Old 21-03-2004, 12:02 PM
Garry & Jeanne

Default Reformed versus By-Roll Pond Liner

We are just now starting to plan our pond and are looking at the preformed
liners like you can get at Home Depot and Lowes, versus the flexible liner
by the roll. We want to put in a pond with a smaller upper pond that flows
via a short "creek" to a large lower pond. What are the differences in:

Installation labor?
Costs?
Durability?
Looks?
etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Old 21-03-2004, 02:59 PM
Drew Cutter

What are the sizes of your ponds Lx W X D ? Do you plan to have Plants ?
Koi ? what part of the country do you live ? This is just a start. You
also got to start thinking about what type of filter you plan to use .
plumbing.

Old 21-03-2004, 02:59 PM
R TISDALE

I have a preformed pond 220 gallons . It works okay if you want a small pond
, I also have a smaller preformed upper pond that we fill with plants to
filter the larger one with a 1200 gal pump that keeps the water well
circulated and it stays very clear . Cost in canadian dollars pond 195.00
small upper pond 40.00 pump 145.00 Take a look I think this link is
correct
http://fp.kwic.com/~rtisdale/pond.htm
nk.net...

Old 22-03-2004, 05:11 AM
RichToyBox

My experience with the preformed ponds was that they started cracking at the
sharp corners along the plant shelves at about 3 years. They don't allow
any shape except the shape they come in. They are very small, even for a
plants only water garden, and totally unsuitable for koi. Liner on the
other hand can be placed in a hole of any shape or size, conforms readily to
the hole without having stress points, and is the only means of having a
sizable pond.
--
RichToyBox

Old 23-03-2004, 06:34 PM
Shay Devening

Wow Garry & Jeanne! Welcome to the world of ponds! Now I would never say
that you must go with one or the other. Probably because I personally have
and have had both. We are just about to put in the fourth pond in our yard
later this season. So here is my input on the questions you asked:

"Garry & Jeanne" wrote in message
nk.net...
We are just now starting to plan our pond and are looking at the preformed
liners like you can get at Home Depot and Lowes, versus the flexible liner
by the roll. We want to put in a pond with a smaller upper pond that flows
via a short "creek" to a large lower pond. What are the differences in:

Installation labor?

Hey for installation labor you want to go with the preformed ponds. One
person in a weekend with a shovel and the time can put in one of these
ponds. Ask my hubby he has put in 3 by himself. But the 2+ weekends of
putting the 34" by 8'x8' sort of liner pond was actually a two person job.
We worked on it evening and weekends as we had the time. Digging wasn't too
bad but lifting the liner was tough! So in our experience the preformed was
easiest.

Costs?

Here it gets really interesting. We purchased 2 preformed ponds at Lowes one
(250gal) $199.99 and one (165gal with spillway) $175.99 then we decided that
the other one I really wanted and it cost $209.99 wasn't really what we
wanted, so we thought to try a liner 15'x15' (we made our sort of 8'x8'pond
from it) $150 shipping included. So for cost of actual liner the roll was
cheaper. And in truth the new pond will be rolled liner, but that is another
tale.

Durability?

Now not to say that a previous poster is wrong but in my family's experience
the preformed ponds are in fact durable if you get them from a quality
manufacturer. I can't say either way on the roll since I have only had one
for about 10 months. BUT my mother begged for years for a pond and 11 years
ago this month she got her first. We installed it in May 1993 and at this
time there are still no leaks or problems it was a MacCourt pond (puddle
really since it's only 100 gallons). But many years we have stood in the
little thing and scooped the muck from the bottom.

Looks?

Looks is such a personal opinion thing. I mean we are working now to fill in
and make the new pond area look the way we like but over the years I had so
many compliments on the old preformed ones. I was able to plant right next
to the edge of the preformed ponds and so they look more old farm ponds in
the summer with the plants growing over the edges hiding them usually by May
1st. I'm working now on the new one but I doubt I will ever really love the
edges.
On the other hand as everyone will probably tell you at least you decide the
shape with a liner. Just don't ask hubby about the corner coves he tried and
when we spent hours trying to safely fold the liner to fit too small a cove.

etc.

Hey and Drew brought up some really great points as well.
Where you live might have a impact on the cost or durability. We are in
Central Illinois here in Zone 5.
Do you want plants? Well most people want at least some plants to really
make it nice. I love Water Lilies and have several hardy ones. I have one
pond with shelves so I don't have many other plants unless they are the
floaters. Or in my bog area that has recently been called the birdbath *LOL*
If you really want Koi you probably should just jump right to the rolled
liner and build a big pond. They do like their space. But hey my little
ponds are full of Comet and Shubunkins and more are born there every year.
And you can get pretty fish for 25cents each.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

There are just so many things to think about when you are seriously thinking
about a pond. I personally think the most important thing is to enjoy it.
Don't let anyone tell you it has to be anything but what you really want.
Shay