Old 22-02-2004, 11:36 PM
Wayne

Default Palm Tree Question

Does anyone know of a palm tree that will survive the winters in Zone 7A,
North Carolina. I'd like to plant one or two next to my pond in my back
yard. Thanks!

Old 23-02-2004, 03:42 AM
Mike Patterson

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 23:14:29 GMT, "Wayne" wrote:

Does anyone know of a palm tree that will survive the winters in Zone 7A,
North Carolina. I'd like to plant one or two next to my pond in my back
yard. Thanks!

I have a friend here in 7b (I think) that had 2 palm trees for several
years, every fall he'd wrap them in plastic and stack hay bales around
them. Then last year he got lazy and they died.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

Old 24-02-2004, 04:05 AM
Wayne

"Mike Patterson" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 23:14:29 GMT, "Wayne" wrote:

Does anyone know of a palm tree that will survive the winters in Zone 7A,
North Carolina. I'd like to plant one or two next to my pond in my back
yard. Thanks!

I have a friend here in 7b (I think) that had 2 palm trees for several
years, every fall he'd wrap them in plastic and stack hay bales around
them. Then last year he got lazy and they died.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

At the entrance of a development 3-4 miles from my house, They have two tall
(probably 25 - 35 feet) palm trees that have lived through at least 3-4
winters. They look just like the palms you see at the beaches in Florida
but needless to say, they are some special kind for our winters here in NC.
If I can find out who planted them and what kind they are, I'll post back to
the group. They are beautiful and the tops stay green year-round. Thanks
for your reply.

Old 24-02-2004, 04:06 AM
Wayne

I looked up the Dicksonia Antartica and I've never seen any of those. They
should survive well, as witnessed by yours in Va. Thanks for sharing.

Old 24-02-2004, 04:44 AM
Terry

Hi Wayne,
THe palms that immediately come to mind are the Windmill Palm and the
Dwarf Palmetto Palm. Both have been grow in Zone 7 and the Windmill
Palm will "sometimes" survive in Zone 6 (needs to be in a
microclimate). The one proviso here is that they will not achieve the
heights that they would in a more southern climate, but they will
survive, and they will look great next to your pond.
Terry

Old 24-02-2004, 05:35 PM
stricks760

Maybe not a North Caroline species, but absolutely avoid a Queen Palm in
close proximity to your pond. Roots will grow through the liner like it's
not even there. Only solution is concrete (or some distance) between the
palm and the liner.

news

Old 24-02-2004, 06:14 PM
Wayne

Good point... I hadn't even thought of that. I was going to plant it, once
I find one that will live, on the border of the pond. That defeats my
purpose for having the palm. I wanted to give the pond that tropical look.
Thanks for replying.

"stricks760" wrote in message
ink.net...
Maybe not a North Caroline species, but absolutely avoid a Queen Palm in
close proximity to your pond. Roots will grow through the liner like it's
not even there. Only solution is concrete (or some distance) between the
palm and the liner.

news

Old 25-02-2004, 11:09 PM
Anne Lurie

Plant Delights http://www.plantdelights.com/ lists a few Palmettos in the
online catalog.

However, as another res-ponder mentioned, the roots could be a problem,
unless you contained the tree -- which might take some doing.

I almost think that I saw a dwarf palmetto of some sort around here in the
Raleigh area, but I can't remember where. It must have survived the
winters, though, or there wouldn't be much to remember!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

news

Old 26-02-2004, 02:26 AM
Wayne

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
. com...
Plant Delights http://www.plantdelights.com/ lists a few Palmettos in the
online catalog.

However, as another res-ponder mentioned, the roots could be a problem,
unless you contained the tree -- which might take some doing.

I almost think that I saw a dwarf palmetto of some sort around here in the
Raleigh area, but I can't remember where. It must have survived the
winters, though, or there wouldn't be much to remember!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"Wayne" wrote in message
news
Does anyone know of a palm tree that will survive the winters in Zone

7A,
North Carolina. I'd like to plant one or two next to my pond in my back
yard. Thanks!

I have a pre-formed, 220 gallon, so I'm not sure if the roots would
penetrate it. However, I'm probably going to do, like many of you have
probably done, add another pond section. I will probably use my pre-form as
a pre-filter for the bigger pond that will be with a liner. I don't want to
plant a bad feature for my potential future pond. I have even thought of
outlining a potential palm tree with concrete, sunk 18-24 inches in the
ground around it. Any thoughts on this idea?