Old 23-02-2004, 01:02 AM
noone

Default how much oxygen is enough for a pond?

Hi all,

I have a 4,000 gallon pond with a waterfall, which provides some oxygenation. I
have been told that I need substantially more oxygenation.
Can anyone tell me how much is enough....is there a thing as TOO MUCH?
My fish load is pretty heavy but my essential water quality numbers are great.
Thanks, in advance.
Happy ponding.
George
Old 23-02-2004, 02:40 AM
RichToyBox

There can never be too much oxygen in a pond. The one true test of whether
you have at least the minimum is to look at the fish first thing in the
morning. Between the algae and other submerged plants consuming oxygen
overnight and the fish consuming oxygen the oxygen level is its lowest and
the fish will be gasping at the surface if there is not enough. I use a
large air pump with air stones to increase the oxygen level in my ponds.
--
RichToyBox

Old 23-02-2004, 03:31 AM
BenignVanilla

"noone" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have a 4,000 gallon pond with a waterfall, which provides some

oxygenation. I
have been told that I need substantially more oxygenation.
Can anyone tell me how much is enough....is there a thing as TOO MUCH?
My fish load is pretty heavy but my essential water quality numbers are

great.
Thanks, in advance.
Happy ponding.
George

You want exactly twice as much Hydrogen as you have Oxygen in the pond, no
more. No less. Seriously, You can't have too much oxygenation in your
pond. Not enough is usually very apparent, as you will often see your fish
gasping at the surface.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 23-02-2004, 03:37 PM
Sam Hopkins

Over 5PPM of O2 is what you are shooting for. Some species can do with less.
Go to your pet store and get an O2 test kit and measure. With a 4000 gallon
pond and a waterfall I highly doubt you need to aerate to add more O2 to the
water.