Old 12-03-2004, 01:33 AM
Ka30P

Default Gnat Question

I won't laugh! ;-)

Dragon and damselflies are in the same order,
Order Odonata. (Then they break down into families.)
Fossils have been found that date back 300 million years. There are 450 species
in North America. They are one of my favorite pond critters. Their power of
flight is so marvelous that the US military sponsored a study of them
to try and see if they could copy their secrets.

kathy :-)

Old 12-03-2004, 03:30 AM
chagoi

Jovon2723 wrote:
Please don't laugh! Are Dragonflies
and Damselflies the same, or are they different insects, but in the same
family?
Couldn't stop thinking about this,
So thought I would ask.

pictures of damsel and dragonflies

checkout:

http://www-chaos.engr.utk.edu/~kde/b...s/ODEpics.html

Basic difference is Damselflies fold their wing up over and parallel
with their bodies. While dragonflies keep their wings out 90 degrees
from their bodies, like airplane wings when they land.

Chagoi
http://ourkoipond.com

Old 12-03-2004, 07:47 AM
KenCo

Ka30P wrote:

I won't laugh! ;-)

Dragon and damselflies are in the same order,
Order Odonata. (Then they break down into families.)
Fossils have been found that date back 300 million years. There are 450 species
in North America. They are one of my favorite pond critters. Their power of
flight is so marvelous that the US military sponsored a study of them
to try and see if they could copy their secrets.

kathy :-)

the mil. couldnt since dragonfly's can move ea. wing
independently.

http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121
Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced

Old 12-03-2004, 02:01 PM
BenignVanilla

"Jovon2723" wrote in message
Please don't laugh! Are Dragonflies
and Damselflies the same, or are they different insects, but in the same
family?
Couldn't stop thinking about this,
So thought I would ask.

The way I understood it...to tell them apart. Dragonfly wings are always
perpendicular to their bodies. Damselflies will fold their wings up when
they land and hold their wins parallel with their bodies.

BV.

Old 13-03-2004, 08:10 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Gnats, everywhere, swarming in little clusters. They don't bite or
anything, and generally mind their own business.

Does this indicate any problem?

Most likely midges, and it means your pond must be healthy, but has enough
debris for the larvae (blood worm) to thrive. They usually hatch heavily in
spring and then slow down. Fish love to eat the larvae.

If I want them to become deceased, is there
a safe way to do it around the pond?

If you don't have predator bugs for them, you will soon. Otherwise pray for
a stiff breeze. ;o) ~ jan
~ jan

Old 15-03-2004, 02:35 AM
BenignVanilla

"stricks760" wrote in message
link.net...
Gnats, everywhere, swarming in little clusters. They don't bite or
anything, and generally mind their own business.

Does this indicate any problem? If I want them to become deceased, is

there
a safe way to do it around the pond?

We have 'em bad in MD in the summer, and the pond seems to attract them.
I've just given up. I eat my share as I work in the yard. Inhale my share.
And just deal with it.

BV.

Old 25-03-2004, 02:18 PM
Zeuspaul

Try a gnat trap and let me know if it works. I did some research and came
up with the following...our season has not yet started so I have not tried
it yet.

Punch several pencil sized holes in the tapered end of a two liter plastic
bottle..best guess two or three inches from the cap. Then place a little
liquid egg bait in the bottle. Mount the bottle with the cap end down on a
stick or?

Liquid egg bait = one or two eggs mixed with a quart of water in a blender.

Discard after two weeks as flies will be attracted to the bait after a
week or two.

stricks760 wrote in article
.net...

Old 25-03-2004, 02:19 PM
Zeuspaul

[...]

Small white/silver worms in potting compost - fungus gnat? Help plse Sunbeam United Kingdom 3 27-08-2004 07:12 PM
Small white/silver worms in potting compost - fungus gnat? Help plse Sunbeam United Kingdom 0 25-07-2004 04:03 PM
Gnat Question stricks760 Ponds 1 10-03-2004 11:18 PM
How do I kill gnat eggs in indoor soil, organically? Melissa Gardening 22 27-10-2003 06:02 PM
gnat hell minerva nine Texas 2 05-04-2003 11:09 AM