Old 19-12-2003, 01:42 AM
Toad

Default Travelling Frogs?

I've had numerous frogs take up residence in my small pond for a few weeks at a
time, and I've often wondered where they come from, and where do they go from
here? I found a rather large, striped one in the pond today, that wasn't there
last week. In fact, there have been no frogs in my pond for the last two
months. Earlier in the year, there have been from 1 to 3 frogs in my pond at
any given time, but they're not always the same frogs. It seems like my pond
is a frog motel, that they stay in during their travels. I never see frogs in
my yard or in the streets, (I live in a suburban area), the nearest body of
frog-friendly water is over 1/4 mile away, so I wonder how they travel to and
from my pond. Anyone else have this situation?
Regards,
Byron Wood
Old 19-12-2003, 03:32 AM
Ka30P

Frogs travel when it is moist out,
rain, or lawn sprinklers or even high
humidity. They are looking for food
for the most part,
shelter or a place to breed
depending on the time of year. Not all
frogs are aquatic though they will hang
around a pond as it attracts insects.
Bullfrogs are the most aquatic of frogs
and greenfrogs like the water also.
Treefrogs like trees ;-)
Toads are the land lubbers of the amphibians
and usually are only found in water during
breeding time.
If the temperature gets really low the frogs
slow way down and crawl under leaf litter
or under logs. Some species can freeze
and unfreeze. Bullfrogs will hang out at the
bottom of the pond. They are all temperature
dependent. Gets too low and they just
can't move. Warms up and out they come.
All depends on what part of the country
you are in and how your winter is going.

ka30p
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 19-12-2003, 01:33 PM
Steve and Lisa

We started out with 6 tadpoles in the spring, ended up with 5 frogs in the
end......three of which left my pond only have two remaining. LOL, if you
live in North Canton Ohio...maybe they were ours. ;o)

Lisa

Old 20-12-2003, 04:33 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Toad" wrote in message
.. I never see frogs in
: my yard or in the streets, (I live in a suburban area), the nearest body
of
: frog-friendly water is over 1/4 mile away, so I wonder how they travel
to and
: from my pond. Anyone else have this situation?
: Regards,
The closest lake is about a mile from us. Seemed like within days of
putting our pond in we had several kinds of frogs. Then snakes, then
herons, then snapping turtles....
--
Carol.....
My webpages http://www.heartoftn.net/users/windsong/indexpage.html