Old 09-02-2004, 05:47 AM
Charles

Default Aquatic Plant Soil

Something I hadn't seen before. Packaged by Schultz, sold by Home
Depot.

I live on a small city lot, can't just dig a hole in the lawn when I
need some dirt to plant in, so this looks like a good thing for me.

the bag says it is 100%arcillite, won't float, won't clog pumps, is pH
neutral, all the good things.

--

- Charles
-
Old 09-02-2004, 04:35 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I've never seen this stuff, but I suppose if you can't dig in your own yard
it would be okay. I'd only use it on water lilies and buy river rock for
marginals. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 10-02-2004, 04:32 AM
Tom La Bron

Charles,

One of the older ladies in our local pond club used the aquatic potting soil
and loved it. It worked great for her.

Tom L.L.
-------------------------

Old 10-02-2004, 05:12 AM
Nedra

I have seen Aquatic Plant Soil at Home Depot but have never used it.
Someone on this group used it and liked it. Can't
remember the name of the person though

Sounds ideal for your purposes!

Nedra

Old 12-02-2004, 01:10 AM
Kevin Cutlip

Its ceramic beads that "NASA" uses...Woooweeee! Don't use it..It will
destroy a pump...
I put about a tsp through a new pump on purpose at my weekly pond
class....Gone, and baby I mean gone!...
Oh yea, I work for HD, and I get to play with the goodies....Use clay kitty
litter or just plain clay..Works like a champ....I also own an aquatic
garden business (7 yrs now) so yes , I have an interest in what the big
orange box sells in the pond area...

Old 12-02-2004, 02:12 AM
Tom La Bron

Kevin,

That is interesting to know, but for me it is the price. LOWES sells it for
$6.93 for ten pounds. I saw some it today and it doesn't look much
different that they stuff I put down for soaking up the oil on my concrete
after I change oil in my vehicle except that is a pink color instead of a
greyish color.

I guess I will just go back to the digging up clay that is in my yard to put
my lilies in.

Tom L.L.

Old 12-02-2004, 10:12 AM
Happy'Cam'per

Tom

I completely agree with you, buying soil 'designed' for aquatic gardening is
just plain rude. Amazing what some marketing can do hey? To the original
poster, look for a spot in your area that has sand/soil that is red in
colour, this soil IME is cool for water gardening. Take us much as you need
and let it soak in a tub full of water for a few weeks, do regular water
changes (once a week, more if you like) just to get rid of the nasties. This
kind of soil is rich in iron and other nutrients and will do the plants
wonderfully. Try it
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old 12-02-2004, 11:26 PM
Kevin Cutlip

Thaats why I enjoy working part time at the big orange home store. If I am
teaching a class and I show people what can happen by destroying a $98.00
pump right out of the box, kinda makes it more believable to not believe
what you read on a bag of "NASA" blah-blah-blah....I know exactly what
product you are speaking of...And I didn't want it in the store from past
experience, but I lost the argument....After my way cool demo on the pump in
class, and a rash of returned pumps, most of which the customers said yes
when asked if they were using this product, its not on the shelf
now..Especially since some threatened to go to the "Big Blue" home
store..You can't make a customer understand that "Oh, sorry your waterfall
pump crapped out on you 23 days after you got it, and why should I care if
it's 94 deg outside for the 8th day, and your koi are floating?" That just
about tears it with some Koi people...Black Kat Kitty Litter at Food Lion,
25lbs for $4.68....100% diatamatious clay. (or pool filter clay is cheap
also, in the pool chem aisle)
The stuff you use to clean up your oil has silicone in it also...Don't use
that.............................Most oil dry products do...Check
www.epa.gov to find out....

Old 12-02-2004, 11:27 PM
Hal

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:09:28 -0600, "Tom La Bron"
wrote:

I guess I will just go back to the digging up clay that is in my yard to put
my lilies in.

I would! I like garden soil covered with stones big enough the koi
can't take out of the container and drop on the drain.

The fish like garden soil without stones. Try that when you feel like
cleaning the pond.

Regards,

Hal

Old 13-02-2004, 01:25 AM
Tom La Bron

I have Kevin, I live in the boondocks and all we get here is clay, with no
additives. We don't need any of that fancy stuff to raise the price.

Tom L.L.
---------------------------------

Old 15-02-2004, 08:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

25lbs for $4.68....100% diatamatious clay. (or pool filter clay is cheap
also, in the pool chem aisle)

Not meaning to be persnickety, but diatomaceous earth is not clay. It's
actually little sea creatures, diatoms to be more exact. Not stuff to be
mixing with water and planting plants in, since breathing in the powdered
form can be harzardous to one's lung/health. ~ jan

Cat Litter / Aquatic Soil David Sim Ponds 5 22-08-2005 02:00 AM
aquatic plant soil Emerald Gardening 0 20-04-2005 12:31 PM
Aquatic Plant Stimulant? Safe for Fish? NJ Ponds 3 24-07-2003 04:02 PM
Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil Daniel C. Smith Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:17 AM
aquatic plant swaps wishlists :) adavisus Ponds 0 14-03-2003 08:10 AM