Old 11-02-2004, 09:45 PM
Nick

Default Are fountains a good idea ?

I have a largish green pond. I know it needs more oxygen. The pond is quite
large and only has 5 small gold fish in it which seem quite happy and
active. Would they benefit from a fountain or would the noise disturb them ?

Nick

Old 11-02-2004, 11:12 PM
Snooze

"Nick" wrote in message
I have a largish green pond. I know it needs more oxygen. The pond is

quite
large and only has 5 small gold fish in it which seem quite happy and
active. Would they benefit from a fountain or would the noise disturb them

?

Nick

At first they'll be bothered by the noise, because it's something they're
not used to, but after that they're just dandy. You didn't say how large the
pond is. The fountain doesn't have to be a big jet of water into the air,
even a small pump that brings water from bottom of the pond to the surface,
helps circulate the water. Even an airpump will do, if the pond is small
enough.

A fountain won't solve the green water, if that's what you're hoping. Add
aquatic plants to eat up the nutrients, before the algae does, that helps
keep the suspended algae level down to acceptable levels.

Sameer

Old 12-02-2004, 12:34 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Fountains can be fun for the ponder. The fish will see it as a form of
waterfall and become used to it. They may even play in the oxygenated
water.

How do you know that your pond needs more oxygen?

Circulation and aeration are always nice. It sounds,however, as though you
may have plenty of surface area per fish...altho' it we don't know how large
large is. Lots of formulae circulate for fish-to-gallon ratios. How many
gallons and how much surface area do you have?

Jim
Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 12-02-2004, 11:26 PM
Anne Lurie

In my teeny little water garden, I have one of the Little Giant pumps with
the "bell" fountain head. My goldfish seem to be attracted to the rushing
water (you should see them follow the hose around when I do water changes or
top off the pond!)

So far this winter, the fish hang out between the pond filters (the only
"structure" in the pond at the moment).

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC