Old 20-08-2005, 05:46 PM
David Sim

Default Cat Litter / Aquatic Soil

Hi

Cat Litter makes good Aquatic Soil ?

Pretty sure I've read about this before here, but memory fails me when it
comes to details. I'm assuming no perfumed or chemically treated stuff
(obviously) but can anyone tell me what else to look out for? I'm in the UK
so non UK brands won't mean anything to me I'm afraid.

Also what about home-made pots / planting baskets etc.. all tips gratefully
received

Cheers all

David

Old 20-08-2005, 10:06 PM
Paul in Redland

I plant all my plants in what we in the states call pea gravel, small stones
about 1/4" round or so. Works fine, fish don't mess with it and it holds the
plants well. If you insist on cat litter try to get some that is dust free
( yeah, right) and contains no perfumes or clumping agents. Try pea gravel
though, you won't be disappointed.

Paul

Old 21-08-2005, 01:19 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Also what about home-made pots / planting baskets etc.. all tips gratefully
received
David

I use plastic baskets approximately 12" X 18" X 6" deep that I pick up at
the Dollar stores. Do they have similar stores in the UK? The Pound store,
perhaps? ;o)

I then line them with weed fabric (the cheap stuff with no root inhibitors
added). Fill with my sandy soil mixed with water, of the consistency to
make well shaped mud pies. Add plant, use strips, so the plant is free to
grow, of the weed fabric on top and 1-2" size round rock on top of that.
The weed fabric keeps the rocks from sinking into the mud, plus keeps it
from bubbling up when you put plant in pond. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 21-08-2005, 05:44 AM
Bill O'Meally

David Sim wrote:
Hi

Cat Litter makes good Aquatic Soil ?

Pretty sure I've read about this before here, but memory fails me
when it comes to details. I'm assuming no perfumed or chemically
treated stuff (obviously) but can anyone tell me what else to look
out for? I'm in the UK so non UK brands won't mean anything to me I'm
afraid.

I buy it in bulk at my local pet supply store. They have both the
clumping type (don't use) and the regular clay (use).

--
Bill

"Wise fool"
Gandalf, THE TWO TOWERS
-- The Wise will remove 'se' to reply; the Foolish will not--

Old 21-08-2005, 09:37 PM
Reel Mckoi

"David Sim" wrote in message
Hi

Cat Litter makes good Aquatic Soil ?

Pretty sure I've read about this before here, but memory fails me when it
comes to details. I'm assuming no perfumed or chemically treated stuff
(obviously) but can anyone tell me what else to look out for? I'm in the
UK so non UK brands won't mean anything to me I'm afraid.

## I don't use cat litter. Our pond plants do best in a heavy garden clay
covered with up to 2" of gravel.

Also what about home-made pots / planting baskets etc.. all tips
gratefully received

## Any cheap pot with drainage holes will work.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 22-08-2005, 02:00 AM
Tom Puskar

I use a mix of about 35% kitty litter and 65% back yard dirt. Cover with an
inch of pea gravel. I used to buy aquatic soil but it got to be a bother
and expense. Seems to work well and all my plants are thriving.

Tom in Howell, NJ

"David Sim" wrote in message
Hi

Cat Litter makes good Aquatic Soil ?

Pretty sure I've read about this before here, but memory fails me when it
comes to details. I'm assuming no perfumed or chemically treated stuff
(obviously) but can anyone tell me what else to look out for? I'm in the
UK so non UK brands won't mean anything to me I'm afraid.

Also what about home-made pots / planting baskets etc.. all tips
gratefully received

Cheers all

David

Composting cat Litter Rupert United Kingdom 4 15-11-2004 05:43 PM
Cat litter mandy armit Gardening 13 05-10-2003 08:32 PM
composting cat litter Chris Owens Gardening 0 16-09-2003 01:32 PM
Clean Plants ? Aquatic plants 'litter' habits :) adavisus Ponds 0 17-04-2003 07:08 AM
Cat Litter (can it be used on my flower beds) Tony Gent United Kingdom 17 03-04-2003 07:56 PM