Old 19-01-2004, 04:53 PM
Registered User

Question What is this Water Lilly species???

Hello all!!

I am in need of identification of a picture of a Water Lilly i have found.

I downloaded the new Webshots Screensaver, and one of the sample pictures was a file called Electric Water Lilly.

I have spent days trying to find this plant on the 'net, but alas cannot find this species anywhere .....

Take a look at it, please tell me it isn't a Photoshopped picture, because that will really dissapoint me.

http://bagpuss.swan.ac.uk/dunk300zx/...er%20Lilly.JPG

Many thanks in advance for your help, oh, and sorry if this post is in the wrong section, i am a total novice when it comes to plants.

Robert.
Old 20-01-2004, 12:12 AM
RichToyBox

Default What is this Water Lilly species???

Look at Tina, at the bottom of this page
http://www.ewaterlily.com/cgi-bin/sh... +DAY+BLOOMING
--
RichToyBox

"dunk300zxtt" wrote in message
s.com...
Hello all!!

I am in need of identification of a picture of a Water Lilly i have
found.

I downloaded the new Webshots Screensaver, and one of the sample
pictures was a file called Electric Water Lilly.

I have spent days trying to find this plant on the 'net, but alas
cannot find this species anywhere .....

Take a look at it, please tell me it isn't a Photoshopped picture,
because that will really dissapoint me.

[image:

[image: http://bagpuss.swan.ac.uk/dunk300zx/engine-v-6.gif]

Old 20-01-2004, 10:00 AM
Registered User

Many thanks for your reply, RichToyBox.

That Lilly 'Tina', has the most resemblance to the lilly I am looking for out of all the pictures I have found so far.

Are there any sites that have some kind of listing of all water lillies? I would happily browse through them trying to find a match.

Thanks in advance.

Robert.
Old 21-01-2004, 01:33 AM
RichToyBox

Use a search engine to look for tropical water lilies. Since it is a blue
or purple, it has to be tropical, since hardies do not come in those colors.

I looked up a few sources as follows:
http://www.aquariumplants.com/cgi-bin/cart/index.html
http://www.lilypons.com/cgi-bin/webc...html?p_catid=3
http://www.gardenponds.com/waterlilies.htm
http://www.tropicalpond.com/catalog....6f& Vl=1&Tp=2
http://www.floridaplants.com/Store/tropicallilies2.htm
http://williamtricker.safeshopper.com/1/cat1.htm?995

Old 22-01-2004, 05:02 AM
Tom La Bron

Robert,

Lily identification depends on a lot of variables. First of all, whether
it is Tropical or a Hard Lily. The another important identification feature
is tuber. The other id feature is leaf color and shape. Then comes the
flower. The other thing that you have to remember is that not all computer
monitors are created equal and color is not necessarily the same on mine as
it is yours. There are a number of people on this list who are good at lily
id, so hopefully, they can assist you. Goldfish are my prime interest and
my lilies offer only surface color and variety and I keep only hardys. Good
luck at figuring it out.

Personally, I would suspect that the lily is a tropical, because there are
very few blue hardy lilies, at least one with this intense blue as your
picture suggests.

Sorry that I can be of more help.

Tom L.L.

Old 28-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Registered User

Thanks for all the replies. I am still tracking it down. It is very elusive let me tell you.

I went onto Webshots.com (which is where i found it) and they have slightly more info on it.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Robert.
Old 18-02-2004, 12:02 AM
adavisus

Hi Robert,

Yes, it might well be Tina, though to be frank the photo probably does
not do full justice to that day blooming tropical waterlily. The photo
looks like the exposure is a bit underexposed and the colour balance
seems a bit wonky with the cyan balance a bit high on the rgb scale

The photo below is really really quite close to the real thang, note
Tina does have quite distinctive gold tones to the stamens...

Definitely a Tina photograph:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...60066570yGniii

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html