Old 24-03-2004, 09:21 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Prazi (praziquantel) Help

I've been asking some questions regarding Prazi myself, on the KHA board.
Because of it being pricey, it's probably a good idea to scrape your fish
to see if they even need such a treatment. One of the nice things about
Prazi is that it won't hurt your filter and one treatment is all that is
needed as it stays active, as long as you don't dilute it with a water
change. One person with experience said he saw a lot of flashing after
treatment, so be prepared for that.

Who was the one that put it in the blender? What happened?

Regarding Koi-zyme, true it is not a cure, but seems to help a fish with
small ulcer starts, ime.

~ jan (Do you know where your water quality is?)

Old 24-03-2004, 04:47 PM
Lee B.

I put it in the blender - got tired of shaking the darn solution. It ended
up sticking to everything, but not blending in. In other words, the side of
the blender got a nice coating, the blades got a nice coating, and the water
only got vaguely milky. I ended up having to take a scrubbie out to the
pond, getting on my belly and scrubbing the container out while under water
(the container - not me!) in the skimmer box. And then I left the scrubbie
in there, too. The stuff is a mess: SupaVerm is MUCH easier to use. It
doesn't mess with the filter, either (and it doesn't require water changes).
Just a distinct possibility that it will do in fish other than koi. Having
tried both - and only having koi - I think I'll stay with Supaverm as long
as I can get it (which may not be for much longer). Prazi is terribly
expensive. Supaverm is much cheaper. Temperature conditions are the same.
And Supaverm DISSOLVES, at least!

Lee

Old 27-03-2004, 02:07 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I put it in the blender - got tired of shaking the darn solution. It ended
up sticking to everything, but not blending in. In other words, the side of
the blender got a nice coating, the blades got a nice coating, and the water
only got vaguely milky. I ended up having to take a scrubbie out to the
pond, getting on my belly and scrubbing the container out while under water
(the container - not me!) in the skimmer box.

LOL! Sorry, but just imagining this.... ;o)

I got my container of Prazi today, and in its defense, at least it has
measurements in tablespoons, for us metric impared. Best of all, I like the
expiration date... September 2007! I was thinking I'd have to find someone
else who might want to buy some, but I think I'll keep it all with that
expiration date. ~ jan

And then I left the scrubbie
in there, too. The stuff is a mess: SupaVerm is MUCH easier to use. It
doesn't mess with the filter, either (and it doesn't require water changes).
Just a distinct possibility that it will do in fish other than koi. Having
tried both - and only having koi - I think I'll stay with Supaverm as long
as I can get it (which may not be for much longer). Prazi is terribly
expensive. Supaverm is much cheaper. Temperature conditions are the same.
And Supaverm DISSOLVES, at least!

Lee

.. .

Old 27-03-2004, 04:09 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I have to fix a misconception I put in here the other day regarding Prazi
staying in the pond unless water changed out. I've since read the
Pondrx.com's Q&A: The Answer:

Prazi will reside in a system at least three days. I can tell you that
because when praziquantel [Droncit] was really expensive, like $7 per pill
from the Vet, you could set up a tank and deworm Discus with it for about
three to four days on the same tank load. Past that, no one thought the
stuff hung around much. So, let's go with three to four days 'residence'
-While it's interesting to note that repeat dosing is not needed for flukes
with Prazi, perhaps because it permeates and stops the developing egg or
embryo like no other medication we have.

~ jan (Do you know where your water quality is?)
Old 29-03-2004, 04:43 PM
Lee B.

So - tell me: did ya try mixing it yet? Even mixing it in Proform-C didn't
do much . . .Supaverm is much easier to use s.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:23 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

So - tell me: did ya try mixing it yet? Even mixing it in Proform-C didn't
do much . . .Supaverm is much easier to use s.
Lee

Yes I did. I used Paracide Green, formalin (and malachite green, I think).
What I didn't know was how much this stuff settles in the container on
shipment, so each Tablespoonful probably had much more than was needed. So
I think I got the desired dose mixed in, the rest floated on the surface
like little bb-sized pieces of styrofoam for a few days.

Fish I was concerned the most with, reacted well, swam around better for a
few days, but now it is back on its side. I'm hoping this is because of
needing time for the gills to heal and with warmer temps it will get
better. I've also started my Koizyme treatments. ~ jan

~ jan (Do you know where your water quality is?)

Old 06-04-2004, 09:27 PM
Lee B.

Yeh - I've had a couple die this year, too. Gills all swollen, o'wise no
external damage. I thought maybe it was the Proform-C - even though it was
well diluted before adding it to the pond. Now I think I've seen chilo. I
purchased a video camera that fits inside my scope so I can view on a TV
(makes scanning much faster); when I see something that warrants
investigation, I pop the camera out, put the eyepiece back in, and get a
better focus. At any rate, chilo at 400X still looks like grains of salt,
but on a 19" TV screen, they're about the size of a thumbnail - much easier
to see. At any rate, I'm afraid to do another round of Proform-C with
suspected gill damage, and afraid NOT to use it. Any suggestions?

Lee

s.com...

Old 06-04-2004, 09:28 PM
RichToyBox

Lee,

I am sure you have looked at Doc Johnson, but if not, he only mentions the
use of salt for chilo. When he was here a couple of years ago, we discussed
the use of the toxic chemicals. I think that he agreed that between salt,
prazi or supaverm, and dimilin or anchors away, that all of the parasites
could be taken care of without any of the formalin type products, fluke
tabs, pp, etc.
--
RichToyBox

Old 06-04-2004, 09:28 PM
Lee B.

Good news! I was able to distinguish (via a comparison side-by-side shot)
that the critter is tetrahymena, not chilodonella. Similar in appearance and
behavior, except that tetrahymena is relatively harmless and requires no
treatment.

Whew! Now I just have to keep an eye on them. Thanks RTB.

Lee

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
Lee,

I am sure you have looked at Doc Johnson, but if not, he only mentions the
use of salt for chilo. When he was here a couple of years ago, we

discussed
the use of the toxic chemicals. I think that he agreed that between salt,
prazi or supaverm, and dimilin or anchors away, that all of the parasites
could be taken care of without any of the formalin type products, fluke
tabs, pp, etc.
--
RichToyBox

prazi [email protected] Ponds (moderated) 2 05-05-2008 12:57 AM
HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
help with high light/high co2 tank out of balance = greenwater :( help J. H. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 08-04-2003 04:44 PM
[IBC] IBCers You can help the list (was: [IBC] Please help me :-))) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 23-03-2003 12:44 AM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 05:09 AM