Old 13-03-2004, 11:40 PM
Fernando Rivera

Default Bottom Drain

I would like to know if anyone can help me out with a couple questions. I
would like to add a bottom drain to my pond with having the plumbming on top
of the liner, is this possible? It's to late to redo the pond and less cost
effective. Is there any ideas or suggestions, any help would be appreciated.
My pond is currently 12,000 gallons. And i would like an easier time of
cleaning the bottom.

Old 13-03-2004, 11:40 PM
pmwebdesigns

I too am interested in the bottom drain. I am expanding my pond and would
like to know how to add two bottom drains.
The pond will be 15x15 and 4ft deep. Do I need two or one?
I don't have a clue how to do the pipe or anything.
Priss

Old 14-03-2004, 12:37 AM
RichToyBox

You can have the pipe go up and over, but you need to install a Tee and
valve at the top to let air out. Put a backflow preventer between the top
and the bottom drain location to prevent water running back to the pond.
Force water in backwards from the pump or settling basin until all air is
out of the top location, and then it will siphon. Periodically, you will
need to do the forcing of the water, to evacuate the air, since some air is
in the water and that is the location of the highest vacuum, and some air
will separate from the water and accumulate in that location.
--
RichToyBox

Old 14-03-2004, 01:23 AM
Mark Mendell

If you use a skimmer box, you can plumb the drain right into the front of
the box (underneath the skimmer opening) without needing to go "up and
over."

I have one bottem drain in a 15'x30'x4' and it works great. A lot will
depend on the contour of the bottom of the pond.

mmendell

Old 14-03-2004, 01:34 PM
Mark Mendell

Nedra,

It's a Tetra 3 inch, plumbed through the liner with a control valve at the
skimmer. I put my pump (K6 Sequence) and filter (Fluid Art Bead) in my
basement for ease of maintenance. I purchased it through Creative
Waterscapes (along with my skimmer and bead filter). Although my set-up
seems to work great, I built the whole pond without the information I've
gleaned from this forum. I could have saved a lot of money, and a few
headaches had I known about it!

Mark

"Nedra" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Hi Mark,

What is the size of your drain? 2, 3, or 4 inch? and where did
you buy it?

Nedra

Old 14-03-2004, 07:55 PM
Nedra

Thanks Mark
I'll have to stay on the outside of the liner.
My pond has been in for 10 years. Too bad I didn't know
about all the neat stuff that has come out in that time. Sounds
like you have the ideal set-up.

Nedra in Missouri
Zone 6

Old 14-03-2004, 11:26 PM
pmwebdesigns

Mark, what would you do different if you had to.
I want two bottom drains on my new pond ( digging next month) and don't have
a clue what to do.
I went to 3 book stores over the weekend in search of a good pond book.
There were plenty to be found but none had anything on bottom drains!!!!
I was hoping to find something on drains to show me how to set it up and so
fourth.
Priss

Old 15-03-2004, 12:42 AM
Mark Mendell

Priss,

What would I do differently?

As far as the bottom drain goes, not much. How big is your pond? I did a
pretty good job of getting mine in the lowest point, so it does a great job.
The only mistake I made was when I was installing the liner, after I had
connected the bottom drain, I put a plastic cup into the bottom drain hole
to keep debris out, and told myself "Mark, if you don't remember to take
that cup out of the drain, you're going to be very VERY unhappy." Well,
guess what? Some creative snorkeling was in order.

To drain the pond, I then built a U-shaped bypass line that I install in my
skimmer (directly connects the bottom drain to the pump). I can drain a
4500 pond in an hour, if I need to.

What else would I have done differently?

I was under the impression that when I filled it with water (estimated 4500
gallons), the liner would conform to the hole. Unfortunately, I ended up
with some folds that were unsightly. So, take care before you fill it!

I got a great deal on limestone, so that's what I used. I spent a very hot
week in July 2 summers ago moving 20 ton of limestone from my driveway to my
pond (rented a bobcat), and have spent my time ever since moving it back
out. I'm still trying to get rid of the "ring of rock" look.

In order to cover the unsightly creases and liner, I paniced and began
lining the pond with rock. If I were to do it again, I would take great
care with how my liner was laying before adding water, then add maybe a few
large rocks. The liner will disappear eventually. The one up side is that
with all of that limestone in my pond, my ph is very stable!

You're water is going to turn very green. Just be patient, plant lots of
plants, and it will clear. Don't waste your time with chemicals or UV
filters.

What would I NOT do differently?

Many folks on this site use veggie filters exclusively, and that sounds like
a great way to go (not to mention much more inexpensive that my set-up). On
the other hand, I can clean my bead filter whenever necessary in 10 minutes
from my basement. It's pretty slick. Depending on the season, I have to do
it once per week to once every 2 weeks. Flushing it that often, I've seen
no ill effects on the fish.

My pond is outside my back door. I can hear it from my house, and see if
from my kitchen. I see lots of ponders around my area that put their ponds
in the back of their yards. I love having to walk by and peer into mine
every time I leave the house.

I got the bug from my parents, who have a small pond in Kansas (perhaps 5'
by 10') By the second season, they were wishing it were MUCH bigger. I
decided to build as large a pond as I could manage (to my wife's original
dismay). It's 15' x 30' x 4' deep, with 2 water falls and a smaller
"feeder" pond above. I've yet to wish for more pond, and my family loves
it.

I'll bet that response was more than you bargained for, huh!

Mark

Old 15-03-2004, 01:31 AM
pmwebdesigns

No actually it was great! Thank you very much.
You wouldn't believe some of the smart comments I got from another forum.
The pond I have now is 5x11 3½ ft deep. I'm expanding next month to 15x15
4ft deep.
I want to do this pond right so I don't have to mess with it again except to
clean.
I didn't have a bottom drain on the other. Didn't know anything about one
until someone mention I needed one.
Trying to make everything I can because on a one salary it isn't much.
I just bought Greg's CD http://www.geocities.com/bickal2000/pond.htm
so hopefully I can follow that pretty good. I am not a handywoman. lol
I bought a sequence pump, huge pump. Liner will be on the way next weekend.
I'll have mine in the middle of the yard. It will be close to my back patio.
You got pictures on a website?
Priss