Old 19-01-2004, 10:11 PM
janet

Default LAWS ABOUT DIVERTING WATER

hi,
i have a two acre neighborhood pond partially fed by a spring that
flows into my pond. the pond is about 6 years old. my neighbor began
diverting the spring water away from the intake pipe to the pond. i
can't call the county today but was just wondering if anyone is aware
of laws of diverting water?
thanks!
janet
Old 19-01-2004, 11:23 PM
D Kat

If you have an intake pipe, are you not diverting water as well? I don't
know how it is with this administration (have the rescinded all
environmental protections yet?) but at one time you had to go through the
EPA if you even thought about such things. DKat

om...

Old 20-01-2004, 12:07 AM
RichToyBox

There are two different sets of water law. One East and the other West.
West the people staked a claim on a certain amount of water, first come
first served, and if you were second and the water level was low enough that
it did not fill firsts claim, the water could not be taken, even if it runs
through your property. East water law says you can dam it up, but you
cannot divert it. It still has to go down the same stream that it would
have gone down to start with. That law is routinely broken, in that cities
take water from the up stream area of the river, divert it through the water
treatment system, and it finds its way back into the stream at the sewage
treatment facility, down stream.

Is your neighbor diverting it around your pond, such that you don't get the
benefit of the water? If so, then I would say you have a claim. Were you
diverting it from its normal stream? If so, then you do not have a claim.
Is he just slowing down the flow, by using part of it, or creating his own
pond, but it finds itself back into the pond, through percolation, or once
his pond is full? Then you do not have a claim.

This is the way understand the water laws of the US, but my education on
these is almost 40 years old.
--
RichToyBox

Old 20-01-2004, 01:43 AM
janet

when the pond was dug the water flow wasn't diverted. the water leaves the
pond and travels the same path in the same amount as it always has.

et...

Old 20-01-2004, 01:44 AM
janet

the neighbor would be diverting it (for a pond i am assuming he intends to
dig) and the level of our pond level would drop. it's not so much a
stream but a spring that flows from his property into ours.

Old 20-01-2004, 04:08 AM
D Kat

My understanding of the issue is that your neighbor cannot stop the flow of
water that is currently going into your property. We lived on wetlands and
could not do any development that would prevent the natural flow of the
water.

I also think that out west they were being sued by Mexico on this issue... I
don't know what happened there....

DK

link.net...

Old 20-01-2004, 09:33 PM
Sam Hopkins

You really need to talk to a lawyer unfortunately. I'd call your department
of conservation first so so you can arm the lawyer with info and not have to
pay for it. Water laws are different all over the place.

Old 20-01-2004, 10:24 PM
joe

Have you spoken to your neighbor about his intentions yet? Maybe it's just
temporary. You hate to start a fight over something that may be quite
innocent or a simple misunderstanding.

Joe
Recalling his two neighbors and the three year, two attorney standoff over
branches over the fence.

Old 20-01-2004, 10:24 PM
joe

On 1/19/04 1:39 PM, "janet" wrote:

i have a two acre neighborhood pond partially fed by a spring that
flows into my pond. the pond is about 6 years old. my neighbor began
diverting the spring water away from the intake pipe to the pond. i
can't call the county today but was just wondering if anyone is aware
of laws of diverting water?

Gardeners critical over slug protection laws HOORAH Nick Maclaren United Kingdom 15 16-07-2004 03:14 AM
LAWS ABOUT DIVERTING WATER janet Ponds 0 19-01-2004 10:01 PM
OT. new antispam laws in the US Bob Hobden United Kingdom 91 03-12-2003 12:32 PM
Monsanto Uses Canadian Taxpayer Money to Violate Foreign Laws Case highlights need for strong Biosaf Tom Jaszewski Gardening 0 02-09-2003 05:02 AM
Messy laws Starlord Gardening 5 26-04-2003 01:20 PM