Old 19-01-2004, 01:20 AM
Registered User

Default New Pond Project

I would welcome any advice. I am building a pond for the first time, it is a large pond approx 60 feet by 30 feet and about 6 feet deep in the middle. It has been excavated and now I aim to put a layer of "Teram" geotextile (bit like weedblock fabric) followed by about 1 inch of sand and then I aim to put down "silage sheet", this is the plastic farmers use to line silage and slurry pits and comes in very large sizes. It is much cheaper than official pond liners. Then I intend to cover the sheet with another layer of geotextile and then sand with patches of gravel for cosmetic effect. It will be trickle filled via a small pump from a stream which comes off the mountains. Questions: anyone else used silage sheet? I'm pretty certain the sheet is UV stable but would welcome comments and any advice?
Old 21-01-2004, 03:13 AM
Ted

Matt,

I used EDPM from a place that manufactures it for usage around chemical and
fuel tanks. I had no problems with it. Do you know what the material you
are looking at is made of?

s.com...
--
matt wright

Old 22-01-2004, 10:52 AM
Registered User

Hi Ted, thanks very much for a reply, i was worried no-one would help. Unfortunately the supplier is an ordinary agricultural merchants and doesn't know what the sheet is made of! They are trying to get hold of the manufacturers but no luck so far. However I was told by a landscape architect that silage sheet is good as long as its UV stable. What I've got is black in colour and quite thick, say about 0.7mm. Its not shown any signs of cracking while its been stored for the last 8 months. I spoke to another bloke that supplies various linings for slurry pits and reservoirs and he said if its polypropelene it will be fine and even if its PVC it will be okay especially if its covered over with another layer. I think the butyl pond lining manufacturers don't want people to know there are other options. What is EDPM? How much did it cost and where did you get it?

Matt

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted

Old 22-01-2004, 05:04 PM

be careful about what you use. there are liners will kill the fish. if you get
liner rated for human drinking water it should be safe. but try roofing contractors
for the epdm instead. best might be to order some permalon.. is light weight.
http://puregold.aquaria.net/mypond/2000/p2000.htm
do a google search for it and order it online. Ingrid

matt wright wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com