Old 14-07-2004, 12:13 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Gardeners critical over slug protection laws HOORAH

Gardeners critical over slug protection laws
By Fiona Govan
(Filed: 11/07/2004)
http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...11/nslug11.xml
A new animal welfare law that will offer slugs and snails the same
protection as cats and dogs was condemned by gardeners yesterday.

Legislation to be announced by the Government this week will give
courts the power to impose fines of up to £20,000 and 12 months in
jail on people found guilty of mistreating animals. Anyone under the
age of 16 will be banned from owning a pet and goldfish will no longer
be allowed to be given as prizes at fairgrounds.

The legislation could lead to gardeners being fined for killing
insects, worms, caterpillars, slugs and snails, if scientific evidence
proves they have suffered pain and distress. Ministers say the law,
which updates existing legislation, is needed to protect animals from
abuse. Horticulturalists rejected the idea that they could be guilty
of cruelty.

Bunny Guinness, The Telegraph gardening columnist and six-times winner
of the gold medal at the Chelsea Flower Show, said gardeners should
not be liable to fines for protecting their gardens. "Hundreds of
slugs and snails are being slaughtered in gardens up and down the
country. It would be quite ridiculous to call that cruelty. Almost all
gardeners use slug pellets or salt to keep the pests at bay," she
said.

John Cushnie, a regular panellist on Radio 4's Gardeners' Question
Time, said some aspects of the legislation were nonsensical. "To give
worms and slugs protection under the law is ludicrous. If I have an
infestation of slugs or snails or cabbage white butterflies then I
will get rid of them in whatever way I choose. No one is going to tell
me that the things are suffering. If I want to boil them alive, stamp
on them or treat them to a slow drawn-out death by poison then I will
- and would like to see the Government that would try to interfere
with a man and his garden."

The draft Bill, which updates the Protection of Animals Act 1911, will
be published next week by Ben Bradshaw, the minister for animal
welfare. The penalties for cruelty would double the present maximum
jail sentence and substantially increase the £5,000 maximum fine.
Anyone owning a pet, farm or exotic animal would have a statutory duty
of care towards it and could have it taken away. They could also be
banned from looking after another. Unborn animals will receive the
same protection.

RSPCA inspectors would gain the right to enter without a warrant any
lorry, ferry, plane or hovercraft carrying animals. This has been
included because of the growing awareness of the suffering of
livestock on long journeys.

Inspectors entering a private home without a warrant would need to be
accompanied by police.

The crackdown follows pressure from the RSPCA and organisations such
as the Kennel Club, but has been criticised for not going far enough.
The draft contains no reference to circus animals and fails to ban
tail docking.

The RSPCA welcomed the Bill but said it would continue to campaign for
stricter protection. "This would be the single most important piece of
welfare legislation affecting animals since 1911," a spokesman said.

The Countryside Alliance expressed concern that the law would be
interpreted for animals used for sport or recreation. Even though the
changes are not intended to affect hunting, shooting or fishing, the
alliance fears animal rights campaigners could attempt to use them in
relation to dogs in hunt kennels, racehorses in stables and pheasants
reared for game shoots. A spokesman said: "The law could be taken too
literally. If people can be prosecuted for causing their pets
psychological distress then a man could be arrested for having a
depressed dog."

28 May 2004: Even chickens get a better life under new animal
laws
http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...8/wanima28.xml

23 May 2004: Who killed Cock Robin? Actually, it was a garden
centre conspiracy
http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...23/nbird23.xml

© Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2004. Terms & Conditions of
reading.
Commercial information. Privacy and Cookie Policy.
Old 14-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Fenris Wolf

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
The RSPCA welcomed the Bill but said it would continue to campaign for
stricter protection. "This would be the single most important piece of
welfare legislation affecting animals since 1911," a spokesman said.

The fight against it has already begun.

There will be links to a page explaining what you can do to help added
to the sites in my sig. later on tonight.

--
Fenris Wolf

RSPCA-Animadversion

http://cheetah.webtribe.net/~animadversion/

SHG

http://cheetah.webtribe.net/~shg/
Old 14-07-2004, 12:27 PM
Jimbo

I just switched to the cups of beer method. Most of my slugs have so much
fun at the "****up" that they go for a swim. Maybe I will add the funeral
march to the music provided.

Old 14-07-2004, 12:29 PM
martin sage

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
Gardeners critical over slug protection laws
By Fiona Govan
(Filed: 11/07/2004)
http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...11/nslug11.xml
A new animal welfare law that will offer slugs and snails the same
protection as cats and dogs was condemned by gardeners yesterday.

This is only the start. It will also be illegal to pull up weeds that
are food plants for caterpillars or greenfly. The only solution for
councils who run municipal gardens will be to concrete them over.
--
martin sage
Old 14-07-2004, 01:38 PM

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 08:23:54 +0100, martin sage
wrote:

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
Gardeners critical over slug protection laws
By Fiona Govan
(Filed: 11/07/2004)
http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...11/nslug11.xml
A new animal welfare law that will offer slugs and snails the same
protection as cats and dogs was condemned by gardeners yesterday.

This is only the start. It will also be illegal to pull up weeds that
are food plants for caterpillars or greenfly. The only solution for
councils who run municipal gardens will be to concrete them over.

This rubbish has made the Dutch national press, oh how they larfed.
--
Martin

Old 14-07-2004, 01:38 PM
Peter James

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:29:11 +0000, Jimbo wrote:

I just switched to the cups of beer method. Most of my slugs have so
much fun at the "****up" that they go for a swim. Maybe I will add the
funeral march to the music provided.

