old 24-11-2003, 01:33 AM
Dinky

"blove" wrote in message
.. .
definatly a gartersnake, must have had a heck of a meal on the swordtails.

Confirm that, we have tons here. If I'm looking at the pic right, he's jus'
a baby.

Old 24-11-2003, 02:14 AM
0rion

"Bob in PA" wrote in message
[...]

gartersnake

and he says "thank you for the fishies, yum".

Old 24-11-2003, 11:42 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

I grew up in Syracuse. Used to have those as pets. Gartersnakess love
fish. A bit rough on the swords!

Jim

Old 24-11-2003, 06:04 PM
Gail Futoran

"Bob in PA" wrote in message
[...]

That's a great story. I can't see the snake well enough
to even try to identify it, but an Internet search showed
plenty of snake/herps sites for PA. Sounds like a very
enterprising snake. I hope you can give it a good home!

Gail
San Antonio TX

Old 27-11-2003, 07:20 PM

In rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc Gail Futoran wrote:

I hope you can give it a good home!

If it wasn't happy, it would have left by now.

Warm, wet and a good supply of fresh food (until the swords are
all gone.
Old 29-11-2003, 02:12 AM
Bob in PA

Sammy the snake has left the building and is on his way to a new home.
Before he left, I got some better pictures of him.

http://trains99.tripod.com/snake.html

These are scaled down, the originals are almost 5 megapixels big. If
anyone wants them, I'll put them up on my page.

Bob