Old 22-12-2003, 03:02 PM
bk

Default Too cold in Miami??

I have a 1200 gallon pond in Miami Beach. I'm 1/2 block from the bay
and 3 blocks from the ocean with two canals in between. So one would
think that we're protected from much cold. Temps went into high 40's last
week for maybe two days. These lows were not long lived for these two
days as well. The sun still shines here, its only the breeze that gives you
a chill.

The point:
Since this cold front our fish are all cowered in one corner together. They
don't
seem to want to move more than 2'. Any ideas? I don't see any signs of
critters.

Old 22-12-2003, 05:03 PM
Ka30P

A couple thoughts...

When water temperature drops
fish slow down and hang out. You might want to
find a floating thermometer and
see what your temperature is.

I have a kingfisher that visits my
pond. He can come and go when I'm
gone and I won't see him, except for
the fish he drops. But the fish will
stay spooked for a time after his
visits. All the sign he leaves is a tiny
oil slick and a floating feather ;-)

ka30p
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 22-12-2003, 06:33 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I agree. In spring if the water warms up and then we get a cold front
dropping the water temps into the 50s, the fish will crowd together at the
bottom. Come fall as the water temps cool down slowly they won't do this
till the water temps is 45F or less. ~ jan

A couple thoughts...

When water temperature drops
fish slow down and hang out. You might want to
find a floating thermometer and
see what your temperature is.

I have a kingfisher that visits my
pond. He can come and go when I'm
gone and I won't see him, except for
the fish he drops. But the fish will
stay spooked for a time after his
visits. All the sign he leaves is a tiny
oil slick and a floating feather ;-)

ka30p
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 22-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Lee B.

I'm a little north of Tampa, and the same front hit us (first!). The water
temp dropped to 47.5*, then climbed "all the way back" to 51.6*, where it is
now. My fish did the same thing: they found the deepest spot and lined up,
rank and file, nose to tail and stayed put. They just don't like the cold,
that's all. When the water temp gets up a bit, they'll move around. Our
"Southern" koi just don't understand what their Northern brethren go
through, and they're a bit spoiled.

Happy Holidays!
Lee

ink.net...

Old 23-12-2003, 02:02 AM
John Lange

And I am a smarty sometimes so here goes. Waaaaaaa...
Temps got up to 42 today HEAT WAVE! Had a few days below zero last week.

John in Wisconsin

"Lee B." wrote in message
I'm a little north of Tampa, and the same front hit us (first!). The water
temp dropped to 47.5*, then climbed "all the way back" to 51.6*, where it

is
now. My fish did the same thing: they found the deepest spot and lined up,
rank and file, nose to tail and stayed put. They just don't like the cold,
that's all. When the water temp gets up a bit, they'll move around. Our
"Southern" koi just don't understand what their Northern brethren go
through, and they're a bit spoiled.

Happy Holidays!
Lee

ink.net...

Old 23-12-2003, 02:03 PM
Lee B.

It will be in the 70's all week (air temp), and the pond water temp got back
up to 55* yesterday and is still climbing. Now I know that sounds good to a
lot of you, but when the cold fronts move in, the temp drops alarmingly. We
can be pushing 80 one day and within 3 days have a hard freeze. Our poor
plants don't know whether to bloom or die! At least when your weather gets
cold, it STAYS that way - in the long run, it's easier on everything.

Happy Holidays!
Lee

"John Lange" wrote in
message t...

"Lee B." wrote in message
I'm a little north of Tampa, and the same front hit us (first!). The

water
temp dropped to 47.5*, then climbed "all the way back" to 51.6*, where

it
is
now. My fish did the same thing: they found the deepest spot and lined

up,
rank and file, nose to tail and stayed put. They just don't like the

cold,
that's all. When the water temp gets up a bit, they'll move around. Our
"Southern" koi just don't understand what their Northern brethren go
through, and they're a bit spoiled.

Happy Holidays!
Lee

ink.net...

Old 23-12-2003, 06:02 PM
Nedra

Here in the border state of Missouri the temps can drop from 60
down to 20 overnight. The koi do predict the onset of
colder weather in that
they will be lazily swimming around the surface and in a matter of hours
be hunched up on the bottom. It doesn't Stay cold here and I for
one am very glad.

Nedra

"Lee B." wrote in message
I'm a little north of Tampa, and the same front hit us (first!). The

water
temp dropped to 47.5*, then climbed "all the way back" to 51.6*, where

it
is
now. My fish did the same thing: they found the deepest spot and lined

up,
rank and file, nose to tail and stayed put. They just don't like the

cold,
that's all. When the water temp gets up a bit, they'll move around.

Our
"Southern" koi just don't understand what their Northern brethren go
through, and they're a bit spoiled.

Happy Holidays!
Lee

ink.net...

Old 24-12-2003, 03:42 AM
John Lange

I often find myself jealous of Floridians, and snow birds like my Dad who
flee Wisconsin in the middle of September and don't come home until Late
May.

JOhn :-)

"Lee B." wrote in message
I'm a little north of Tampa, and the same front hit us (first!). The

water
temp dropped to 47.5*, then climbed "all the way back" to 51.6*, where

it
is
now. My fish did the same thing: they found the deepest spot and lined

up,
rank and file, nose to tail and stayed put. They just don't like the

cold,
that's all. When the water temp gets up a bit, they'll move around.

