Old 26-03-2003, 07:32 AM
YSL

Default How to stop fish travelling down the cascade?

Hi all,

I have a question for you guys. How to stop fish travelling down the
cascade?
I have a 3 tier pond with goldfish. I initially put fish in all ponds and
put pebbles at the water outlet to stop fish travelling down. After
sometime, all fish ended up at the bottom pond. I thought to put wire screen
and considered it was ugly. Any ideas folks?
Thank you for your attention.

YSL
Melbourne

Old 26-03-2003, 08:08 AM
Carola / Les

"YSL" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have a question for you guys. How to stop fish travelling down the
cascade?
I have a 3 tier pond with goldfish. I initially put fish in all ponds and
put pebbles at the water outlet to stop fish travelling down. After
sometime, all fish ended up at the bottom pond. I thought to put wire

screen
and considered it was ugly. Any ideas folks?
Thank you for your attention.

YSL
Melbourne

G'day ! I had a similar problem and I simply added more rocks and
pebbles but placed them a little more strategically this time to allow a
good flow of water through the crevices but not big enough to allow fish
through .

Les.

Old 26-03-2003, 07:33 PM
~ jan

Not sure if my solution will help, but here goes.

I have a large flat rock that bridges where the water overflows to the
lower pond. I used the black web-like trays used to hold pony paks of
flowers and cut it to block the falls. Being black it can't be seen and
with the rock in place the upper edge of the grate rests on the rocks
bottom edge. This is bascially to hold it out a bit from the falls giving
more surface area, the fish have knocked the connection loose and it still
lodges in place as it's too big to pass thru the opening.

Grate is cut from the corner of the tray a bit wider than the opening of
the overflow, keeping one side and corner for integrity, I extend the
bottom of tray back into the top of the falls. Hope that makes sense.
~ jan

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 18:24:20 +1100, "YSL" wrote:

Hi all,

I have a question for you guys. How to stop fish travelling down the
cascade?
I have a 3 tier pond with goldfish. I initially put fish in all ponds and
put pebbles at the water outlet to stop fish travelling down. After
sometime, all fish ended up at the bottom pond. I thought to put wire screen
and considered it was ugly. Any ideas folks?
Thank you for your attention.

YSL
Melbourne

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 27-03-2003, 04:32 AM
YSL

Thank you guys for your input. YSL

"YSL" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have a question for you guys. How to stop fish travelling down the
cascade?
I have a 3 tier pond with goldfish. I initially put fish in all ponds and
put pebbles at the water outlet to stop fish travelling down. After
sometime, all fish ended up at the bottom pond. I thought to put wire

screen
and considered it was ugly. Any ideas folks?
Thank you for your attention.

YSL
Melbourne

The Benefits of Travelling With A Guide abeljamess Marketplace 0 27-05-2011 11:57 PM
for South Africa travelling gardeners herman & yvonne United Kingdom 0 05-02-2007 06:37 PM
[IBC] OT Home land security and travelling Kitsune Miko Bonsai 0 12-02-2004 11:25 PM
Travelling Frogs? Toad Ponds 3 20-12-2003 04:33 AM
[IBC] Cascade creation guidance Marc Zimmerman Bonsai 2 13-03-2003 02:45 PM