Good thinking. And maybe followed by a Viking type Funeral, with more
beer and a great ****-up to the memory of the departed. Sounds like fun,
how about Saturday night? Your place or mine?
Old 14-07-2004, 01:38 PM
Melanie

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...7/11/nslug11.x

ml
A new animal welfare law that will offer slugs and snails the same
protection as cats and dogs was condemned by gardeners yesterday.

This is only the start. It will also be illegal to pull up weeds that
are food plants for caterpillars or greenfly. The only solution for
councils who run municipal gardens will be to concrete them over.

No they won't be able to concrete them over because then they'd be crushing
thousands of spiders, insects, worms and slugs, thereby causing them pain
and distress. We won't be able to walk out outside because we might step on
an ant and cause it immense suffering. And sometimes when we breathe in a
spider or a fly, well ........

Old 14-07-2004, 01:38 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
writes:
| On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 08:23:54 +0100, martin sage
| wrote:

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...11/nslug11.xml
| A new animal welfare law that will offer slugs and snails the same
| protection as cats and dogs was condemned by gardeners yesterday.
|
| This is only the start. It will also be illegal to pull up weeds that
| are food plants for caterpillars or greenfly. The only solution for
| councils who run municipal gardens will be to concrete them over.
|
| This rubbish has made the Dutch national press, oh how they larfed.

Quite.

Once upon a time, the Daily Torygraph was the mouthpiece of the
establishment Right, but was at least a vaguely respectable
newspaper. It seems to have been renamed the Daily Trollograph
and become the mouthpiece of the less intelligent wing of the
Little Englanders.

I am not at all surprised that Pete the Troll reads it - as all
you humans will know, that crude forgery didn't emanate from me.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-07-2004, 06:09 AM

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:02:27 +0100, Peter James
wrote:

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:29:11 +0000, Jimbo wrote:

I just switched to the cups of beer method. Most of my slugs have so
much fun at the "****up" that they go for a swim. Maybe I will add the
funeral march to the music provided.

Good thinking. And maybe followed by a Viking type Funeral, with more
beer and a great ****-up to the memory of the departed. Sounds like fun,
how about Saturday night? Your place or mine?

Use Heineken and make them die an excruciatingly painful death.
--
Martin
Old 15-07-2004, 01:09 PM

On 14 Jul 2004 10:17:33 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
writes:
| On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 08:23:54 +0100, martin sage
| wrote:

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...11/nslug11.xml
| A new animal welfare law that will offer slugs and snails the same
| protection as cats and dogs was condemned by gardeners yesterday.
|
| This is only the start. It will also be illegal to pull up weeds that
| are food plants for caterpillars or greenfly. The only solution for
| councils who run municipal gardens will be to concrete them over.
|
| This rubbish has made the Dutch national press, oh how they larfed.

Quite.

Once upon a time, the Daily Torygraph was the mouthpiece of the
establishment Right, but was at least a vaguely respectable
newspaper. It seems to have been renamed the Daily Trollograph
and become the mouthpiece of the less intelligent wing of the
Little Englanders.

I am not at all surprised that Pete the Troll reads it

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he edits it, now that he has
been sacked by the Sun. :-)

- as all
you humans will know, that crude forgery didn't emanate from me.

and the not one about infrared too? :-)
and was that the real Franz, who tried to put you right or another
forger?
ducks and runs
--
Martin

Old 15-07-2004, 01:22 PM
Clair Voyance

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 08:23:54 +0100, martin sage
wrote:

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
Gardeners critical over slug protection laws
By Fiona Govan
(Filed: 11/07/2004)
http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...11/nslug11.xml
A new animal welfare law that will offer slugs and snails the same
protection as cats and dogs was condemned by gardeners yesterday.

This is only the start. It will also be illegal to pull up weeds that
are food plants for caterpillars or greenfly. The only solution for
councils who run municipal gardens will be to concrete them over.

Dont be a silly billy.
Old 15-07-2004, 01:23 PM
Clair Voyance

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:29:11 +0000 (UTC), "Jimbo"
(remove $ ) wrote:

I just switched to the cups of beer method. Most of my slugs have so much
fun at the "****up" that they go for a swim. Maybe I will add the funeral
march to the music provided.

Interesting to see these people dont just want to abuse and kill, they
want to get pleasure from it! Sicko.
Old 15-07-2004, 01:33 PM
Fenris Wolf

In article , Fenris Wolf
writes
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
The RSPCA welcomed the Bill but said it would continue to campaign for
stricter protection. "This would be the single most important piece of
welfare legislation affecting animals since 1911," a spokesman said.

The fight against it has already begun.

There will be links to a page explaining what you can do to help added
to the sites in my sig. later on tonight.

Campaign for Change in the RSPCA

http://cheetah.webtribe.net/~campaig...m#Commentaries

Make sure you take a look at the case histories.

Old 15-07-2004, 01:35 PM
Clair Voyance

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 19:56:42 +0100, Fenris Wolf
wrote:

In article , Fenris Wolf
writes
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
The RSPCA welcomed the Bill but said it would continue to campaign for
stricter protection. "This would be the single most important piece of
welfare legislation affecting animals since 1911," a spokesman said.

The fight against it has already begun.

There will be links to a page explaining what you can do to help added
to the sites in my sig. later on tonight.

Campaign for Change in the RSPCA

http://cheetah.webtribe.net/~campaig...m#Commentaries

Make sure you take a look at the case histories.

Interesting stuff and shows why we should not subject animals to
captivity anyway.
Old 15-07-2004, 01:42 PM
Chris Doran

Nick Maclaren wrote in message . ..
Anyone owning a pet, farm or exotic animal would have a statutory duty
of care towards it and could have it taken away.

So if I illtreat the slugs I "own", a government inspector will come
along and remove them. Sounds good to me. Just off to the police
station to confess.

They could also be
banned from looking after another.

Excellent. How soon does this legislation come into force?

Chris