Our
"Southern" koi just don't understand what their Northern brethren go
through, and they're a bit spoiled.

Happy Holidays!
Lee

ink.net...

Old 29-12-2003, 02:05 AM
john rutz

..

And I am a smarty sometimes so here goes. Waaaaaaa...
Temps got up to 42 today HEAT WAVE! Had a few days below zero last

week.

John in Wisconsin

..
and it warmed up to 32 hetre today supposed to be a heat wave in two
days and will get to 40

John Rutz

Old 29-12-2003, 04:04 AM
Janet

"john rutz" wrote in message
.

And I am a smarty sometimes so here goes. Waaaaaaa...
Temps got up to 42 today HEAT WAVE! Had a few days below zero last

week.

John in Wisconsin

.
and it warmed up to 32 hetre today supposed to be a heat wave in two
days and will get to 40

John Rutz

WooHoo! It got all the way up to 54 here today! The fishies were all up and
swimming! P
Janet in very sunny and warm Niagara Falls, Canada

Old 29-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Sue Walsh

"Lee B." wrote in message ...
It will be in the 70's all week (air temp), and the pond water temp got back
up to 55* yesterday and is still climbing. Happy Holidays!
Lee

Hi Lee,
Since this is my first winter with the pond Laura built me, I'm not
sure about feeding. I know not to feed with water temps 50* or lower,
but what about when we get weather like this and my pond has warmed to
58*, with a forecast of a good week ahead, do I feed them again? Or
just leave them alone. Remember I only have goldfish, not koi like
you. I haven't feed them since our first frost a few weeks ago. Have
a great New Years!

Sue W
Brooksville FL

See my pond "Rippling Water" at
http://community.webshot.com/user/aspenjd
Old 30-12-2003, 04:34 PM

feed them very small amounts when they are up at the surface and looking for food and
the temp is above 50o. Ingrid

(Sue Walsh) wrote:

"Lee B." wrote in message ...
It will be in the 70's all week (air temp), and the pond water temp got back
up to 55* yesterday and is still climbing. Happy Holidays!
Lee

Hi Lee,
Since this is my first winter with the pond Laura built me, I'm not
sure about feeding. I know not to feed with water temps 50* or lower,
but what about when we get weather like this and my pond has warmed to
58*, with a forecast of a good week ahead, do I feed them again? Or
just leave them alone. Remember I only have goldfish, not koi like
you. I haven't feed them since our first frost a few weeks ago. Have
a great New Years!

Sue W
Brooksville FL

See my pond "Rippling Water" at
http://community.webshot.com/user/aspenjd

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 30-12-2003, 05:02 PM
Lee B.

Yeh to what Ingrid said! My pond's back up to 60*; I feed them sparingly
once a day (they make me feel guilty o'wise!). When it's in the high 50's,
I feed them sparingly every other or third day. Below 55 or so, they're on
their own until the water temp rises again and looks like it will stay there
for a few days at least. Fish only have rudimentary "stomachs"; most of
their digestion takes place in their intestinal tract. When it's cold, it
doesn't work so good; if the food stays there long enough, it rots (which is
not good for the fish!). Make sure that it has enough time to work its way
out! If a cold front is due within 72 hours that will significantly impact
the water temp, I don't feed.

Have a safe and happy New Year!

Lee

"Sue Walsh" wrote in message
om...

Old 30-12-2003, 06:33 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I'd like to add, to think about what kind of bio-filtration you've got
going on before feeding. In FL or S.CA climates where your pond and filter
can/should run year around, probably no problem. ~ jan

On 30 Dec 2003 10:55:12 -0600, "Lee B." wrote:

Yeh to what Ingrid said! My pond's back up to 60*; I feed them sparingly
once a day (they make me feel guilty o'wise!). When it's in the high 50's,
I feed them sparingly every other or third day. Below 55 or so, they're on
their own until the water temp rises again and looks like it will stay there
for a few days at least. Fish only have rudimentary "stomachs"; most of
their digestion takes place in their intestinal tract. When it's cold, it
doesn't work so good; if the food stays there long enough, it rots (which is
not good for the fish!). Make sure that it has enough time to work its way
out! If a cold front is due within 72 hours that will significantly impact
the water temp, I don't feed.

Have a safe and happy New Year!

Lee

"Sue Walsh" wrote in message
. com...

.. .

Old 31-12-2003, 02:40 PM
Broomhilda

I'll sell you my place in Florida real cheap. Hate the place!! I'd much
rather spend the winters back home where it has been known to get 25 below
at times.

You like mildew, fire ants, humidity?

That's Florida.
"John Lange" wrote in
message t...

"Lee B." wrote in message
I'm a little north of Tampa, and the same front hit us (first!). The

water
temp dropped to 47.5*, then climbed "all the way back" to 51.6*,

where
it
is
now. My fish did the same thing: they found the deepest spot and

lined
up,
rank and file, nose to tail and stayed put. They just don't like the

cold,
that's all. When the water temp gets up a bit, they'll move around.

Our
"Southern" koi just don't understand what their Northern brethren go
through, and they're a bit spoiled.

Happy Holidays!
Lee

ink.net...