Old 20-02-2004, 05:42 AM
Judi9000

Default Help Again Please-You Guys Are Awesome!

At the end of last summer I bought some baby koi out of the feeder tanks at Pet
Smart. Along with the koi came lots of parasites(ich, anchor worms, etc.). I
brought the fish inside for about 3 wks. until it looked like the parasites
were gone. They were fine all winter until last week when the temperatures
rose. (I'm in Bakersfield, CA). Anyway, there are already new signs of ich!
Since I've been reading posts on this site regarding salt, the use of salt and
parasites, I'm not really sure what to do now. Do I use meds with salt? Will
salt really kill ich? Should I start treating now or wait until it's warmer?
Should I net the fish with spots and give them salt dips? Thanks for your help.
Judi

FYI-When I told the manager at Pet Smart what happened she GAVE me over a
hundred dollars in medication, loaned me a hundred gal tank, and gave me a
hundred dollar gift card to replace the dead guys! I'm sure now that it doesn't
hurt to ask. I've also learned a hard lesson!
Old 20-02-2004, 05:42 AM
Judi9000

How do I test the salt levels in my ponds?
Old 21-02-2004, 01:28 AM
RichToyBox

Look at this link if it comes through
http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/...am e=Diseases
or go to www.koivetlcom and look for the article titled "Infectious Diseases
of Goldfish and Koi "
Because of the life cycle of the ich, it must leave the fish to divide and
it can only be killed while away from the fish. Since different infections
will dislodge from the fish at different times, and due to the length of the
life cycle, I think salt is the only cure.
--
RichToyBox

Old 21-02-2004, 05:02 AM
Judi9000

here's the nuts and bolts of Salting Ich..
1. Remove valued live plants.
2. Raise temperature to 80 degrees, tops.
3. Increase aeration!
4. Add one teaspoon of salt per gallon.
5. Twelve hours later, add another one teaspoon of salt per gallon.
6. Twelve hours later, add another one teaspoon of salt per gallon.
7. Within 48-60 hours of the second salt dose at 80 degrees, the Ich
will be gone.
8. Leave salt in the water for another 3-5 days unless you're worried
about your live plants.
9. Remove salt via partial waterchanges. (30-40% at a time if desired).

Look at this link if it comes through

http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/...ticle_id=94&ca

tegory=17&name=Diseases

Thank you! This helped a bunch!

Old 21-02-2004, 07:42 AM

http://puregold.aquaria.net/pg/disea...byname.htm#ich
dont use formalin or quick cure in cold temps. dont combine formalin and salt and
heat, is very toxic to deadly for fish. If you can bring the temp up, then use QC
for 3 days with water changes that will do it.
Ingrid

(Judi9000) wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:14 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Judi,

Ich doesn't present on koi like goldfish usually. On goldfish it will look
like grains of salt, but koi don't aways show this. If the white spots are
bigger than a grain, you've got something else going on. The safest thing
you can treat with is salt, regardless, get it up to 0.3%. You need to be
watching your water chemistry. I highly suggest you use that gift
certificate on test kits as others have suggested. I know we've already
covered how to add & use the salt in other threads for you.

If indeed you need other medications, there are better ones out there that
don't kill the bio-filter, that PetsMart doesn't carry. ~ jan

On 20 Feb 2004 05:38:14 GMT, (Judi9000) wrote:

[...]

~ jan

Old 01-03-2004, 11:33 PM

on koi it looks like a bad red rash and their fins are clamped. salt may work, but
the only other way to treat this right now unless you can bring em inside. PP can
work on other stuff outside in the pond. I see some oodinium on my koi, but it
disappears quickly when the temp got up to 55oF.
what is the temp of your pond water? ingrid

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List