Old 26-02-2004, 03:41 AM
Wayne

Default Palm Tree Question

"Wayne" wrote in message
. com...

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
. com...
Plant Delights http://www.plantdelights.com/ lists a few Palmettos in

the
online catalog.

However, as another res-ponder mentioned, the roots could be a problem,
unless you contained the tree -- which might take some doing.

I almost think that I saw a dwarf palmetto of some sort around here in

the
Raleigh area, but I can't remember where. It must have survived the
winters, though, or there wouldn't be much to remember!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"Wayne" wrote in message
news
Does anyone know of a palm tree that will survive the winters in Zone

7A,
North Carolina. I'd like to plant one or two next to my pond in my

back
yard. Thanks!

I have a pre-formed, 220 gallon, so I'm not sure if the roots would
penetrate it. However, I'm probably going to do, like many of you have
probably done, add another pond section. I will probably use my pre-form

as
a pre-filter for the bigger pond that will be with a liner. I don't want

plant a bad feature for my potential future pond. I have even thought of
outlining a potential palm tree with concrete, sunk 18-24 inches in the
ground around it. Any thoughts on this idea?

I forgot to thank you, Anne! Thank you!

Old 26-02-2004, 09:32 AM
how

Hi,
Terry mentions the Windmill (Trachycarpus fortunei) which should do ok as
should the palmettos (Sabel palmetto, S.minor). Two other small cold hardy
true palms to try are the European fan palm (Chamaerops humilis) which may
need some protection and the Needle palm (Rhapidophyllm hystrix) which is
slow growing and can take very cold weather.
hth -_- how
"Terry" wrote in message
om...
Hi Wayne,
THe palms that immediately come to mind are the Windmill Palm and the
Dwarf Palmetto Palm.
snip

Old 27-02-2004, 05:32 AM
Wayne

Thanks for replying. I have enough information now to start seriously
trying to locate a small palm or two. I'll post back with any results.

. ..

Old 27-02-2004, 07:14 PM
joe

dicksonia antarctica isn't a palm, it's a tree fern (Tasmanian tree fern).
If you want something similar that grows faster try an Australian tree fern.
Note that these also have different light and water requirements than most
palms.

Joe On 2/23/04 6:57 PM, "Wayne" wrote:

I looked up the Dicksonia Antartica and I've never seen any of those. They
should survive well, as witnessed by yours in Va. Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-03-2004, 01:05 AM
Wayne

Anne, I'm in the Charlotte metro area so we're not too far apart. My
daughter graduated from UNC - Chapel Hill so I am familiar with the general
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area. So many of you have come forward with
such great replies and I really do appreciate it. Thanks for pointing me in
a direction that I can check out within a short driving distance. Happy
ponding and I hope that you guys didn't get too much snow. We got 15 - 18
reported inches here and I measured 17 inches at my place on the patio.
Thanks again.

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
. com...
Wayne,

I'm not sure where in NC you are, but I saw an ad in the 2/28/04 Raleigh
"News & Observer" for Cooper-Payne Tree Farms in Hillsborough
www.cooper-paynetreefarms.com 919-801-0211.

The ad says they have 6-25 foot hardy palms including Windmills, Pindos,
European Fans, Needles, etc.

Also, if you are in the Triangle area, they will be at the Home/Garden

Show
at the Raleigh Convention Center March 5-7th.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"Wayne" wrote in message
. com...
Thanks for replying. I have enough information now to start seriously
trying to locate a small palm or two. I'll post back with any results.

. ..

Old 01-03-2004, 01:09 AM
Wayne

Hank, the palm that you mention below sounds to be about the right size and
durability for my location. Thanks for your input and I will post back to
the group with what I finally decide on.

"Hank" wrote in message
Wayne, I had a Spanish Dagger (Yucca Gloriosa) that looked very much
like small palm tree. It survived several New Jersey winters. (It did
not survive my backing my trailer over it in a snow storm) A small
tree like this may give you the oasis look you seem to want. I have
seen them available in both home and garden centers sold as potted
plants. Hank

"Wayne" wrote in message
. com...

"Wayne" wrote in message